What's new

Most Versatile Semogue Boar

I want to purchase a new semogue Boar brush and I'm currently considering the SOC, 830, and 620. I've never owned one before and I've never had the pleasure of handling one. That being said I've watched, read, and researched all the comparisons between the brushes and their specs, but I figured y'all with experience would be a better resource to hear from first hand.

So what would you vote as the most versatile "go to" semogue Boar brush between these three ONLY? The brush that handles all situations, whether it be face or bowl lathering, the one that's the best happy medium between backbone and softness. The SOC, 830, or 620?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the 830 was the greatest brush, for six months. Then it began to get wimpy. Moved to a 620. After a year it was as floppy as could be. I now have a couple of 610s in the rotation. A Badger and Blade member recommended that one. So far, wonderful. I face lather, primarily, BTW. So, 610 is the sweet spot, at least for me. Retail is $22.

My 830 is 8 months old. I face lather exclusively. I love it. I am not a huge fan of a lot of backbone.

I have 2 Omega Boar brushes currently to compare and I wouldn't call either one the "go to" brush I'm searching for. I have one of those humongous Omega Professional brushes and the smaller and much denser Badger and Blade edition. I guess I'm looking for something that's a happy medium between the two.

A nice and balanced Semogue brush, with backbone and soft tips, for face or bowl lathering is Semogue 1800 ( Extra 75% tops mixed with Premium 90% tops ) . If you are a hard core face latherer, (especially with shaving sticks) then any short lofted Semogue with Extra 75% tops will do. Brushes in that category are the 620, 1438 and 1520.

I only have the 830, but it spends the most time at the sink, works great with everything for me. My badgers rarely get used. 830 has a bit more backbone, but smaller than than my Omega 10049, less backbone, bigger knot than my Omega 10066. I have a couple TGN boars, much stiffer and harder than 830.

I would say SOC... keep in mind, will take forever to break it in 830 breaks in much faster.
I liked the 1305, nice little brush - in time, you might chip the paint but not a biggy, it's a fairly inexpensive brush

I only have the SOC & 830. I would say 830 mostly because it breaks in faster. But both are great brushes.

I only have the SOC & 830. I would say 830 mostly because it breaks in faster. But both are great brushes.

I guess I don't mind a longer break-in period. One thing i learned with my Omega Professional is that patience will definitely pay off with Boar brushes. The tips on that brush are awesome now

I guess I don't mind a longer break-in period. One thing i learned with my Omega Professional is that patience will definitely pay off with Boar brushes. The tips on that brush are awesome now

I restricted my comment to Semogue, and I'm still breaking in the SOC. I also have an Omega 10049. If you like the Omega Pro 48 or 49, then the SOC is closer to that than the 830 is. But for face-lathering I'd still go for the 830. YMMV.

I have a 620. I predominately use hard soaps (though I dabble in creams and croaps on occasion), and I face lather. I've used a variety of boars over the past 20+ years (canned goo prior to that), and the 620 is the best I've used, without question. It will be immediately replaced when necessary.

Sorry, I haven't used the other two you ask about, but I figured this would be at least one more data point.

A nice and balanced Semogue brush, with backbone and soft tips, for face or bowl lathering is Semogue 1800 ( Extra 75% tops mixed with Premium 90% tops )
+1. Pics of mine below, next to a 1470. Just got it so it's still breaking in, but honestly the tips are already soft, so it's only going to get better. For me, the face feel and backbone combination is perfect.

IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I'm I big fan of the SOC Boar. I've got four of them, three in custom Rudy Vey handles. I found that it helps to expedite the break-in process if you wipe the brush tips on a clean dry towel after the first few uses; it helps to split the tips. Once broken in, the tips are beautifully soft, but it still retains plenty of backbone.

The SOC is a completely different beast than the other two due to it's size. It's a monster. Do you shave your head too? If so, I'd absolutely steer you towards the SOC. I had one but traded it away, just wasn't for me sadly.

I much prefer the handle and knot size of my 830..yes, it's flimsier now than it was, but it has never had a problem tearing through soaps whether it's DR Harris or Proraso.

To be perfectly honest though, it's likely that the most "versatile" of all these brushes you've mentioned is the Badger&Blade version you already have.

My birthday is coming up soon so I put in the SOC and the 830 as a "gift idea" to my wife. Getting both is a real possibility [emoji38]. I'll report back in a couple weeks to let you guys know what I'm unboxing.

I realize it wasn't one of the three named in the OP, but the Semogue 2000 is one you definitely should consider. It's about the same size as the SOC but in my experience broke in much more quickly. I feel like the 2000 sometimes gets forgotten, and it is one of my favorites.

My birthday is coming up soon so I put in the SOC and the 830 as a "gift idea" to my wife. Getting both is a real possibility [emoji38]. I'll report back in a couple weeks to let you guys know what I'm unboxing.

Terrific solution! Wish you luck!

Top Bottom