What's new

Moving from Mühle R41 to straight

I have been shaving for 5 years with my trusty R41 and, now that my 300 blades are running down, I'm thinking of switching allegiances to straights.
I get BBS from R41 almost always, with seldom any weepers or nicks (I shave daily, beard is about average).
Anyone care to comment on the closeness of the shave of R41 Vs shavette (Bluebeard's Revenge in my case, arriving today), assuming good technique for both weapons? If the shavette ultimately gets me a longer lasting and/or closer shave - once I get the technique down - I'll finally take the step to an actual straight.

Cannot comment on the Bluebeard’s Revenge shavette that you have selected, but after many (several years of almost daily) straight shaves, my straight shaves have become closer, smoother, and more comfortable than my shaves with safety razors, including the Mühle R41 variant that I use.

That took quite some time to get there, however, and while you can get reasonably proficient with a safety razor, including the R41, in a few weeks, it will take much longer with a straight razor and will be frustrating at times when the hoped for progress continues to elude you.

So in a nutshell, with an R41 you may get near straight razor results quickly, with a straight razor it will take considerably longer to reach the same level tu pull even and - eventually - pull ahead.

Good luck on your journey.

B.

As said above....pretty hard to compare out of the gate.
I think once mastered and you figure out the edge type, blade type, weight etc of a straight you like youll never go back as the shaves as superb. I beleive all to often people give up because they forget the learning curve they had with the DE or SE and assume that jumping to a straight is going to be perfect out of the box.

I would incourage you to give it a go....just give it time and enjoy the learning. Word of caution on shavettes, they are very unforgiving so if you want to make things just slightly easier get yourself a real straight from a member or a know reputable shop to learn on but thats just my opinion and YMMV.

As said above....pretty hard to compare out of the gate.
I think once mastered and you figure out the edge type, blade type, weight etc of a straight you like youll never go back as the shaves as superb. I beleive all to often people give up because they forget the learning curve they had with the DE or SE and assume that jumping to a straight is going to be perfect out of the box.

I would incourage you to give it a go....just give it time and enjoy the learning. Word of caution on shavettes, they are very unforgiving so if you want to make things just slightly easier get yourself a real straight from a member or a know reputable shop to learn on but thats just my opinion and YMMV.

Both comments appreciated. I'm patient and ready to go hybrid for as long as it takes (shavette for an increasing proportion of time, R41 to clean up....eventually fully to straight).
In fact I had my first foray this morning and loaded up with a 7-day old (used!) Lord blade from my R41 just so I wouldn't cause a bloodbath. Actually I did my entire face and the only trouble was the bluntness of the blade which caused severe tugging in places - as expected - and thus one very light under-chin weeper as a result. But it was good overall, and the cleanup with R41 has given me a BBS outcome. The experience was not enjoyable because of the above and, in particular, because I ended up adopting some weird grip configurations to get to the out-of-the-way areas. But of course this will easily sort itself out.
I especially appreciate the last comment above and I imagine I'll slide over to a real straight sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom