What's new

Moving from the 34C, what next?

If you want something slightly more efficient and very smooth, the GC .84 will do the trick and if you want more efficiency, than pick either a Lupo .72 or .95.

The Progress is also a very nice razor and it's adjustability can help you find your perfect setting after a couple of shaves.

The Rockwell isn't a bad razor, but it's very mild for my taste and I wouldn't recommend it unless high efficiency isn't what you are looking for and you want something very mild and comfortable.

I haven't owned a AS-D2, but it is well regarded as one of the mildest modern DE on the market and because of that not many people like it.

First, thank you for your service.

There have been some great recommendations already but, I’m going to throw a different one out there.

Timeless Aluminum ALSB45. This razor is definitely more efficient than the 34C, has excellent craftsmanship, and is priced just right.

Good luck on whichever razor you choose. I’d be surprised if it’s your last one.

Lupo 72
Rockwell 6S/6C (R4/R5)
Merkur progress (S2/S3)

Coming from the 34C the ones above would be my recommendations

Merkur Progress:

. . . It's cheaper to twist the knob, than to buy another fixed-blade-gap razor.

The minimum setting (1) is very gentle, and there's a full turn of the knob _above 5_ before the blade starts to loosen.

First, thank you for your service.

There have been some great recommendations already but, I’m going to throw a different one out there.

Timeless Aluminum ALSB45. This razor is definitely more efficient than the 34C, has excellent craftsmanship, and is priced just right.

Good luck on whichever razor you choose. I’d be surprised if it’s your last one.

Thanks for your support!

I tend to have an obsession with certain hobbies and this is quickly turning into my next one haha! I really want a AS-D2 and 6S as the next couple. Was considering different open comb Merkurs but might skip those for pursuing other brands. So hard to choose!

Im excited to try the Feather AS-D2! Nex on the list will be a Rockwell 6S, Wolfman .95, and Timeless 0.68.

Wondering if we should setup a rental program on the forum. I’d love to try some of these out without having to invest so much, should they not work out. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image-2021-10-24-11:00:58-507.jpg
    image-2021-10-24-11:00:58-507.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 5
Wondering if we should setup a rental program on the forum. I’d love to try some of these out without having to invest so much, should they not work out. Thoughts?
I have thought the same thing too, but the liability for lost, damaged, or stolen razors is pretty big. As friendly and civil as we are on the forum, much of that is helped along behind the scenes by the site moderators. Under a rental or borrowing scenario, If someone decides to "keep" a $300 titanium razor or if it comes back horribly scratched, what recourse does the owner have? It is not impossible, but I think it would require B&B to use legal counsel to draw up contracts, and there would be the continuing burden of oversight and moderating disputes.

Keeping an eye on BST (Buy-Sell-Trade) is a good option for finding gently used equipment. Posting "for trade" can probably work too. There are occasionally pass-arounds where a member sends a personal razor around to anyone interested.

I have thought the same thing too, but the liability for lost, damaged, or stolen razors is pretty big. As friendly and civil as we are on the forum, much of that is helped along behind the scenes by the site moderators. Under a rental or borrowing scenario, If someone decides to "keep" a $300 titanium razor or if it comes back horribly scratched, what recourse does the owner have? It is not impossible, but I think it would require B&B to use legal counsel to draw up contracts, and there would be the continuing burden of oversight and moderating disputes.

Keeping an eye on BST (Buy-Sell-Trade) is a good option for finding gently used equipment. Posting "for trade" can probably work too. There are occasionally pass-arounds where a member sends a personal razor around to anyone interested.

I understand the liability concern. I’ve been a member of several car forums over the past 15 years or so. This is no different than specialty tool rentals those communities offer. The requirement would be to pay a refundable deposit for the cost of a new razor, in addition to the rental cost. Under those conditions the renter is covered.

Reactions: ewk
The requirement would be to pay a refundable deposit for the cost of a new razor, in addition to the rental cost. Under those conditions the renter is covered.
Sounds reasonable. I also just remembered, some vendors offer a 30 day money back return policy. I always thought it would be a great service for those vendors to offer those returns as "trial razors," or even "floor models" to allow buyers to experience the product before committing $X00.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I dont have any of the razors mentioned here apart from the Merkur Progress brilliant razor in my humble opinion. You can dial it in to your favourite setting or dial it down with each pass. I usually start off with it on setting 4 for WTG then down to 3 for XTG and 2 for ATG. Or if I'm feeling lazy I just leave on 3 as with all things YMMV good luck in which ever razor you chose there have been some really excellent suggestions here 😀

Can you help me understand how aggressive or mild it is as compared to a similar razor on maybe ones In” recently mentioned?

I have the 34c and the Rocca is more efficient while still being smooth and able to be used daily. Of the razors I have, the Rocca performs similarly to EJ 3one6, Blackbird, Yates 921-M, Windsor SSRH, Tatara Nodachi, Henson Ti22, and H&S P076. Not sure if you have any of these for comparison. The Rocca is a great performer....and looks cool to boot.

I have the 34c and the Rocca is more efficient while still being smooth and able to be used daily. Of the razors I have, the Rocca performs similarly to EJ 3one6, Blackbird, Yates 921-M, Windsor SSRH, Tatara Nodachi, Henson Ti22, and H&S P076. Not sure if you have any of these for comparison. The Rocca is a great performer....and looks cool to boot.

Appreciate the extra info. The 34c was my first DE razor and the Feather will be my second. I don’t have much to reference or compare against. The Blackbird is on my list as well but don’t know where it falls on the aggressive scale.

I’m in the military and need to shave daily so comfort and ability to get small stubble without irritation is of most importance.

The Blackbird is on my list as well but don’t know where it falls on the aggressive scale.
Shane at Blackland rates it a 7 out of 10, a shade less aggressive than the Muhle R41. Feels about right to me. The Rocca and Edwin Jagger 3one6 are similar, and about halfway between the 34C and R41. I have them both, and prefer the 3one6 over the Rocca, but that is personal preference. I can't get the Rocca to get the stubble along the jaw line no matter how I approach it.

Again, personal preference and YMMV etc., but the Yates 921 M is not the prettiest razor, but it is my absolute favorite razor. Great comfort, mildness, and efficiency. Once I tried it, other razors started getting sold from my collection.

Top Bottom