What's new

Mühle maintaince oil

It says developed in collaboration with Ballistol so I would think it is a mineral oil but expensive in the aerosol application. It won't affect metals and they say protects straight razors and wooden handles too.
You could use mineral oil from your local store and that is readily available and much cheaper.
I use light machine oil in general for lubricating threads.

Last edited:
It says developed in collaboration with Ballistol so I would think it is a mineral oil but expensive in the aerosol application. It won't affect metals and they say protects straight razors and wooden handles too.
You could use mineral oil from your local store and that is readily available and much cheaper.
I use light machine oil in general for lubricating threads.
The problem is I don’t exactly understand which oils are mineral only . And aren’t machine oils unhealthy ?

Ballistol Universalöl (universal oil) has been around since 1904 and has been successfully used for generations on shaving equipment. In fact, many consider it THE standard oil for razors.

It is a mineral oil, meaning that it is obtained through distillation, but that molecular chains are not altered like in case of synthetic oils.
Regarding your question whether it might be ‘unhealthy’, it is solely meant for external use and shall not be swallowed or inhaled.

As per the manufacturer, Ballistol Universalöl can be used for
After-treatment of small wounds, care of dry spots or protection of the hands - Ballistol Universal Oil has also proven itself in many different ways for humans. It is based on medically pure white oil, is food-safe, skin-friendly, completely harmless and fully biodegradable.

The classic (and economic) form is in a 500 ml can, in spray form it is convenient but more expensive.
Buying rebranded Ballistol spray from Mühle should be even more expensive.
You might as well fill a small (30-50 ml) spray bottle from a 50 ml bottle or 500 ml can of Ballistol Universalöl yourself.

B.

Last edited:
I've used Ballistol before. It works and is safe enough but it stinks. Some people say it smells like licorice but to my nose, it doesn't. It does have penetrating qualities should you need such.

I have Wahl oil that I use on my clippers. It comes in 4 oz bottles so I chose to use it on my razors as well. Thicker than Ballistol. No scent. And it tends to stay put better than Ballistol.

Edited to add: One of the other reasons why I stopped using Ballistol is that I am told that it can affect nickel plating, especially if the plating already has cracks or pits.

I'm not sure if Muhle's formulation is adjusted to prevent such occurrences.

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Hello, it is a rebranded Ballistol aerosol (mineral oil).
Completely harmless to metal, but is water soluble, so you either reoil after every use or find another product.
The spray can is imho not the best solution to oil small spots.
Has a strong almond scent.

I use a tiny dab of plumber's grease on DE threads, especially on titanium to prevent galling. It's obviously resistant to bring washed out and I had a tube in my bathroom anyway (to lubricate the o-rings on the key for the gas boiler).

I believe you're over-processing. Non-straight razors rarely, if ever, need oil. You're daily, or at least a few times weekly, immersing them in soapy water. The oil...washes off.

The only exceptions to the no-oil policy would be zamac 3 pieces razors, at the threads. A small dab of plumbers-silicone on the threads will prevent deforming and galling. Opinions will differ, but this is the only mechanical reason for lubrication and protection.

I've used Ballistol before. It works and is safe enough but it stinks. Some people say it smells like licorice but to my nose, it doesn't. It does have penetrating qualities should you need such.

I have Wahl oil that I use on my clippers. It comes in 4 oz bottles so I chose to use it on my razors as well. Thicker than Ballistol. No scent. And it tends to stay put better than Ballistol.

Edited to add: One of the other reasons why I stopped using Ballistol is that I am told that it can affect nickel plating, especially if the plating already has cracks or pits.

I'm not sure if Muhle's formulation is adjusted to prevent such occurrences.
Ballistol is one of the very few copper/brass cleaners that can be safely used with nickel plate (Hoppes #9 being notoriously quoted as one that is not, but certainly not as damaging as some claims). I've used Ballistol for decades on my nickel plated Colt SAAs exactly for that reason. Any penetrating oil can "lift" metal plate if damaged, so the best protectant on scratched or damaged plating of any kind is a dry or semi-dry wax like Renaissance Wax.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I recommend Wahl clipper oil, comes in a black bottle with a red tipped top cap. It doesn't cost very much, is vegetable based, so its safe for the razor and your skin. You don't want to use petroleum based oils which can eat coatings off of metal surfaces.

proxy.php

I have a 3 ounce bottle of 3-in-one brand multi purpose oil that I bought years ago, probably at Walmart or someplace like that. It's not expensive and has a pointed applicator tip. I put a tiny bit on the threads of my 3 piece razors when I change blades or store them away when I switch to a different razor. Have never had a problem.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have various oils that would probably be fine... clipper oil, food safe mineral oil fo knife blades and handles, and I'm sure I have a few others around that would be appropriate. I'm using a stainless steel handle with an anodized aluminum head.. Lupo DE alum w/ a ESC Evo handle... dissimilar metals are a no-no... but maybe with the anodizing, it's moot....

By a cheap can of 3 in One Oil. It's a mineral oil lubricant in use for at least 100 years. There are many other fancier and spendier oils available, but, even for lubricating a flintlock, it has been demonstrated that simple 3 in 1 can give faster lock time leading to quicker ignition and increased accuracy. In a razor, 3 in 1 won't react with soap and is not irritating to skin.
DSCN0666.jpg

Top Bottom