What's new

Mühle R41 questions

I'm considering buying an R41 and it'll be my first open comb razor as well as my first truly aggressive DE.
I know most of what I need to get started about zero pressure, the steeper angle etc.
I just have a few questions to those of you who own one. (2013 / v2)

1. Would it be worth it to get one with the original handle included? I have a spare Rockwell 6C handle and I know some say the Mühle handle is too light or slippery. I might just get the head and top cap to save some money.

2. Is there a much bigger risk of nicking yourself with the sides of the DE blade with an open comb and the R41's blade gap? I've read it's quite common with shavettes though they have no guard under the blade at all, of course.

3. In general, people recommend a steeper angle than 30 degrees with the R41. Is this true for ATG as well? Some people tend to ride the cap a little bit when going ATG. I usually keep the same angle WTG/XTG/ATG with my Rockwell 6C even with plate 6. I know some say an ATG pass isn't needed with the R41 but I have elastic skin so my stubble tends to "bury" itself in the skin a bit and I might need an ATG but we'll see! I will try a few different blades.

Thanks in advance!

1. IMHO i would get just the head and match it with your 6C. I also have a 6C and the R41 head matched up perfectly with this handle. the original handle is way to light and my R41 is still sitting in its box after just one use.. The 6C handle gives it a little weight and better balance. The trick to 'no pressure' is having some weight on the razor.

2. No idea, i have never nicked myself with the sides of the DE blade

3. In regards to angles, find the angle where you are 'riding the bar' (handle close to your face) is more efficient but not as smooth as 'riding the cap' with the handle away from your face. Considering the R41 has significant blade feel and is plenty efficient i always ride the cap for a more pleasant experience. An ATG in my opinion is always required as it is the only way to achieve BBS, i dont change angles for ATG or XTG or WTG

good luck!!

The R41 handle isn't the grippiest and I don't see anything wrong with using your Rockwell handle. Should work fine. You can experiment with the angle you like best. I like the steep angle with an R41 most of the time but I do "ride the cap" for a shallower blade angle that cuts my chin whiskers easier.

1-suggest you get the handle that the razor designer intended to be used with the razor head. I use and like the Muhle handle. but I generally don't play with mix and match frankenstein razor/handle combo's. Some do and really like the results so you should experiment for yourself. I suggest since you cannot buy a separate handle, get the whole razor as a starting point.

2- Never had a 'side of blade' nick issue with any OC, however if you have not used them OC usually provide more blade feel and nick easier.

3- I suggest you start either riding cap or safety bar and gradually adjust the angle until you are riding the opposite. See how it goes, this is very much a YMMV issue I think.

Get the heavier 2 piece twist version. Heavier and much better.

The handle has never slipped from my hands even covered in soap.

Don't be reluctant to give it a go. I was but find it can be a daily driver now without worry. It's a flawless razor.

It's taken me from 3 passes to 2 with the same bbs results.

I’m often an outlier, but I don’t think much about handles (except their length–I like 3” handles). Whether they’re knurled or smooth, heavy or light, brass or stainless (but not Zamak) doesn’t matter much to me. Even though the R41 is Zamak, I still own three of them (as they’re awesome), two of the 2011 variety and one of the moderns. They each came with a lightweight, short handle. I haven’t swapped out any of the handles, and don’t plan to, even the white porcelain-like handle on one of my 2011s. Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good points!
I won't buy the 2-piece twist model though, since if I want to try another handle I want that option to exist. And if I'm getting one with a handle I'll just get the standard model since I like when the handles are shorter so to speak.
And don't worry, I'm not overthinking it really, I was just curious about those things I asked and you've provided me with some good advice.

all good, thats what this place is all about.. tune back in and give us your thoughts on the razor once you get it

all good, thats what this place is all about.. tune back in and give us your thoughts on the razor once you get it
Being quite new to wetshaving, forums like this and youtube have been very helpful.
I'll definitely post again when I get it. I'm gonna wait until a bit closer to Christmas since the shops will have sales and I can grab some other things as well.

Being quite new to wetshaving, forums like this and youtube have been very helpful.
I'll definitely post again when I get it. I'm gonna wait until a bit closer to Christmas since the shops will have sales and I can grab some other things as well.

i was exactly the same, all my info when new to DE shaving came from forums like this and youtube.. you can gain a lot of knowledge that way but nothing beats experience and you will find all aspects of your shaving will improve as your technique does so dont give up on or sell any equipment till you gain more experience and revisit them

apart from razor, your software and technique to produce good lather is extremely important to a good shave, as is the right blade for you and the razor in question

good luck

If you want to get the complete razor with handle, there a R41 variant called R103. The handles are a little nicer, like this one with the tortoise shell handle.
muhle-safety-razor-open-comb-handle-material-high-grade-resin-tortoiseshell-r103.jpg

If you want to get the complete razor with handle, there a R41 variant called R103. The handles are a little nicer, like this one with the tortoise shell handle.
Thanks, I've seen the other handles. Sadly they seem to have replaced that beautiful red version with a brown one. Here they are side by side, old and new version:
muhle.jpg

If I get one with a handle I think I'll just go with chrome.

Those pictures look identical except for light level and some digital editing.
It might be the material needs bright light to look its best. I think it looks fantastic, myself.

r103-2.jpg

Some nice photos here:

Top Bottom