What's new

Moving up; Suggestions?

The M200 Cognac was a SE pen and was only available for a limited time. I got mine in late 2015 and they were getting harder to find new then. But you should be able to find in the secondary market.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ... piston fed demonstrator with excellent quality.

P1020501.JPG
Pelikan coffee cream.png
My only experience with them is with my own. So, unfortunately, I can't answer that with 100% honestly. I own a '49 Major, with a 14k nib. The reason I suggest it is I really liked mine, then I came onto The Nib and found out I wasn't the only one. Others can tell you what to avoid, though, I'd tell you to look for a Major without any hesitation. Great pen.

The Parker Vacumatic is also my favourite pen in terms of looks and performance, and if you wanted to me money minded it is one of the few pens that will almost certainly be worth more in 12 months time than today.

I understand that most US production was for fine nibbed pens, which may not suit everyone, mediums were more popular in Europe, Broad very rare anywhere. Some Canadian manufactured pens had some flexibility to the nib.

There is really only one working part and that is the diaphragm which pumps air out and sucks ink into the barrel, these last many years but is a replacement item best left to the professional and therefore when you are buying a Vac look to see if this work has been done.

a nice conversion if you want some variety in the nib is to replace the standard nib with one from a UK made Parker Duofold, this will provide for a better writing pen although some lost marks on originality of course.

What I look for in a Vac is an absence of cracks, especially around the cap lip and not too much surface wear, have a look at the tip of the nib for alignment and some tipping material.

The pen I would look for at your budget is a 1940s made pen with a recent service, check the size, some pens were very small and you would need to post the cap if your hands are large, you dont want to post the cap of course, that is how many cap cracks begin.

If you can buy a pen with the original case and a matching pencil you will be paying around the top of your budget, perhaps more but it will be worth your investment.

Here is one of my vacs with the pencil, the pen has the Duofold nib.

If you are still looking for a Pelikan, see if you can find a cafe creme, limited production but there must be some more out there. I have a new one that I must get around to inking one day but thats the trouble with having too many pens.

Last edited:
So I pulled the trigger today and purchased a 215 from the bay. It has a medium nib and comes with an additional fine (or extra fine, not sure). It is the black with the rings, as seen here -
proxy.php

Can't wait for it to come in! Now the usual question - what to ink it with first? I have a bottle of Mont Blanc dark purple that I like a lot, and Pilot Kon Peki, as well as Pelikan brown (not a huge fan) and Parker Blue/Black. I was thinking the purple or the Kon Peki.

trying hard to release pens as I try them. Have sold a few that didn't fit well for me, so hopefully I can keep the AD in check!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
So I pulled the trigger today and purchased a 215 from the bay. It has a medium nib and comes with an additional fine (or extra fine, not sure). It is the black with the rings, as seen here -
proxy.php

Can't wait for it to come in! Now the usual question - what to ink it with first? I have a bottle of Mont Blanc dark purple that I like a lot, and Pilot Kon Peki, as well as Pelikan brown (not a huge fan) and Parker Blue/Black. I was thinking the purple or the Kon Peki.

Sweet! Congrats! Kon-Peki is a great ink and a beautiful color. It always seems to be in well regards. Keep us posted!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
proxy.php

Good choice and a nice deal! The gold plated nib shown is from the M200, the M215 has a polished silvertone stainless finish to match the trim. You can always polish the gold off if you feel the need.

Well here it is; it came with the gold M nib, but I like a pretty fine line so I put the EF that I believe originally came with the pen back in. I inked it with Kon Peki for it's trial run at my desk.

So far I like the pen, it will be an adjustment since I am used to a larger body from the TWSBI Eco. Seems to hold a fair amount of ink, filling was a pleasure and not a mess at all. It writes good so far, I haven't done enough with it to really feel a difference, but the nib does seem a bit more sensitive to pressure than the nibs I have had in the past. Is there a bit more flex in these than most pens in the lower price point? Anyway, I know it didn't happen without pics, so here goes, one at the desk and one next to the Eco for size comparison -

Attachments

• 20170620_091731.jpg
    20170620_091731.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20170620_091742.jpg
    20170620_091742.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Top Bottom