What's new

Mühle R41 ( MÛhle Customer Service)

After many months of hesitation, because I like to keep my den to a minimum, I finally pulled the trigger on a rose gold handled R41. I wanted to make sure it would be something different that I wouldn’t want to sell after finding out it was no improvement over my other razors. I was excited because I’d read so much about this razor, an innovative design with perfect finish, if we are to believe what people say.
So I received it last Friday. Before I got my first DEs, I was using straights — I got my first DE for travelling mostly, and quicker shaves. Anyway, straights are all unique, beautiful items that are the work of skilled artisans. DEs never shook me, they were always machine made tools to me. Sometimes very well made, but that was it. But the R41, by god, it looks like a jewel!
Anyway, so the feel is great, I can’t see why people would want to put a different handle on them. But some do, and how is that any of my business? I’m not going to go over how wonderful it is because many have already said a lot in that regard.
One thing I wanted to come back to, is how “aggressive” it is, and how it’s not for beginners. I do not agree with this. I don’t have a very coarse beard, although not thin either, but I do have very sensitive skin, and flat hair, and crazy anarchical patterns down my neck, and all over my face for that matter. Now, my cheeks, chin, mustache, and even the dreaded jaw-line were never much of an issue for me, in spite of my face being quite “angular”, which doesn’t make things easier. I never had an issue getting those areas BBS. My neck, however, and especially the lower right side of it, has always been a problem. Hard to get satisfactory results without a bunch of bumps from flat hairs growing back under the skin etc...
Well, I’ve started off with a “beginner’s razor”, a EJ89 that is. To get the results I wanted meant going over the problematic neck area over and over again, which ended up in bad looking redness. For the longest time I thought I should try more gentle razors there, but of course that didn’t help. Then I found this Gillette adjustable in my grandfather’s bathroom, and after using it on setting never higher than setting 4, I bumped it up to 9 one day, to see what an “aggressive” razor feels like. That was the best shave I’d ever got on my neck. Not BBS by any means, but visually satisfactory, and leaving sound skin-colored skin behind. That’s when I realized what I actually needed was an aggressive razor and a gentle touch.
The Mühle R41 took me a step closer to perfection: it is very efficient and requires very little going over the same spot again.
Usually, people associate aggression to this razor. I don’t like the term aggression, as it makes it to be aggressive on the skin. It is not. Is it aggressive on the hair? Absolutely. But is any razor not aggressive on the hair? I mean, the reason we shave is because we want our whiskers cut off, we’re not trying to stroke them gently and beg them into falling off, are we? So the razor is not aggressive, it is efficient, just what a shaving tool ought to be. And the fact that it’s more efficient on each pass than other razors, just makes it a better shaving tool for me.
People also say “it’s not a razor for the beginner”. I disagree with that too. I believe it’s a razor for whoever wants a close shave with minimal rubbing your face with steel; and I believe that’s what every new comer to DE shaving is looking for. Because it’s so efficient, sure you have to be careful. But some go from cartridge to straight. What do you tell those newbies? Don’t it’s too dangerous, try a DE first? I don’t think so. You welcome him to the club, remind him his basics in terms of lather building and light touch and be careful! See I believe it could be the same with the Mühle R41.
In fact, as I’ve said before, picking up gentle razors because they’re for beginners caused me to not enjoy DE shaving at first. I actually ended up picking my Mach III back up because I thought although the sensations were nothing as enjoyable as a single blade’s are, at least I could shave quicker for the same end results.

Do you have to be careful using an R41? Of course you do. I would argue that you need to be careful even with a Mach III. You need to be careful whenever you’re using a sharp tool to cut whiskers off your face. You can butcher your face even with a cartridge razor if you’re not careful enough, and especially if you don’t pay attention to the direction in which your hair grows. Using more efficient razors (≠aggressive!) actually caused me to be more mindful of my beard patterns, and left my skin in better shape than with any other razor I’d used before.

