What's new

Most vintagy razor, which is not vintage

Hi,

just out of curiosity:
If one wants to buy a razor, which combines the best achievements technology of the past to modern times is able to offer AND wants a razor which looks really vintage designwise - what razor would it be?

Does such a razor exists?
Which one?

The overpriced Rex Ambassador was designed to resemble the Gillette 195 Adjustable, AKA Fatboy.

Any straight razor.

Hi Dominic,

Thank you for your reply! :)

...oh yes...I think my question was too unspecifc ... sorry. I meant DE razors.
Of course any straight razor is the reincarnation of exactly that: The straight razor ...

I will take a look at the Rex Ambassodor (not planning to buy...I am just curious...)
Cheers!

15A0096A-8554-46EC-BA4C-2A8B681B5090.jpeg
Merkur Progress, mid century design. Still has the Bakelite ivory knob and still an excellent shaver. Cons some find the head a bit bulky.

Hi Dominic,

Thank you for your reply! :)

...oh yes...I think my question was too unspecifc ... sorry. I meant DE razors.
Of course any straight razor is the reincarnation of exactly that: The straight razor ...

I will take a look at the Rex Ambassodor (not planning to buy...I am just curious...)
Cheers!
I knew you meant safety razors, but my undisciplined goofball sense of humor often chimes in. It thinks it’s funny, but it’s not.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The Rex Ambassador is nothing like the 195 in my opinion; to me it is more a copy of the Gibbs adjustable or other similar razors such as the Personna. I would just buy a vintage - the appeal of them, for me anyway, is precisely because they are vintage, new razors lack some intangible quality or character. 👍

I knew you meant safety razors, but my undisciplined goofball sense of humor often chimes in. It thinks it’s funny, but it’s not.
Hihihi, I know of this inner kind of humor...I have it also - I like this kind of humor !!! :) And it IS funnt :)
Somehow it reminds me of the Marx brothers, but I could not explain, why

Hi,

just out of curiosity:
If one wants to buy a razor, which combines the best achievements technology of the past to modern times is able to offer AND wants a razor which looks really vintage designwise - what razor would it be?

Does such a razor exists?
Which one?
Your premise that vintage razors somehow lack modern innovation may be slightly misguided. I think one could successfully argue that modern razors do very little to differentiate themselves from vintage other than the more modern materials they are made from such as stainless steel and titanium. Here are exceptions to this of course but my point is that if you like a vintage razor, find one in good condition and it will likely shave as well as any modern equivalent.

HIi srqshaver,

sorry, my english is not that well...I am no native speaker and miss details here and there.
Now having in mind, what you wrote, I better may have written, that I am looking for a vintage looking razor, which recreates
the typical look and (haptical) feeling of classic vintage razors and summarize more if not all good technology achievements
of all times in it.
Buying a vintage razor - especially from a well known American brand like Gillette - isn't that easy here in germany, since ...
it is not America. And if you find one, you will start at 28US$ (my recent search) at least.
If you want to buy a legend like a pre-war Gillette fatboy, you need to import it via Ebay from the US most of the time.
You will pay VAT on top of it, add tax for the customs AND fee for DHL for handling the customs stuff for you beforhand. OUGH!
Or you are happy to meet a generous person (yes, I am talking of you, Multum in parvo :) Thanks a lot again! :) )

OR ... I have looked at the wrong places. Corona nullifies flea markets and such in germany currently (I don't want to take the risk,
I am vaccinated but I don't want to infect others silently.)

How about the Feather Popular? Butterfly head, one-piece razor, and even comes in a plastic case that is reminiscent of vintage Gillettes. What are they, around €20? The handle and base plate are plastic.

I got one for free - a vendor included one when I bought something a bit more expensive - but I haven’t used it yet. I hear it is a mild shaver.

16D30DE9-4A2F-4696-86E5-712B0555339E.jpeg

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I picked up a Merkur 1904, because it had that vintage appeal. It’s a mild shaver, basically a 34C with a hexagonal handle. I found it user friendly.
E0430926-E633-42A6-8CDC-9F3F1439B633.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Lots of vintage feel in the slant world. The RazoRock Wunderbar is an homage to the Mulcuto, the Phoenix Shaving El Fantasma is an homage to the Fasan Double Slant, the RazoRock German 37 is an homage to the Merkur 37 and the Phoenix Alpha Ecliptic is an homage to the Walbusch (which may have been made by Merkur).

Also, not in current production but still find-able here and there is the RazoRock Stealth Slant series, inspired if memory serves by the Globusmann. iKon's Shavecraft 102 is probably another Walbusch homage; also no longer made but an excellent razor if you can land one.

Above the Tie's S series; S1 (SB) and S2 (OC) are excellent slants but not homages to anything but good design principles.

iKon's X3 is a differential head slant, beloved by some. Windrose makes two slants; a tilted homage to Walbusch and a helical homage to Fasan. It's another one of those makes that seem to be somewhat polarizing.

Note: Walbusch was not the only seller of the "humpback" tilted slant but they were one of the more recognizable. Therefore they get tagged a lot when someone makes a tilted slant.

O.H.

On the straight side, Thiers Issard makes a number of razors that are basically replicas of old designs, I especially like the Le Grelots (a brand that TI absorbed).

Top Bottom