What's new

Movie: The Irishman ;-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
So, you want to be a 'wise-guy', huh? Fuggedaboutit.
proxy.php

BTW, this new movie by Scorsese is a Mob epic (wow...3hrs, 30min), but stars Academy Award Winners Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci w/ appearances by Harvey Keitel, Ray Romano and other veterans of the screen will be playing at a movie theater near you this November 1, 2019 (can't wait for it to start showing in my locale). :thumbsup:

By Owen Gleiberman - Varity - 27 Sept 19

Martin Scorsese’s “The Irishman” is a coldly enthralling, long-form knockout — a majestic Mob epic with ice in its veins. It’s the film that, I think, a lot us wanted to see from Scorsese: a stately, ominous, suck-in-your-breath summing up, not just a drama but a reckoning, a vision of the criminal underworld that’s rippling with echoes of the director’s previous Mob films, but that also takes us someplace bold and new.

Scorsese, working from a script by Steven Zaillian (who adapted the 2004 memoir “I Heard You Paint Houses”), tells the true story of Frank Sheeran (Robert De Niro), a World War II veteran and unassuming truck driver who, in the 1950s, finds himself drawn into the orbit of Russell Bufalino (Joe Pesci), the elegant and sinister boss of the Pennsylvania-based Bufalino crime family.

1569728407324.png

Russell Bufalino (Joe Pesci) [L] & Frank Sheeran (Robert De Niro) [R] in "The Irishman"

Gangster Smiley.jpg
Sheeran, who became a trusted Mob soldier and hitman, had many assignments, and one of them was to go to work for Jimmy Hoffa (played, in the film’s most extraordinary performance, by Al Pacino), whose Teamsters Union was mired in underworld connections. For years, Sheeran served as Hoffa’s right-hand thug, and then, according to Sheeran, he was the one given the order to whack Hoffa (though the labor leader’s sudden disappearance in 1975 has never been officially solved).

Scorsese turns this saga into a vast American canvas of greed, violence, ambition, politics, and corruption. The backroom string-pulling, the casual executions, the murderous muscle flexed with a terse euphemism (“I’m a little bit concerned…”) — we’ve seen much of this before. But Scorsese’s 1990 landmark “GoodFellas” was a Mob diary staged to feel like a party; without falsifying what it showed us (if anything, the film made it look more genuine than it had ever looked in the movies before), “GoodFellas” asked us to revel in the thrilling amorality of easy money, fast pleasure, and quicker brutality, even as we confronted the sometimes horrific consequences". [...]

Read More: The Irishman - a Review

proxy.php
"A film is never really good unless the camera is an eye in the head of a poet". Orson Welles

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm looking forward to this one a lot. I bet the DVD is out by March . . .Nobody talk to me until then :crying:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
You won't have to wait for the dvd, it will be on Netflix in November.
MrLara:
plus-one-png.797576
...,but too bad I don't have Netflix, but we have a "Cinemark Movie Bisrto" in Lake Charles (the Menu is very simple and straight forward [short-order w/ libations]...clever to not include prices. :001_rolle

I can 'kick-back', relax, eat, drink, be happy & watch a flick.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"The Bistro Cinema...for that unique In-theater dining experience". CBJ

PS After previewing this Menu...I would 'go' with the Caesar Salad (extra dressing 'on the side'), Bistro Cheeseburger (extra red onions), w/ Rosemary French Fries, White Cheddar / Bacon Mac & Cheese besides a glass or two of Modello (if they have it)! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I won't be watching. I'm one of those boycotting any Hollywood actor that tells me who I should vote for and pillories anyone with a different choice or viewpoint.

I won't be watching. I'm one of those boycotting any Hollywood actor that tells me who I should vote for and pillories anyone with a different choice or viewpoint.
i understand what you're saying... But if i were to do the same, there wouldn't be many films/tv shows i could watch.

It's difficult to put it aside, but i have to.

I've always been able to compartmentalize an actor's personal from professional life. That's why I can still enjoy movies with Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson and Kevin Spacey!

i understand what you're saying... But if i were to do the same, there wouldn't be many films/tv shows i could watch.

It's difficult to put it aside, but i have to.

Personal lives I can separate as long as they keep it to themselves and not impose it on others.

I'm very anxious and excited to see this movie. This very well could become one of the movies that goes on my list of moves that you never get tired of watching.

Top Bottom