In short, the Mühle R41 is efficient, and that might be just what you need to stop bleeding. That and careful examination of your facial hair so you don’t cut a long hair against the growth right away. It takes caution, but for those like me with sensitive skin and growth patterns that make you dizzy, it takes caution with ANY tool to get a good, irritation-free shave.

The head design allows a wide blade gap, with very little blade exposure. That makes for a blade that is very efficient and solidly fixed, with no flex whatsoever, which is something I’ve found hard to manage on flat lying hair and changing growth patterns, and even a bit scary. It is the best razor I’ve ever used (EJ89, 37C and Gillette Slim before that, plus also GEM 1912 and Schick in the SE department), and also the best-looking/best finished razor I’ve ever had in hand.

Finally, nothing to do with the R41, but I’d gotten a brush and razor stand for my EJ89 a while ago. They’re the best-looking stands available, IMO, well finished and compact. Anyway, my EJ89 didn’t fit, because the narrowed-down part of the handle, right before the head is wider on the EJ89 that it is on the Mühle. I ended up forcing the razor holding bit on my stand so my EJ89 would fit. Later I tried tightening it a bit, when I got me 37C and so on. I ended up breaking the thing. I contacted Mühle with the hope that they would re-send the broken bit. I let them know that it was, obviously my fault a hundred percent — that I’d not been too smart and butchered the beautiful piece of engineering I’d bought from them. They said because of their quality standards they couldn’t send me just the bit because I’d have to damage the “pole” that holds both the brush and razor holders. And it makes sense, if I were to take a picture of my stand and put it online for a SOTD or something, I understand why they wouldn’t want it to interfere with the well-deserved image of their company they’ve worked to accomplish and maintain. However, they offered that I ship it to them so they could repair it, for a modest amount of money. I said that shipping it is going to be expensive, and I’d much rather they just sent the broken bit, but that I understood. They then offered to sell me a new one at 50% off. They were very understanding, and quick at getting back to me the whole time. So not only do they sell premium, innovative items, but their customer service is also top notch. And let’s remember that the new design of the R41 was the result of their taking in feedback and perfecting their product line: they listen to their customer! Again, as I’ve said in my post on Merkur, I’m not in any way affiliated with Mühle, but I thought such great customer care deserved a good word in — or should I say, yet another good word in — in the shaving community.

Oh, and again, to be fair to the beautiful German language (it IS beautiful, don't let those WWII movies with psychopaths on crystalmeth yelling through old-time speakers turn you off), Mühle is pronounced \ˈmyː.lə\.

It certainly is a fantastic shaver. I also purchased the Rosegold R41, but now I use it on a stainless steel handle. :blushing:

The blade gap is actually fairly small, and the exposure is not so little. Razors with very little blade exposure are quite mild, which we know the R41 isn't.

Here's a picture (hopefully) showing the blade gap:

$114456.jpg

And here you can see its blade exposure. BTW, see how the Fatip has an even smaller blade gap, but similar exposure? It is also a fairly aggressive razor.

$Exposure.jpg

It's this blade exposure that allows a wide range of effective shaving angles, from shallow to steep and pretty much everything in between, it's only a matter of personal preference.

Oh and ... ignore the soap scum ... :lol:

Thanks for sharing, Magikflea! Perhaps a Mühle R41 is something I should try sometime in the future.

And.. are you absolutely sure it's not pronounced Mule? :laugh:

$154683314.jpeg

Thanks!

I thought blade exposure was the amount of blade that was not covered by the top cap. Now I understand that it's how much of the blade the geometry of the head lets be in contact with the sorface against which you place the razor. In that case, yes indeed, there's some decent blade exposure on the Mühle R41.

What I meant was that the top cap covering as much of the blade as it does, all the while not preventing high blade exposure, virtually eliminate any flex in the blade, is what I meant. That's where this razor is genious: very little of the blade is beyong the head's grip and control, and yet blade exposure is great.

Thanks!

I thought blade exposure was the amount of blade that was not covered by the top cap. Now I understand that it's how much of the blade the geometry of the head lets be in contact with the sorface against which you place the razor. In that case, yes indeed, there's some decent blade exposure on the Mühle R41.

