What's new

Mozingo Shaving Brushes

Does anyone know what happened with Mozingo? I just received a mozingo shaving brush from @Timeclo and the brush is awesome. His website is available for sale and no longer lists on etsy.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
11-29-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.JPG

My Mozingo brush is also very much to my liking, but I have a problem. I've purchased a handle with the intent of having Brett install one of his knots. However, I'm unable to get in touch with him. Emails sent to him at the email address published on his website have bounced.

I very much hope he's alive and well and still in the brush making, knot making, and knot installation business.

Anyone know anything? Particularly how to proceed?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
11-29-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.JPG

My Mozingo brush is also very much to my liking, but I have a problem. I've purchased a handle with the intent of having Brett install one of his knots. However, I'm unable to get in touch with him. Emails sent to him at the email address published on his website have bounced.

I very much hope he's alive and well and still in the brush making, knot making, and knot installation business.

Anyone know anything? Particularly how to proceed?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Brett responded to me on Facebook. Here is his new email address...

[email protected]

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Anyone have a ZT4?

1-5-22.Athena.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.JPG

Yes, mine is the ZT4.

I'm looking to buy a special badger knot in a fan shape.

It's special in my opinion. I will receive a second ZT4 knotted brush soon.

Are these hand tied?

My understanding from Brett is yes they are.

Indeed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Brett only makes fans as far as I know. His fans are close to true fans rather than the hybrids most makers offer—I’ve got a ZT3 that’s almost a flattop.
I was wondering what the difference is (or was) between the ZT3 and 4. I like the look of your 3.
Same with DG knots. There is a 13, 14 and 15 with very little info on the difference.

The one above is my ZT4. Here is my ZT3:
134BFEF6-A9D0-4514-9686-C68200F75BA0.jpeg

These knots are very similar. I like the ZT4 just a little more. It maybe has just a little more scrub, but in a very nice way. Both knots splay perfectly and have just the right backbone with soft tips. The tips also are not treated at all, which is impressive given how soft they are.

I have a B14 DG, which is also a great brush, but I like my Mozingos more.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What's the difference between the ZT1, ZT2, ZT3 and ZT4 knots?

10-20-22.Mozingo.Brush.New.640.JPG

1-8-24.ATT-CR.Mike's..C&H-Mozingo26.640.JPG

2-14-24.Elite.Mike's.Polo.640.JPG

6-23-23.Mozingo.24mm.BrandNew.640.JPG

Good question. All mine are ZT4.

Which DG batches are they most similar to?

From what I've read - I've never used a DG knot - DG knots are gelled.

Here is my Mozingo knot in one of my handles. Great fan shape, and the hair is natural, not treated in any way, does not dry hard and all the hairs are separate and do not clog together.
View attachment 1595737

Mozingo knots are the exact opposite of gelled as they're natural and untreated.

Probably my favorite Mozingo is the 24 mm "real" faux ivory Persian Jar Rudy made for me. In spite of being my smallest Mozingo knot, it is huge when splayed, exactly like I expected it to be when I ordered it.

4-18-24.Two.Shavemac. 22 mm.Both are D01, but...640.JPG

My 24 mm PJ/Mozingo inspired me to order two 22 mm Shavemac flattops both of which are also much larger (in use) than you might expect.

My ZT4 Mozingo knots are fabulous. Mine vary in density and size. The quality and the character of the four knots are incredibly consistent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Good question. All mine are ZT4.

From what I've read - I've never used a DG knot - DG knots are gelled.

Mozingo knots are the exact opposite of gelled as they're natural and untreated.

Probably my favorite Mozingo is the 24 mm "real" faux ivory Persian Jar Rudy made for me. In spite of being my smallest Mozingo knot, it is huge when splayed, exactly like I expected it to be when I ordered it.

View attachment 1833211

My 24 mm PJ/Mozingo inspired me to order two 22 mm Shavemac flattops both of which are also much larger (in use) than you might expect.

My ZT4 Mozingo knots are fabulous. Mine vary in density and size. The quality and the character of the four knots are incredibly consistent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don’t think it’s really accurate to say DG knots are all gelled. There’s a good amount of variation between the batches, and at least several are knots that I don’t think you would use and consider gelled.
I haven’t used any of the Mozingo hand tied knots to know how they compare to the various DG knots.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I don’t think it’s really accurate to say DG knots are all gelled. There’s a good amount of variation between the batches, and at least several are knots that I don’t think you would use and consider gelled.
I haven’t used any of the Mozingo hand tied knots to know how they compare to the various DG knots.
I have only two, a B14 which is quite gelled and a B16 which is not, but set at too high a loft.

Top Bottom