Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Muhle Monday
IMG_20221114_213202.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Personna Platinum (14)
Soap: MdC Original
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF with bog oak handle

Tonight the setup was one of my all time favourites, MdC is my second favourite soap and the lather is always slick. I know I always seem to use the Muhle Kosmo on Mondays, but that is because when combined with MdC or SV soap it is just pure joy, the feel is amazing. The Rocca combined with the Personna Platinum blade is one of my absolute favourite combos and never disappoints.
The result was, although not quite a BBS, just a joyful shave and if I had more time maybe I would have liked to do 4 or 5 passes instead of 3.

Well, in honor of @Guido75's topic, I set aside my '48-50 Aristocrat that I haven't used in ages and went with my R95 and matching STF brush. Blade was a new Nacet and shaving cream was just-delivered-today La Toja. While I've used a puckified stick for a few years, I'd never gotten around to trying their shaving cream. The tube I got has the classic La Toja scent whereas their current stick didn't (to my nose, anyway). Great shaving cream if you like the scent (I do).
Anyway, excellent shave with my usual three passes and clean-up. Aftershave was T&H Trafalgar balm. Love the T&H aftershave balms but they're ridiculously priced and no better than a hundred other products that sell for 10-15% of the price. But...no one else has the terrific Grafton, 1805, and Trafalgar scents and bottles will last a looooong time, especially if mixed with a scentless product like Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel.

Reposted photo as people like looking at pretty things. ;)

fullsizeoutput_44f5.jpeg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Mühle Monday
20221114_141134~2.jpg

Razor: Frankenrazor SLOC/R41 Rosegold
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M Emerald Green (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic
Fragrance: Brut Original EdT Spray
20221114_141234~2.jpg

Excellent shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12011862

Date
365 days of shaving327/325
(100%)
GRUME21/30 (100%)
NOCvember
21/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes2 and light touch up
WXTGCB Curve
(NW-SE & NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
9.5/10 (One small nick)
9.5/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95
Mühle R41 with Lasta Blue Handle
Eddison (4)
Timor (1)
Onega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Battle of my giants today: Timeless versus R41. Timeless with an Eddison on a fourth outing and the R41 with a fresh Timor blade. The R41 on the left side of my face and the Timeless on the right.

Right of the bat the R41 got down to business. The Timor was comfortable but not smooth. The combination still performed really well on the first pass.

On the right side the Times took care of business. The Eddison was smooth and comfortable and did a terrific job. The combination performed excellent.

Left to right comparison leads me to belief that the R41 may have had the upper hand. However on the second pass the Timeless took the helm and won by a toes length at the finish line - mainly because of two reasons: I had a weeper on the R41 side and post shave the Timeless had done a better job at my probleem areas.

Both delivered an amazing shave. Overall the Timeless was more comfortable, but I blame that more on the Timor blade than the R41.

GRUME and NOCvember post, day 23
Still In

Better late than never:
Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
Muhle Mondays
MdC Mondays
Synthetic Sundays

PXL_20221123_144904323.jpg

Hot shower, cold splashes and glycerine soap
Muhle Rocca Birch Bark
Gillette Platinum (22)
Muhle XL STF brush
MdC Rose

Hey Guys
Its always nice to spend time with family and do special things different from the daily routine but there comes a time when "hey it's good to be back home again" as John Denver would say.
Kathy and I and our two puppies spent 15 hours on the road to get home. We thought about a motel but when we left North Carolina, we knew we wanted to be home and arrived late and tired. I didn't feel like a shave last night.

But guess what, today, we slept in late and it is a new day! I missed posting on a few threads so I am playing catch up with all you guys.

I used Glyce lime soap and a quick application of thick Mdc for pre-shave prep. The soap developed a beautiful lather that still had a shiny sheen to it ten minutes later. I spent extra time sliding, gliding and having a good time. (Do some of us remember the old cartridge days when shaving was a chore?). I ended up with a DFS and am still enjoying it as I write...and it's good to be back home again!

"Take care of yourself and each other." as Lester Holt says.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day in the U.S., but I try to be grateful on a daily basis.

Date
365 days of shaving335/331
(100%)
GRUME28/30 (100%)
NOCvember
28/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Gillette EFBT with Blue Lasta handle
Timor (2)
Bolzano (7)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Stirling Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)8.5/10 (some minor weepers ATG)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

A great shave this morning with the Mühle at bat first. It took care of almost all the stubble on the first pass. The Timor blade behaves well in the R41. Sharp, smooth and comfortable - liking that! Next up was the Tech and on the cheeks it almost felt I wasn't using a blade at all. ATG to finish everything off and BBS was smooth and comfortable.

Two more days in GRUME November and two more days of enjoyment in NOCvember! And my first anniversary is coming up too: one year of DE shaving (and not going back to something else!).

Detailed shave notes can be found: here

Enjoy your days everyone!

