What's new

Mühle r41 first shave, surprisingly mild?

After reading some threads here, I bought myself a Mühle R41. Used it the first time today with a Wilkinson Classic, and I have to say it is surprisingly mild, milder than my other safety razor (some random butterfly razor I bought at a fancy grooming shop)
I got 0 nicks and no irritation, but the shave is quite close, but not the closest I got to date

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
After reading some threads here, I bought myself a Mühle R41. Used it the first time today with a Wilkinson Classic, and I have to say it is surprisingly mild, milder than my other safety razor (some random butterfly razor I bought at a fancy grooming shop)
I got 0 nicks and no irritation, but the shave is quite close, but not the closest I got to date
Well done!

what was your shave angel? FWIW when I use a steep angle with my R41 - handle closer to parallel to my face I get a much more aggressive shave with much more blade feel. If I use a neutral angle - both safety bar and top cap equally against skin - I get a much milder shave.

what was your shave angel? FWIW when I use a steep angle with my R41 - handle closer to parallel to my face I get a much more aggressive shave with much more blade feel. If I use a neutral angle - both safety bar and top cap equally against skin - I get a much milder shave.
I found that out too, still rather mild. Could be that my previous razor was extremely aggressive.

Each time someone goes on about ‘The Beast’, I cringe.

While I no longer use the R41 regularly and have moved on to Tatararazors, the R41 and its Mühle open comb brethren are still very capable razors that can give close and comfortable shaves.
Yes, it is an aggressive razor - in the sense that it has a generous blade gap and positive blade exposure, but neither rules out a comfortable shave.

But, like many things in life, it does help to know what one is doing and the R41 is not something for amateurs with sloppy beard prep and technique.

With respect to a steep angle; from straight razors I only know too well that the angle is important and I also know that the safety razor was designed to be used within a certain shallow angle.

If anyone wants to use his razor differently that‘s his business, of course, but AFAIC at a certain angle we move from shaving territory into scraping territory and that is no something that appeals to me.

So a ‘Beast’?
Certainly not.
But capable tool for people who know what they are doing?
Certainly, yes - even if there may be better (and pricier) solutions out by now.

B.

Each time someone goes on about ‘The Beast’, I cringe.

While I no longer use the R41 regularly and have moved on to Tatararazors, the R41 and its Mühle open comb brethren are still very capable razors that can give close and comfortable shaves.
Yes, it is an aggressive razor - in the sense that it has a generous blade gap and positive blade exposure, but neither rules out a comfortable shave.

But, like many things in life, it does help to know what one is doing and the R41 is not something for amateurs with sloppy beard prep and technique.

With respect to a steep angle; from straight razors I only know too well that the angle is important and I also know that the safety razor was designed to be used within a certain shallow angle.

If anyone wants to use his razor differently that‘s his business, of course, but AFAIC at a certain angle we move from shaving territory into scraping territory and that is no something that appeals to me.

So a ‘Beast’?
Certainly not.
But capable tool for people who know what they are doing?
Certainly, yes - even if there may be better (and pricier) solutions out by now.

B.
Can you name some (aggressive) safety razors you can recommend?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I felt a bit adventurous this morning so I took a yaqi Mellon head top cap and put it on my R41 base plate with a brand new nacet. Really nice shave BBS with no irration i dont know if adding the yaqi top cap made any difference or it was just my imagination 😅

Can you name some (aggressive) safety razors you can recommend?

Sure, glad to help.

I replaced my Mühle R101 (R41 with black handle) with stainless steel Tatararazors.
First the Masamune Nodachi, later the Muramasa adjustable, when this one became available

The former has a longer handle than the R41 and is available as open comb, closed comb, and with both heads, the latter has a slighly shorter handle than the R41, but as a novelty the user can actively adjust blade gap and blade exposure.

Interestingly, blade gap and exposure of the Masamune Nodachi is identical for the open and closed comb versions and aggressiveness and closeness turns out to be the same for both versions too.
This drives home the message that open comb is essentially only a different way of guiding the lather around and through the razor’s head and that the results of a shave and its aggressiveness are a function of blade gap and exposure, not so much whether the head has teeth or a bar.

That the R41 got its reputation for aggressiveness would therefore not be a consequence of the open comb design, but a consequence of blade gap and exposure.

Tatararazors are not cheap, but they are made from stainless steel, are exquisitely finished, and consistently give me BBS results that compare favourably to my straight razors - better in fact than the R41.

I am still sitting on the fence as to whether I like the non-adjustable Masamune Nodachi or the adjustable Muramasa better, but at less than half the price (€149 vs €329) - and giving me for all purposes identical results - the Masamune Nodachi with its ergonomic longer handle has clearly a head start…

B.

Sure, glad to help.

I replaced my Mühle R101 (R41 with black handle) with stainless steel Tatararazors.
First the Masamune Nodachi, later the Muramasa adjustable, when this one became available

The former has a longer handle than the R41 and is available as open comb, closed comb, and with both heads, the latter has a slighly shorter handle than the R41, but as a novelty the user can actively adjust blade gap and blade exposure.

Interestingly, blade gap and exposure of the Masamune Nodachi is identical for the open and closed comb versions and aggressiveness and closeness turns out to be the same for both versions too.
This drives home the message that open comb is essentially only a different way of guiding the lather around and through the razor’s head and that the results of a shave and its aggressiveness are a function of blade gap and exposure, not so much whether the head has teeth or a bar.

That the R41 got its reputation for aggressiveness would therefore not be a consequence of the open comb design, but a consequence of blade gap and exposure.

Tatararazors are not cheap, but they are made from stainless steel, are exquisitely finished, and consistently give me BBS results that compare favourably to my straight razors - better in fact than the R41.

I am still sitting on the fence as to whether I like the non-adjustable Masamune Nodachi or the adjustable Muramasa better, but at less than half the price (€149 vs €329) - and giving me for all purposes identical results - the Masamune Nodachi with its ergonomic longer handle has clearly a head start…

B.
Thx, looking into it. After I get myself a new SR I'll get myself something like that. I will definitely consider Tatara, because they are one of the few razor availible in Europe (without unbearable shipping times)

Sure, glad to help.

B.
I like the combination of using the masamune top cap with the nodachi base plate. The R41 gs is also hard to beat.

Sure, glad to help.

B.

The Tatara Nodachi is one of my all time favourite razors. I eventually got the open comb base, as i found that the efficiency level is slightly higher without sacrificing any comfort.

if you like the R41 you may like the blackbird. The Rex Envoy could be another. If you want to take it up a notch or three you could look for the Stirling ST or HA on the BST, as they only did a single production run.
Those are some good recommendations.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Ikon TEK is a very aggressive razor.

My favorite DE razor is the Blackland Razors Titanium Blackbird.

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale is a fine shaving slant that won't break the bank.

The Karve Brass SB-G is a highly efficient razor that is still quite smooth.

Or, if you really want to go over the edge, check out the Roedter 1909. Be warned, though, that this is not a serious recommendation. ;)

Top Bottom