What's new

Mr Razor is CORRECT

It did devastate the trade, along with some of the marketing advertising done by Gillette. Instead of creating an ongoing war, Gillette then enlisted the Barbers to sell the razors, offering a "cut" of each kit sold to the barber. Without knowing for sure, it makes me wonder if the barbers were able to buy the kits at a lower price than the drug store and other vendors. Did the local barber offer kits that were significantly or even slightly different than that of the retailer?

Both my Barber growing up (Until about 1987) and another Barber I had (20 years ago) until he died, embraced the DE safety razor and had displays of them even after they left the shelves in the US. I never really asked about them as I had not yet ventured into DE, but find it interesting now, especially since you don’t see modern, cartridge style razors displayed. I hear stories all the time about old stashes of Gillette salespeople from way back. I think if they were smart, they would have given Barbers discounts. What better way to move your product?

The 1920's represented an era of change and growth, hence the Roaring Twenties. The 1930's in turn was about protecting and saving yourself, getting ahead or at least out of a hole. Better had to be right around the corner because "where I am isn't better". The 20's were Dynamic and the 30's were, in many senses, Static.
New was better.

Top Bottom