Day 28
GRUBF...Still In
GRUME...Still Out
NOCvember
Muhle Monday
MdC Monday

PXL_20221128_162126362.jpg

Muhle Rocca Birch Bark
Gillette Platinum (28)
Muhle XL STF brush
MdC Rose soap

Hey Guys
First the good news. I had an excellent shave today. With good prep, lather and technique I achieved a DFS without any difficulty. I am getting close to my record for using the same blade- It is 29 or 30 so I will have to go to at least 31.
The Avon bowl was found at a thrift store a couple months ago. It worked fine but is a little small so it is returning to the kitchen.

Now to the bad news. I usually take a photo before I shave and send it to my desktop computer for editing. I forgot to bring the items in the house. Our charming cat Chloe had knocked everything off the rail. Thankfully nothing was broken but the brush was missing. I saw our dog Maggie in the yard chewing something and yes, it was the brush. Half the handle is gone and large tufts of the brush fibers are gone. I cleaned what remained and did manage to lather but sad to say, the brush is no longer usable. It's OK, but that was a mighty fine brush. I haven't asked Kathy to replace it (I'm still GRUMEing) but I think she is up to something good.

Take care of yourself and each other.

Mike M

Muhle Monday
IMG_20221128_121416.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum(12)
Soap: MdC Original
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF with Bog Oak handle

Tonight MdC Original did the honours lathered with the Kosmo for no other reason than I love the MdC/Kosmo combination. As usual it produced an incredibly slick lather and a comfortable shave. I tried the Rocca/BIC combo again hoping to complete the three passes with no weepers and this time I managed to get away with it.
The result was a DFS on the neck but an all round good result.

Mike M

Day 28
GRUBF...Still In
GRUME...Still Out
NOCvember
Muhle Monday
MdC Monday

PXL_20221128_162126362.jpg

Muhle Rocca Birch Bark
Gillette Platinum (28)
Muhle XL STF brush
MdC Rose soap

Hey Guys
First the good news. I had an excellent shave today. With good prep, lather and technique I achieved a DFS without any difficulty. I am getting close to my record for using the same blade- It is 29 or 30 so I will have to go to at least 31.
The Avon bowl was found at a thrift store a couple months ago. It worked fine but is a little small so it is returning to the kitchen.

Now to the bad news. I usually take a photo before I shave and send it to my desktop computer for editing. I forgot to bring the items in the house. Our charming cat Chloe had knocked everything off the rail. Thankfully nothing was broken but the brush was missing. I saw our dog Maggie in the yard chewing something and yes, it was the brush. Half the handle is gone and large tufts of the brush fibers are gone. I cleaned what remained and did manage to lather but sad to say, the brush is no longer usable. It's OK, but that was a mighty fine brush. I haven't asked Kathy to replace it (I'm still GRUMEing) but I think she is up to something good.

Take care of yourself and each other.
That is a shocking loss of a fantastic piece of shaving hardware and you have my deepest sympathy. Perhaps you need to have conversations with your beloved regarding your distress at your loss, coupled with some gentle reminders about the holiday season coming up and the tradition of gift giving

That is a shocking loss of a fantastic piece of shaving hardware and you have my deepest sympathy. Perhaps you need to have conversations with your beloved regarding your distress at your loss, coupled with some gentle reminders about the holiday season coming up and the tradition of gift giving
And you might want to add to your beloved that this is why you believe in having spares!

Guido

LOL...I am blessed and will be fine...Kathy (my wife) has already taken steps to remedy the situation.

Honorary shave for GongGong - Doug's @Rosseforp late father-in-law. May he play MahJong in peace with his buddies.

Date
365 days of shaving342/338
(100%)
GRUME December5/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes2 and touch up pass (XTG)
WXTGCB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95 SC
Timor (6)
Eddison (11)
Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Proraso
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Small weeper on the right side of the road)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (Smoothish)

Notes to today’s shave:

For this honorary shave I brought out the big guns. The R41 took the lead for the first pass. The Timor performed very well, but was also tuggy - for the second time in a row. It may be therefore the blade needs to be retired after a very respectable 6 shaves all of which were very well. I will give it one more go in the Tech for tomorrow. Three times is a charm.

The Timeless took the excellent first pass over the BBS finish line together with the Eddison blade. I required a bit more touch up / buffing signaling this blade is nearing the end of its lease as well. Superb performance in my book with 11 shaves at present. No tugging, no irritation, no harshness yet whatsoever.

The Omega boar was hungry again this morning and lathering up was proving more of a challenge than usual. My boar is super soft with just enough backbone. A joy to use.

Floïd's was nice and Nivea was nourishing. Nice kickstart of the week!

Enjoy your day!

Additional shave notes can be found here

IMG_20221205_093551.jpg

No surprises with Bic blade, R89 and RR Silvertip BC... got a mountain of Cella to prove it ☺️
After month of R41 and R94 rotation revisited R89 to see how it stands. In one line "it doesn't take more than it's required, no whiskers no skin surface" smooth WTG+ATG passes for 0 AS feedback. If you trust it - it'll deliver BBS, just let it slow and enjoy the extra time

Top Bottom