What's new

Movado wrist-watch's....your thoughts.

You're paying dearly for the name because the quality ain't there. I remember a friend who had one a few years ago and while he was putting it on it slipped and fell on a hard floor. Most watches you would have a ding or a scratched xtl and maybe a service call but his watch literally came apart. The back opened and mvmt fell out and xtl rolled away. Very funny to watch. For the price there are better choices, much better and there are knockoffs out there.

Movado made some very fine automatic watches years ago. They are known for their designs and clean faces. Back in the 80's they switched to mainly quartz watches. If you like the look, buy the watch.

+1

I've been wearing the same Movado for over 15 years; it's quartz and keeps perfect time. I've replaced several batteries and the crystal once; the finish does show even wear. It's a dress watch and definitely not as durable as my Luminox. No watch looks less digital than a Movado! I agree with OldSaw that you should shop around and not buy a Movado lookalike unless you can't take good care of watches. If you buy a watch you like you may keep it a lifetime. My dad's quartz Timex is at least 30 years old and works fine.

If you are buying a stainless steel watch, there won't be any finish to "wear off", though it will likely show some wear.

There's several reason why to buy a Movado Museum style, it goes very well with your BMW, with that nice suit you're wearing. Every one notices you at the club, you're pretty soon tagged as a man with good taste, etc, etc.

A different story if you're wearing a Citizen

For the price there are better choices, much better

What would a good brand be to look for? ($1000 or less, less is aways good)

+1

I've been wearing the same Movado for over 15 years; it's quartz and keeps perfect time. I've replaced several batteries and the crystal once; the finish does show even wear. It's a dress watch and definitely not as durable as my Luminox. No watch looks less digital than a Movado! I agree with OldSaw that you should shop around and not buy a Movado lookalike unless you can't take good care of watches. If you buy a watch you like you may keep it a lifetime. My dad's quartz Timex is at least 30 years old and works fine.

How do I know if I'm getting a lookalike?

If you are buying a stainless steel watch, there won't be any finish to "wear off", though it will likely show some wear.

I like the gold Movado which has a finish, the sale man and woman say that the Movado has a very thick finish, so you can buff it a lot.

There's several reason why to buy a Movado Museum style, it goes very well with your BMW, with that nice suit you're wearing. Every one notices you at the club, you're pretty soon tagged as a man with good taste, etc, etc.

A different story if you're wearing a Citizen

I see you have been on my car thread.

They do go well together!

View attachment 137107
attachment.php

I'd like to think that the car would be seen a long time before my watch.

I've always liked Movado's, and I can't put my finger on why - but I can never see myself wearing one... same story with Rado (which I REALLY like, but can never picture myself wearing).

One thing you might want to consider is a used watch. You get a lot more value - and frankly, it's one of those things buying "used" isn't really a bad thing, as within a few weeks you're liable to put the same number of scratches/dings on a new watch as you'd get with a lightly used watch. I spent several thousand dollars on a top of the line Omega Seamaster, and was crushed when a week after purchase I scratched the bezel... I owned it for years, and it never got another scratch on it, but from then on I vowed to never buy another new watch, unless it was inexpensive (sub $500).

If you like Movado's, i'd suggest taking a look at a pre-owned Raymond Weil Parsifal. They're remarkably thin (about the same thickness of the band) beautifully made, incredibly comfortable, quite unique (you see far fewer RW's than Movados) and have a timeless/elegant look that can be worn with a suit, just as easily as jeans and a t-shirt.

I've got a lot of nice watches (Omega's, Stowa, JLC, etc), but none are nearly as comfortable, or as good a value as the RW Parsifal I own. You can find them on ebay for around $400 or so day and night, yet they retailed at Nordstoms and other high-end store for around $2K when new.

What would you wear?

For around $1000, I'd maybe get a Baume & Mercier... or maybe a Tag.

proxy.php
proxy.php

No offense, but I think a Movado has a style that your average joe thinks is "real nice" that doesn't know any better. I can see Zack Morris wearing one with his prom tux...

For around $1000, I'd maybe get a Baume & Mercier... or maybe a Tag.

proxy.php
proxy.php

No offense, but I think a Movado has a style that your average joe thinks is "real nice" that doesn't know any better. I can see Zack Morris wearing one with his prom tux...

This is the kind of info i'm looking for. Anybody can buy a Rolex and unknowing people will think "That guy has taste" when all it really is is "that guy has money" lol. I'm looking for those watches that make you a watch connoisseur much like the guy that buys old classic cars.

This is the kind of info i'm looking for. Anybody can buy a Rolex and unknowing people will think "That guy has taste" when all it really is is "that guy has money" lol. I'm looking for those watches that make you a watch connoisseur much like the guy that buys old classic cars.

Then you're looking for more enthusiast brands, like Stowa.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I've always liked Movado's, and I can't put my finger on why - but I can never see myself wearing one... same story with Rado (which I REALLY like, but can never picture myself wearing).

One thing you might want to consider is a used watch. You get a lot more value - and frankly, it's one of those things buying "used" isn't really a bad thing, as within a few weeks you're liable to put the same number of scratches/dings on a new watch as you'd get with a lightly used watch. I spent several thousand dollars on a top of the line Omega Seamaster, and was crushed when a week after purchase I scratched the bezel... I owned it for years, and it never got another scratch on it, but from then on I vowed to never buy another new watch, unless it was inexpensive (sub $500).

If you like Movado's, i'd suggest taking a look at a pre-owned Raymond Weil Parsifal. They're remarkably thin (about the same thickness of the band) beautifully made, incredibly comfortable, quite unique (you see far fewer RW's than Movados) and have a timeless/elegant look that can be worn with a suit, just as easily as jeans and a t-shirt.

I've got a lot of nice watches (Omega's, Stowa, JLC, etc), but none are nearly as comfortable, or as good a value as the RW Parsifal I own. You can find them on ebay for around $400 or so day and night, yet they retailed at Nordstoms and other high-end store for around $2K when new.

Now there's a warehouse full of common sense right there.

No, it means that guy bought into the hype.

There are so many brands out there for under 1K it ain't funny. If you like rado it means you want a dress watch. Honestly I would check out some of the higher end Seiko's. No people won't look at it and say "ooh look at that, that guys the one" but why are you buying it for yourself or others to view?

No, it means that guy bought into the hype.

There are so many brands out there for under 1K it ain't funny. If you like rado it means you want a dress watch. Honestly I would check out some of the higher end Seiko's. No people won't look at it and say "ooh look at that, that guys the one" but why are you buying it for yourself or others to view?

Everybody's different, I guess. I would buy a Rolex if I had that kind of money to spend on a watch. I love the Submariner. But right now i'll have to buy more modest priced watches.

Everybody's different, I guess. I would buy a Rolex if I had that kind of money to spend on a watch. I love the Submariner. But right now i'll have to buy more modest priced watches.

I collected Rolex watches. They are well made watches. I was not swayed by hype. I was not trying to impress anyone well maybe women. :laugh:

I told myself I'd buy a Rolex when I turned 40... Got 10 years to go. I think someone at my age would be perceived as trying too hard if I wore a Rolex. Just a little too cliche being a "nice" watch.

Not bad watches at all as a good deal of them are COSC certified. The main thing I don't like about Rollie is that make 700,000-1,000,000 pieces per year (IIRC). Not to mention the ton of fakes that are made each year.

Top Bottom