What's new

Moustache Wax Recommendations

OK, this is as bad as trying to pick out the first few shave soaps/creams... too many choices!

Just like with shave soaps and creams, it's not a bad idea to try a few out.

I received my Lockhart's moustache wax. The scent is a little on the heavy side, but it's holding my curls well.

Since it was easy to obtain locally, and cheap (under $3, it was on sale), I picked up a tube of the Clubman neutral. Not planning on going with a handlebar up curl, the growth just wants to droop, so I'll keep letting it. I'm mostly going with the wax for control and keeping it more in line, instead of my old method of lots of trimming stray hairs all the time.

So far so good, I guess? It works for what I was looking for, kind of. I think I either need a bit more hold, or apply a bit more to really get those hairs under control.

I haven't been waxing long (about 3 months), but I've tried the following:
- Firehouse Dark - Very workable, not really hard at all, decent hold, but not fantastic as my 'stache grows longer, tobacco like scent, but not overpowering
- I ordered a sampler pack of Men's Face Stuff and, while I can handle the Gin & Tonic and unscented, the other scents are way too strong for me and nothing I want to smell all day. I haven't found the hold to be very good, especially as the day goes on. Also, it clumps up and takes a while to comb through without leaving flakes in the hair.
- Petal Pusher's Dandy Candy Moustache Trainer - I like the scent, it's pleasant and not overpowering. It's the hardest of the waxes I've tried coming out of the tin, but is easily workable and melts with little effort. I find the hold better than Firehouse Dark, but it still doesn't seem to last all day, but it could be that my moustache needs to grow a little more before any wax will, within reason.

When I get back from my two week vacation, I'll explore more about getting a few other kinds to try.

If you want to try Firehouse Wacky Tacky, pm me your address and I'll get a tin out to you. I purchased 4 a few months ago and the consistency felt off to me. I called them and voiced my concern, and they sent me 4 new tins. I've been using different products besides theirs, so I'd be more than happy to help someone out!

Last edited:
So to revive this thread a bit...

I maintain lines for my facial hair, but no goatee or mustache. I have an issue where the lines on my sideburns areas fall out of line and stand up or become unruly. I was thinking about using wax to groom them down. Recommendations??

I can't say I've found it to be a super heavy hold, but I've only used it a few times.

I just ordered some Dub Stache wax and some Mr. King's Marvelous, along with a new mustache/beard comb and some beard oil. I'll chime back in on those after I test out the waxes. I'm not doing the handlebar though, just looking for some natural hold to keep things from being unruly, so my opinions may not help those lucky enough to sport handlebars.

Raising this thread from the dead a bit...

I’ve tried quite a few different mustache waxes over the past couple years and by far Captain Fawcetts “Expedition Strength” has held my unruly stache in place the best!

Captain Fawcetts' is a nice wax, but expensive.

I have been using several pomades (heavy/hard hold) and they work very nicely.
Murray's Superior is my main one, but I also have Schmiere, and Reuzel.

I will not buy the Reuzel again, way too over-powering candy/bubblegum scent. Even after having the lid off for 10 months.

Top Bottom