What's new

moving blade from one razor to another

Kind of a goofy little problem, but here it is. I want to shave with my EJ one day, my Gillette Tech, the next, my Gillette adjustable the next and so on and so forth. I kind of like moving my blade from one razor to another every day. I feel like I should probably get 3-4 shaves from one blade before I get a new blade. Other than the minor inconvenience, is there a down side to doing this? I read something about altering the tension being bad at some point in the past, but I'm not sure I'm buying it. Any thoughts on this? I'm sure I'm not the only one here to change razors from day to day.

Very often when I'm not totally happy with a blade in the specific razor, I let it dry, put it back in the sleeve and use a sharpie to mark the shave number on the sleeve. Then onto the next blade :) There are usually 4-5 different used blades in the drawer that I reuse after some time and they're always still fully functional.

Kind of a goofy little problem, but here it is. I want to shave with my EJ one day, my Gillette Tech, the next, my Gillette adjustable the next and so on and so forth. I kind of like moving my blade from one razor to another every day. I feel like I should probably get 3-4 shaves from one blade before I get a new blade. Other than the minor inconvenience, is there a down side to doing this? I read something about altering the tension being bad at some point in the past, but I'm not sure I'm buying it. Any thoughts on this? I'm sure I'm not the only one here to change razors from day to day.
Switching blades around is worth a try, but placing a blade used once or more times probably does not give you the best estimation on what a particular razor can do.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
No problem changing that blade to another razor, have been doing it for over the last 5 years and I'm not going to change now either. (cuts down on a lot of blades out at once waiting for use.)
I like to tap dry the blade on a dry part of the towel and place between 2 modified business card magnets until it is needed.
The only razors that I leave the blade in are my Schick injectors and some fellows even change them out also with a blank I found out recently and it is not a big deal if a person is willing to learn how.
I use this little metal business card holder I found on Aliexpress and my blades are protected by sandwiched modified magnetic business cards. Works slick with no issues other than care when handling sharp blades.
Blade storage 1.jpg
Blade storage 2 (2).jpg
Blade storage 3 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I always remove the blade, rinse it and the razor and allow everything to dry after each shave. I often will use a different razor each shave but frequently will get up to 10 shaves from each blade. I enjoy seeing how a blade performs in different razors. I also usually have several different blades going at the same time. I have been doing this for over 10 years and it seems to work well for me.

I shave every day and Saturday is blade change day (7 shaves with each blade). This is when I detail clean the razor

After each shave I shake/flick the water off the razor and dry it, being careful not to cut the towel with the blade.

I use the same razor all the time.

Last edited:
I use the same blade for 4 shaves and use it with a few different razors. I just rinse everything really well, pat dry with a towel, then leave it on a dry wash cloth to air dry for the day. Never had an issue.

I always rinse the blade after each use and let it dry. 90% use a different razor next day......no problems . Sometimes use 2-3 different blades, some feel better in a specific razor....time will tell you which pair better for you

Just for the sake of argument, I leave my blade in the razor. :eek2:

If I rotate through several razors, which I do from time to time, each has its own blade and it stays there until I replace it. After the shave, I thoroughly rinse the razor and let it dry in its stand, but I don’t open it.

Any safety razor in a drawer is without blade, except the one(s) in a travel kit.
No need to risk damaging the edge (or cutting my skin🩸 on the short, overhanging end of a blade) by needlessly removing and reinserting a blade that cost anything between 12 and 25 cents a piece.
Even after retirement, I still can afford to have three blades in three different razors at any one time. :001_cool:

As far as the various procedures go that people apply to their blades after a shave, I sometimes wonder whether it does more harm than good. :confused1
For example, engineers have a rule of thumb that the corrosion rate of a metal doubles for every 10°C increase in temperature. So would I really want to use a hairdryer??

To each his own, but I have used blades in safety razor(s) that had not been used because of long periods of straight shaving, or that had spent months in my travel kit, and I found no deterioration whatsoever.

If anyone has irrefutable proof (no hearsay) that such procedures are truly beneficial, I’d like to know about it, but until then that’s what I‘ll do. One of the benefits of a forum is that members discuss different ways of doing things and I am always ready to add some new knowledge to my ageing mind. :smartass:

B.

Last edited:
Just for the sake of argument, I leave my blade in the razor. :eek2:

If I rotate through several razors, which I do from time to time, each has its own blade and it stays there until I replace it. After the shave, I thoroughly rinse the razor and let it dry in its stand, but I don’t open it.

Any safety razor in a drawer is without blade, except the one(s) in a travel kit.
No need to risk damaging the edge (or cutting my skin🩸 on the short, overhanging end of a blade) by needlessly removing and reinserting a blade that cost anything between 12 and 25 cents a piece.
Even after retirement, I still can afford to have three blades in three different razors at any one time. :001_cool:

As far as the various procedures go that people apply to their blades after a shave, I sometimes wonder whether it does more harm than good. :confused1
For example, engineers have a rule of thumb that the corrosion rate of a metal doubles for every 10°C increase in temperature. So would I really want to use a hairdryer??

To each his own, but I have used blades in safety razor(s) that had not been used because of long periods of straight shaving, or that had spent months in my travel kit, and I found no deterioration whatsoever.

If anyone has irrefutable proof (no hearsay) that such procedures are truly beneficial, I’d like to know about it, but until then that’s what I‘ll do. One of the benefits of a forum is that members discuss different ways of doing things and I am always ready to add some new knowledge to my ageing mind. :smartass:

B.
Brutus, I gotta say, I really like your approach and your input. I'm all for keeping it easy, and I believe a lot of us have a tendency to overthink these things. Thank you.

Top Bottom