What's new

Mr Rogers

There's some post-Pvt Ryan stuff out there that you might want to reconsider. You've Got Mail was a fun, light and frothy rom-com and Hanks had great chemistry with Meg Ryan. The Green Mile is one of the best movie adaptations of a Stephen King book and Hanks is excellent in it. Road To Perdition is an excellent movie and I love it because Hanks plays against type - a disciplined killer who shows that there is honor even among thieves. Captain Phillips where he plays the captain of an unarmed cargo ship taken over by Somali pirates. There may be others too but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

I am from the school that thinks an actor is only as good as those around him. What makes Hanks so good is that, even with NO ONE around him, as in Castaway, he can turn in such a stellar performance. Further, his ability to be believable across multiple genres is something few leading men can manage with such aplomb.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am from the school that thinks an actor is only as good as those around him. What makes Hanks so good is that, even with NO ONE around him, as in Castaway, he can turn in such a stellar performance. Further, his ability to be believable across multiple genres is something few leading men can manage with such aplomb.
Puts me in mind of JJJJJimmy Stewart. Otherwise known as @KeenDogg !

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If time travel were possible, Jimmy Stewart would play Mr Rogers greatly.

He made the blueprint for Mr. Rogers to follow.

Cute movie but... not really.

I realized watching the movie yesterday there was a danger of interpreting Mr. Rogers along those lines, though. Many people now days are unfamiliar with the spiritual depth found in someone like Fred Rogers, perhaps because liberal mainline Protestant churches have dramatically declined in numbers and cultural prominence in the past 40 years or so.

Top Bottom