What's new

Mr Rogers

For ME, I did not see Hanks at all. He WAS a really human Mr Rogers.

During the credits, after several folks had actually gotten up and left, a clip was played of Fred from around the late 60's would be my guess.

It was only then did I notice that Hanks didn't sound exactly like him. But his manner was spot on.

Now I think I have to go see the movie. It's been a long time since I bothered going to the theaters.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Now I think I have to go see the movie. It's been a long time since I bothered going to the theaters.
Me as well. The last time, as I recall, was the "Mary Poppins" reboot.

We then came home and watched the original.

The actress was lovely in the reboot, but was no Julie Andrews.

The actor was okay, but again, no Dick Vandyke.

Sorry. Poorly worded.

I guess I expected a "feel good" movie.
It just brought up some feelings that I can't fully explain. Yet. The reporter and his Dad, mostly.

Almost on a.... I'm at a loss for words, if you can believe that! Lol!

I guess a ... visceral level, beyond the brain, even emotional. Visceral, primal.

I'm really sorry. I'm at a loss, not trying to be vague. I'm being silly, over a movie! But dang it Bones, I simply don't have words. I'll work on it, as I feel I HAVE to. Sorry if I sound strange. Or stranger than normal!

Hearing you struggle for words to describe the movie is exactly why I want to see it. I have a tendency to lose myself in movies and open myself up to whatever emotional engagement the movie is trying for with the audience. I too am old enough to have grown up watching Mr. Rogers, although I can't say that I was a die hard fan. But when there were limited channels and even less shows on to watch, you watched them, if that makes any sense.

And I tend to be a cryer, so don't worry about being a girly man. You're in good company. I've watched Field of Dreams and cry my eyes out every single time I watch it. The scene where he plays catch with his dad. It hits me every time probably because my relationship with mine wasn't so great either and as children and men we always seek a stronger bond or connection with our fathers. I also cry my eyes out every time I watch Dances With Wolves. Just a coincidence that it's another Kevin Costner movie. I don't particularly like him as an actor but the subject matter of those two films gets me every time. Especially the scene where he is leaving the tribe and the younger guy cries out in the snow covered woods "Do you see that I am your friend?" and repeats it over and over. I'm balling like a baby as I type this for christ sake. Costner definitely knows how to tug at heartstrings. Another one that gets me is Serendipity. Not sure why but I suppose maybe I feel I'm missing something in my own life.

Anyway, now that I've stopped crying, no, make that balling, I can see the computer screen again and finish this post. I guess I need to see this movie. It may not hit me as viscerally as it did you but it could.

I enjoyed Mr Rogers when my kids were growing up, but I haven't liked a Tom Hank's film since Private Ryan. As much as I hate SNL, I'd sooner watch Eddie Murphy's version, although this one doesn't have the police knocking at the door and him climbing out the window.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I enjoyed Mr Rogers when my kids were growing up, but I haven't liked a Tom Hank's film since Private Ryan. As much as I hate SNL, I'd sooner watch Eddie Murphy's version, although this one doesn't have the police knocking at the door and him climbing out the window.

Lol, not the same kind of funny, but still genius.

I enjoyed Mr Rogers when my kids were growing up, but I haven't liked a Tom Hank's film since Private Ryan.

There's some post-Pvt Ryan stuff out there that you might want to reconsider. You've Got Mail was a fun, light and frothy rom-com and Hanks had great chemistry with Meg Ryan. The Green Mile is one of the best movie adaptations of a Stephen King book and Hanks is excellent in it. Road To Perdition is an excellent movie and I love it because Hanks plays against type - a disciplined killer who shows that there is honor even among thieves. Captain Phillips where he plays the captain of an unarmed cargo ship taken over by Somali pirates. There may be others too but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

I havent seen it but I want to. I tried to talk my wife into going but she thinks its going to be cheesy. Ive been listening to the NPR podcast, "Finding Fred", which kind of delves into the psychology of Mr Rodger's Neiborhood and have been really enjoying it. The podcast is quite good.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Me as well. The last time, as I recall, was the "Mary Poppins" reboot.

We then came home and watched the original.

The actress was lovely in the reboot, but was no Julie Andrews.

The actor was okay, but again, no Dick Vandyke.
lol no dick vandyke. The dick vandyke .... He was in the re make!
I havent seen it but I want to. I tried to talk my wife into going but she thinks its going to be cheesy. Ive been listening to the NPR podcast, "Finding Fred", which kind of delves into the psychology of Mr Rodger's Neiborhood and have been really enjoying it. The podcast is quite good.
Its well done definitely not cheesy at all.
Ill see it again when it hits cable. In fact in today's era its almost a fantasy that someone like him existed at all.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
More trivia... Tom Hanks and Fred Rogers are related. 6th cousins.

I look forward to the movie

I saw the movie and I think Tom Hanks did a great job, especially because it's very different from his other roles.

The story, however, is merely inspired by real life- significant liberties are taken: there are things about it I'm left wondering about. The movie tries to fit a character as complex as Mr. Rogers into a relatable, almost stereotypical Hollywood drama. That's a difficult proposition, and at times it risks being interpreted as a pedantic moralism that I think wasn't something that Fred Rogers was really about.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There's some post-Pvt Ryan stuff out there that you might want to reconsider. You've Got Mail was a fun, light and frothy rom-com and Hanks had great chemistry with Meg Ryan. The Green Mile is one of the best movie adaptations of a Stephen King book and Hanks is excellent in it. Road To Perdition is an excellent movie and I love it because Hanks plays against type - a disciplined killer who shows that there is honor even among thieves. Captain Phillips where he plays the captain of an unarmed cargo ship taken over by Somali pirates. There may be others too but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
Road to Perdition was an excellent movie. One day I will get around to seeing The Green Mile.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
lol no dick vandyke. The dick vandyke .... He was in the re make!

Its well done definitely not cheesy at all.
Ill see it again when it hits cable. In fact in today's era its almost a fantasy that someone like him existed at all.

FarmerTan

I will DEFINITELY be finding the podcasts! Thank you so much.

Mr. Roger's brought a simple message to our lives. It is always impressive when someone lives their faith. The world needs more Mr. Rogers. Especially now.

apparently fred was a fan of Eddie

Top Bottom