What's new

Movies, anybody not a fan.

Well after wasting my time and money on seeing Batman vs. Superman it made me wonder.
Have any of you folks stop going to the movies or rarely go?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The last movie that I saw in a theater was Sin City (2005). What's even more crazy is that I was 19 then, so I never saw a movie in a theater throughout the entirety of my 20's. :blink: I didn't think about that until just now.

I haven't been to an indoor movie in 20+ years, a couple drive ins, but even that is extremely rare. Cost, inconsiderate people, and my lack of hearing conspire to make it a bad experience. Don't watch many on TV either, I get bored and wander away.

David, I have mixed feelings about the cinema these days. First up, the costs are becoming very prohibitive versus the entertainment value they provide. Add in the costs at the concession stand and well, yeah, you kind of feel let down.

Every generation feels the media that came out during their lifetime or just before is vastly superior to 'new' material. However, I have noticed a real trend in a generally negative way, even among the youth, that much of what we see and hear for entertainment is...crap.

While there always good movies that should be seen on the big screen to really be appreciated, most of the newer action/adventure/police/science fiction genres are A; Over the top explosions no human being could ever hope to survive, and B; dumb, dumb, and dumber dialogue with more and more of the conspiracy theory and overt political correctness creeping in. It is tiring to say the least.

Want a great sci-fi thriller with great atmosphere, chilling effects, and great character interplay? Try 1979's Alien. Want a great action story with sweeping cinema, love and intrigue in the back story along with superb characterisations? Try 95's Braveheart. I won't even get started on the romantic comedy garbage. If you want to see a really good comedy drama/love story try Harrison Ford, Greg Kinnear, and Julia Ormand in the remake of Sabrina.

I won't get started on the 'music' that is put out today. Sorry for the 'get off my lawn' vibe of the reply but I definitely have the same less than satisfied feeling you mentioned.

I haven't been to an indoor movie in 20+ years, a couple drive ins, but even that is extremely rare. Cost, inconsiderate people, and my lack of hearing conspire to make it a bad experience. Don't watch many on TV either, I get bored and wander away.

I noticed I'm getting bored with movies from the art house films to action movies.

I think it's important to see movies in the theater. It's a communal experience. Comedies are funnier, horror films are scarier. The drawback is that so many people have lost the knowledge of how to behave in social groups. People show up after the film starts and feel that MST3K is the norm in viewing. Also many viewers aren't sophisticated enough to understand a complex or thoughtful film. There's a great essay on Roger Ebert site regarding this issue.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
When the price of an IMAX ticket surpassed the price of a new 4K UHD 55" TV, I stopped going.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I saw American Sniper in the Theater before that I have no idea. My thoughts about the movies are the same as sporting events. I would rather sit in my own house, drink my own beer, and use my own bathroom. At least then I can choose who I sit with, and am annoyed by instead of leaving it up to chance. :001_smile

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Number one place people bring bed bugs back to their homes, is from Hotels/Motels. Number 2?

Movie theaters.

I can sit through the docs i bring home no matter how dull, no problem, usually music related. In the last 4.5 years i've managed two entire fiction movies but was getting super antsy long before they were finished. There was a day i was seeing better then two movies per week in the local rep theater which never showed mainstream Hollywood fare. They unfortunately were squeezed out years ago by the big players.

dave

I went to a Thursday night showing of Dawn of Justice in Imax. I liked it so much I saw it again s couple of weeks later. Before that I saw Deadpool a week or so before it left theatres. I will probably do the same for Civil War & Suicide Squad.

I don't go very often, maybe once a year. Modern movies are so long and boring.If you can't tell me a story in an hour and a half, you're not a very good story teller I'm tired of super heroes and middle earth and re-boots and CGI.

I saw the latest Star Wars at the theater. My wife volunteered at a local theater and she got some free tickets out of the deal so we went and saw a movie. I'll take my son to see the Avengers Civil War, but that will probably be it for the year. There have been times the I probably haven't set foot in a movie theater for 4 years or more.

Top Bottom