What's new

moving blade from one razor to another

I never use the same razor two days in a row, I usually don't even use the same system two days in a row. For example, Saturday I used a Gillette Atra, Sunday a GEM Micromatic and today a 1956 (birth year) Super Speed. Blades are placed in a folded hand towel to dry them then stored in a plastic container with a desiccant pack. Very quick and simple procedure.

I’m one of the fellows that Ron mentioned that moves injector blades from one razor to another. Been doing it for years and have only boogered up the edge a couple times when my attention wandered. I have a dispenser with used blades in it that I use to push out the good blade and it goes in the plastic container until it gets called on for service.

Late to this thread!
I put a new (different) blade in every razor in my rotation. That way they're ready for a shave at any given time. And then I keep track of the use on each one and replace the blade after 3 shaves. I've never swapped a used blade from one razor to another.

Generally, once I put a blade into a razor, it stays there until I throw it into the sharps bin, though I have moved a blade once or twice, after starting a shave and not getting the result I wanted.

After a shave, I loosen the razor head, rinse in hot water, shake off excess, retighten, and carefully wipe the top cap and handle. I only clean the razor when changing the blade, and that is usually a thorough wipe-down of the disassembled parts.

I have never cleaned or dried a blade between shaves.

Kind of a goofy little problem, but here it is. I want to shave with my EJ one day, my Gillette Tech, the next, my Gillette adjustable the next and so on and so forth. I kind of like moving my blade from one razor to another every day. I feel like I should probably get 3-4 shaves from one blade before I get a new blade. Other than the minor inconvenience, is there a down side to doing this? I read something about altering the tension being bad at some point in the past, but I'm not sure I'm buying it. Any thoughts on this? I'm sure I'm not the only one here to change razors from day to day.
I have been doing that moving around for years, no problems. Maybe a slant that really torques a blade....that one might stay for that razor for a while....or use it 3 days and gone.

If I cahnge razor, I do it on a weekly basis
And I change blades weekly, and at the same time I clean razor with tooth brush and tooth paste

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've never swapped blades from one razor to another.
To each their own, and if you enjoy that, fine. I don't.
I use the same blade in the same razor till it's time to change it. I may have a couple of razors with blades in them on standby so I can vary the routine as suits my mood.
I use the blade till it starts to get a little tuggy, then toss the blade.
Razor gets a quick cleaning before it goes in the cabinet or before it gets a new blade.
I get about a weeks worth of use out of an average DE blade.

I never leave a blade in a razor. I always disassemble, clean and dry after every shave. I have glued a couple of magnets to the back of the medicine cabinet and place used blades on them.

I bought a box of circular rubber magnetic disks that already have an adhesive on the back. Amazon has them. A box 60 is around $6.

I stuck a bunch of them running down the left side of my bathroom mirror.

After blotting the blade dry with a paper towel, I sit it on a small plastic box, to let any small remaing amount of moisture that might be left, evaporate.

Later, I will put a small dot on it with a Sharpie and stick it one one of the magnetic dots. As I go down the column of dots, the blades have more shaves on them.

Sometimes I will be using the same razor the next day with a different blade. Other times I will use the same blade in a different razor. I turn the blade over after each shave. There are dots on both sides.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Late to this thread!
I put a new (different) blade in every razor in my rotation. That way they're ready for a shave at any given time. And then I keep track of the use on each one and replace the blade after 3 shaves. I've never swapped a used blade from one razor to another.
I don’t change blades from razor to razor. I get about a week out of a blade.
I also load 2 razors in my rotation the problem there is I frequently forget what blade is in there when analyzing a shave.

No downside at all...I do it all the time. Also helps me understand which razors do best with new blades and which ones are good for new and experienced blades.

I don’t change blades from razor to razor. I get about a week out of a blade.

OK, a blade used in a specific razor for a week.

I also load 2 razors in my rotation the problem there is I frequently forget what blade is in there when analyzing a shave.

It then appears that you have razor "A" and razor "B". Couldn't you then note how your shaves are going in each razor and then "discover" which blade was in what razor, when you remove the blade?

I placed more magnets on the mirror. I figured, I had them, so why not? There are 17 of them now.

This way, I can have many blades out. Currently not in any specific rotation. But shaves are indicated on each blade with a dot.

While I can deliberately load in a specific blade, I don't generally do it this way. Currently, I am comparing blades against each other for up to 8-days.

