What's new

Movies, anybody not a fan.

I don't recall the last movie I saw in a theater. I think it was either E.T. or one of the first Star Wars films.

I can count the number of times that I've gone in the last probably 30 years on one hand. Multiple reasons:
1. The lack of manners exhibited by the animals in the audience - talking, feet on seats, food on floor, etc.
2. Same as #1
3. Same as #1
4. Lack of interest - no desire to rush out to see some overdone *** so that I discuss it with everyone in earshot. The beauty of pay per view is that if you are really interested, you can watch these things pretty quickly at home, in comfort and quiet.

My wife and I probably go to a theater every 5 years. FIOS gave me almost every movie channel they offer to get me to renew last year and I can't remember the last time we actually found one worth watching.

I rarely go. Sometimes The Wife or I will find a movie we want to see in the theater, maybe a few times a year, and we'll go. We saw Deadpool when it came out. We both enjoy the Avengers and related movies so we have caught a few of those in theater; we plan on seeing Civil War when it comes out. That'll probably be it for the year.

We usually get them "on demand" from home when they become available. The cost on demand is normally around $6.00 for two days, which isn't even half the cost of one normal ticket at the theater for one showing. The huge plus is not being around the people. I can't stand being around large, unorganized groups. Add in the inconsiderate types, and I usually get pretty antsy and can't enjoy the movie as much. The crowd is our main reason for not going, and if we do go, it's a few weeks after the movie opens and we go to the earliest showing possible on a Sunday so it's not as busy and there are less teenagers making fools out of themselves.

It's unfortunate though. We used to go to the movies a lot when I was a kid, and I really enjoy seeing a movie in the theater. With the rising cost and the inconsiderate crowds, I don't like it as much anymore.

I gave up going to the Cinema 12 years ago
With films on TV every week, a VCR, video tapes, a DVD player + DVDs there didn't seem to be much point
Since moving to Spain 10 years ago, there seems to be even less point- if I want to watch a film that isn't on TV, I've got my own private cinema on my computer - and better than any other cinema - it's FREE !!

I very rarely to go to the movie theater (maybe once or twice in the last ten years). I much prefer my dedicated home theater. It's got much better sound and acoustics and is much more comfortable. I do find myself watching old movies (mostly 30's - 60's), but there's some good new content out there as well.

i go to give my kids the theater experience. tends to be later in the movie run so not bad as far as issues with others, but weve got huge TVs with awesome sound and dad's homemade fresh popcorn so they are usually OK with the home experience and using the $60-70 we saved for straight razors:)

If I go to the theater I try to go to a small, locally-owned one near my house. They serve food (and beer!) and it's usually people from the neighborhood in attendance. It makes it a good experience. The theater usually shows one "mainstream" movie and one "independent" movie (they only have two screens). I saw "The Force Awakens" at this theater and the owner came out before the show to thank everyone for coming.

I rarely go to a Regal or AMC theater. Too expensive, too crowded. I did take my boys to see "Zootopia" at a Regal theater during spring break (it was excellent!).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I go to the movies 2 to 3 times a year. Mostly on a week day at noon after the movie has been released for a least 2 weeks. I get the pick of seats and there is no kid (they're at school) popping the seat behind me with his feet.

The current movie theatre experience is lost on me. Like others have posted, the environment is hardly conducive to an enjoyable event. Throw-in my contempt for most Hollywood movies (give me a Criterion DVD any day of the week) and I have no valid reason to attend a showing.

Also, it must be stated that the quality of television shows produced can rival the big screen these days. It is almost as if the medium of TV has become the landing spot for entertainment professionals with the desire to tell stories outside the realm of superhero movies or the latest blockbuster. I, for one, am grateful.

If I go to the theater I try to go to a small, locally-owned one near my house. They serve food (and beer!) and it's usually people from the neighborhood in attendance. It makes it a good experience. The theater usually shows one "mainstream" movie and one "independent" movie (they only have two screens). I saw "The Force Awakens" at this theater and the owner came out before the show to thank everyone for coming.

I rarely go to a Regal or AMC theater. Too expensive, too crowded. I did take my boys to see "Zootopia" at a Regal theater during spring break (it was excellent!).

Indie theaters are great. I miss the one I used to go to in Columbia Missouri.

In the '80s I went about 3 times a week to the movies. In the '90s I went maybe three times a month. Now I go maybe 8 times a year. My decline in movie theater attendance is getting lower due to the shift in how I watch movies. From theater to video in the '90s, later to DVD, and for the past ten years to online. So I still watch as many movies as ever, I just don't watch most of them in the theater any longer.

I on the contrary go to the movies a lot. I have a lot of friends that go as well. There's just certain films that in my opinion you will not get the same experience at home vs. in the theater. For example Avatar was an awesome film if you watched it in the theater in 3D while at home the sound is not as good and quality and no 3D is available.

I have lots of other friends and coworkers that hate theaters and watch a lot of bootleg films on DVD but the quality is usually bad. They don't really care about quality or sound. Here in Los Angeles there is a lot of Piracy of films they usually cost $5 so its way cheaper than a movie ticket. The thing that I do to offset the high prices is I get discounted tickets from like Costco or Sams club. They usually sell them for $9 a ticket or go in the morning. There's some theaters that offer discount days as well. In Los Angeles the regular evening price to see a film is like $13 and up depending on the theater company.

Last edited:
I think it's important to see movies in the theater. It's a communal experience. Comedies are funnier, horror films are scarier. The drawback is that so many people have lost the knowledge of how to behave in social groups. People show up after the film starts and feel that MST3K is the norm in viewing. Also many viewers aren't sophisticated enough to understand a complex or thoughtful film. There's a great essay on Roger Ebert site regarding this issue.

Great input and I would love to read Ebert's essay.

Top Bottom