What I meant was that the top cap covering as much of the blade as it does, all the while not preventing high blade exposure, virtually eliminate any flex in the blade, is what I meant. That's where this razor is genious: very little of the blade is beyong the head's grip and control, and yet blade exposure is great.

Yup ... blade exposure is the portion of the blade that extends past the imaginary tangent line between the cap/doors and the guard/comb.

proxy.php

I agree that the R41 is a very efficient tool. The only one I've found to be more efficient is the Ikon Shavecraft Tech. Give it a whirl sometime!

Similar experiences to yours - coarse beard, sensitive skin, R41 seems a perfect match. I also prefer it with the stock handle, compared to the heavier stainless one I tried - the balance seems better (for me!).

I've been using a R41 for 2 weeks now and I agree it isn't as aggressive as it's made out to be. It's not mild but it's not a monster. My Fatip was way more aggressive, although Fatips aren't all created equal. The R41 even at it's shallowest angle is relatively steep compared to some, like vintage Gillettes, so it feels more aggressive than it is. It's efficient though.

i think the stock handle on the R41 is nice. I love the rose gold jewel finish, and I've never had a problem with slippage. I tried a Tradere handle with the head and it made the shave a bit too agressive for me. The balance and weight (not to mention the aesthetics) are perfect with the handle it comes with.

i think the stock handle on the R41 is nice. I love the rose gold jewel finish, and I've never had a problem with slippage. I tried a Tradere handle with the head and it made the shave a bit too agressive for me. The balance and weight (not to mention the aesthetics) are perfect with the handle it comes with.

Same here. I mean, it started to slip a second once, because I have soap over my hands. True that might not have heppened with the 37C for instance, but also soap has nothing to do on your hands, and so I just wiped them off really quick, and one second later I had a tight grip on my handle again.

Nice, informative thread gents.

I tried the original R.41 and just could not avoid irritation with it. My beard grows in many different directions - particularly on my neck - and the only way I can get a BBS shave is with four passes: N to S, E to W, W to E, and S to N. I give directions instead of saying WTG etc. because for the most part WTG is a meaningless exercise for me since my beard changes directions in so many places. The four passes always resulted in irritation with the R.41 no matter what angle I used.

Hum. I have the same chaotic growth in my neck, but if I overlook it, it's a bloodbath (and I'm talking even with DEs as mild as the EJ89 which which I started wetshaving).

I did hear that the R41 from 2011 was too much for even experienced, careful wetshavers. I've never ever tried it. Maybe you should give the new R41 a shot someday. I mean, if you're like me, you won't bother buying stuff now that you're happy with your shaves. But I've found that rigid blades are more forgiving if I mistakenly go against the growth too soon when I shave (that's why I liked my 1912 DE for a while), and the new R41 holds the blade real well, so much so that you can experiment with different shaving angles without fearing that the blade will flex in and bite you. That's my opinion, at least. That's why I've been liking it so much lately, in fact. It feels rock solid and so does the blade in it.

Hum. I have the same chaotic growth in my neck, but if I overlook it, it's a bloodbath (and I'm talking even with DEs as mild as the EJ89 which which I started wetshaving).

I did hear that the R41 from 2011 was too much for even experienced, careful wetshavers. I've never ever tried it. Maybe you should give the new R41 a shot someday. I mean, if you're like me, you won't bother buying stuff now that you're happy with your shaves. But I've found that rigid blades are more forgiving if I mistakenly go against the growth too soon when I shave (that's why I liked my 1912 DE for a while), and the new R41 holds the blade real well, so much so that you can experiment with different shaving angles without fearing that the blade will flex in and bite you. That's my opinion, at least. That's why I've been liking it so much lately, in fact. It feels rock solid and so does the blade in it.

I may give it another shot some day. However, first I need to thin out my razor collection. As it is now, I shave with one razor until I change blades and then go on to the next. It takes a long time to go through the rotation.

$razors.jpeg

Top Bottom