Yesterday I shaved with a $13.50 Wilkinson TTO and the shave was still close this morning. I had used a Feather blade, but one with four prior shaves on it.

Today, I deliberately shaved with a 34c and a Nacet. I took time to go I very the area a few times cleaning up to see how close the 34c would shave with a sharp blade. I feels close now but what about later today? This was shave #8, the final shave with the Nacet, still sharp!

Normally, I waite until after the 1st shave. Then after the second shave I will pick a blade that has 5/6/7 dots (shaves) on it and see how the older blade is, in comparison to the new blade. It is after the shave that I look to see which blade I had been shaving with.

Starting in January, I will be shaving with one blade for an entire week before changing out the blade. I may use it in different razors, but my main reference razor will remain the R41 head. This will cover the following 6-months.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
OK, a blade used in a specific razor for a week.

It then appears that you have razor "A" and razor "B". Couldn't you then note how your shaves are going in each razor and then "discover" which blade was in what razor, when you remove the blade?

I placed more magnets on the mirror. I figured, I had them, so why not? There are 17 of them now.

This way, I can have many blades out. Currently not in any specific rotation. But shaves are indicated on each blade with a dot.

While I can deliberately load in a specific blade, I don't generally do it this way. Currently, I am comparing blades against each other for up to 8-days.

Yesterday I shaved with a $13.50 Wilkinson TTO and the shave was still close this morning. I had used a Feather blade, but one with four prior shaves on it.

Today, I deliberately shaved with a 34c and a Nacet. I took time to go I very the area a few times cleaning up to see how close the 34c would shave with a sharp blade. I feels close now but what about later today? This was shave #8, the final shave with the Nacet, still sharp!

Normally, I waite until after the 1st shave. Then after the second shave I will pick a blade that has 5/6/7 dots (shaves) on it and see how the older blade is, in comparison to the new blade. It is after the shave that I look to see which blade I had been shaving with.

Starting in January, I will be shaving with one blade for an entire week before changing out the blade. I may use it in different razors, but my main reference razor will remain the R41 head. This will cover the following 6-months.
Good idea
Part of the after the fact review is many blades don’t have mfg identification on the blade.

Good idea
Part of the after the fact review is many blades don’t have mfg identification on the blade.

I'm not aware of any blades I have that don't have identification on the blade itself. It might be laser etched and only on one side but they are all labeled.

I would think for those minority of blades that might not have a label, you could label them yourself with a Sharpie. You might also have an outside wrapper that you could keep handy. How often would it be that both of the blades in use would be without a label?

I don’t go out of my way to effect blind testing. As it happens, the only time I am paying any particular attention to them is with a new blade.

Even then, The other day I was shaving with one of the razors I had loaded a day before. The shave was a bit rough, with some tugging. I was assuming that it was a blade with several days of use on it.

When I looked at the blade, it was a brand new Dorco Prime Platinum. I assumed the rough shave was attributed to the coating. It was. Subsequent shaves were smooth and normal.

I find that it's really kind of interesting to have this controlled randomness.

My findings thus far are that once a blade gets past its initial shave, they are mostly indistinguishable from one another in any particular razor.

If I change them to another razor, then the blades take on the overall characteristics of that razor. They all behave the same in that razor.

That goes until I have reached day #8 or the blade has failed early.

I am aware of that.

Here is what I said:

I'm not aware of any blades I have that don't have identification on the blade itself.

I don’t own any Kai blades.

But armed with the inderstanding that a Kai razor blade might find its way into one of the two razors being used, I further commented:

How often would it be that both of the blades in use would be without a label?

In this event, one would be a Kai and the other would have a name on it.

If they were both blank, then it wouldn't be a far stretch to mark the razor with a Sharpie, in order to differentiate between the two blades.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I use one blade at a time, but I have 11 razors that I use...some more than others. As long as it's still good, I just take the blade out and put it in the razor I want to use.

I am aware of that.

Here is what I said:

I don’t own any Kai blades.

But armed with the inderstanding that a Kai razor blade might find its way into one of the two razors being used, I further commented:

In this event, one would be a Kai and the other would have a name on it.

If they were both blank, then it wouldn't be a far stretch to mark the razor with a Sharpie, in order to differentiate between the two blades.
right, sorry I missed that.
It wouldn't be an issue for me neither...

Top Bottom