What's new

mounting a knot

been contemplating buying a separate handle and mounting a knot, my question is what do you use to mount knot to handle, is it glue or is there a sort of putty, what is best🤔cheers guys👍🏼

I have a related question. I fell in love with Omega Boar brushes. Is there any place from where it is possible to buy just their knots without a handle? I would want to make an own brush using their knots.

i looked online, but don't see anywhere selling Omega knots, perhaps buying a brush and removing the knot and placing it in a handle of choice🤔

I have a related question. I fell in love with Omega Boar brushes. Is there any place from where it is possible to buy just their knots without a handle? I would want to make an own brush using their knots.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind chopping up one of their handles some time. But I'll probably do it with a semogue.

(Sent from mobile)

been contemplating buying a separate handle and mounting a knot, my question is what do you use to mount knot to handle, is it glue or is there a sort of putty, what is best🤔cheers guys👍🏼
My post here: GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gc-68oc-gold-grande-yaqi-chrome-mellon-a-journey.585819/post-10669731 I set four knots together with epoxy. I also did a brush later on with silicone as well. There are pros and cons for both. My comment with silicone is I would prefer the tightest fit possible. If the knot you are setting is a SHD super-high-density, these knots need to have a little more room for their bloom at handle lip. The couple I did I preferred an increased space in that area so epoxy was more appropriate. Setting knots 90% of the task is fitting. The 11 11 sale is coming on AliExpress and you may find handles and knots at very good prices, also complete brushes.

My post here: GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gc-68oc-gold-grande-yaqi-chrome-mellon-a-journey.585819/post-10669731 I set four knots together with epoxy. I also did a brush later on with silicone as well. There are pros and cons for both. My comment with silicone is I would prefer the tightest fit possible. If the knot you are setting is a SHD super-high-density, these knots need to have a little more room for their bloom at handle lip. The couple I did I preferred an increased space in that area so epoxy was more appropriate. Setting knots 90% of the task is fitting. The 11 11 sale is coming on AliExpress and you may find handles and knots at very good prices, also complete brushes.
yes, i have a number of items saved in my basket already😂, im glad it doesnt happen too often, I'd be broke😁

Silicone is nice, but I've had one knot fall out after using silicone. It wasn't a problem. I just reset it. I've also used any number of epoxies, which imho work a little better, but are very, very permanent.

Epoxy for me...Since I use only wood I put a thin coat all over the knot hole to make it water resistant....You can also use a Quality CA glue...But prepping the knot hole is the most important part.

I've always used 2-part epoxy, but I prefer synthetics that sit comfortably at their highest natural loft. I don't like to 'sink' the knots any deeper, so it's not important for me to be able to test and adjust later. I've used quarters and nylon washers to adjust the loft.

You could always contact Omega and see if they'll sell you some knots.

Otherwise, there are boar knots for sale from various suppliers that should be similar enough.

Top Bottom