What's new

Mother's metal polish as a stropping paste?

Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish is often used here to polish up straights.

It does a good job. I wonder if anybody here has tried it as a paste on a strop.

I wonder what's in that stuff anyway? Their web site says "secret formula"

And I see they have a new one out now their "Billet" metal polish, whatever that is.

I have a strop with metal polish on, can't remember which make, I think I got the idea from the "Science of Sharp" blog. I have strops with lots of different abrasives on both diamond and the more traditional crox etc I sort of balance the sharpness and smoothness with differently treated strops.

I found the data sheet on Mother's. The abrasive is aluminum oxide. Which is good, that's what's in my naniwa 12.

But the size is about 12u to 15u. So pretty coarse. Not so good for finishing.

issue solved. I'll just use it on a cloth to clean up oxidized razors and remove rust spots.

I think it was used on a denim strop to remove the fine burr after honing ....if i remember correctly.

Yup, it would work for that. But I don't think you need it. You could just drag the foil edge along something, anything other than your leather, and the foil edge would come off.

For another weird solution, if you own a coticule, make a slurry and add mineral oil to it. Use that as a strop paste.

Interesting idea. I don’t have the mothers one but I do have a tub of the renaissance wax metal polish. Wonder if that will work

Top Bottom