What's new

Most surpising blades

I'm going to throw Bic Chrome Platinum into the mix too, they're great from the start.

I agree. They are sharp as well but not harsh for me like feathers. I got a tuck of those along with Treets and Wilks to try out some more blades. I would say they are the 2nd most surprising for me.

7 O'clock Super Stainless was a great surprise for me. I got a tuck thrown in with a razor purchase, and I didn't expect much. Turns out, they're one of the best blades I've ever used.

My most surprising friggin blade has been the Gillette Platinums. Had a box laying around that never really thought of using much. GLAD I DID. immediatly ordered 100. Sharp sharp sharp, and dont think it could possibly be any smoother in a DE 89. I get 4 DE shaves, and 3 per side shavette, which is more than any other blade for me. Shark super chrome was the most disappointing. I wanted them to shave good because of good reviews i had heard about their decent sharpness and price point. They were not as sharp as a personna blue, but were sharp enough to get the job done. But they irritated my neck badly.

I rather like the Dorco 300, pretty good blade for me, the Voskhod I did not like.
From the reviews I would never have believed it until I tried them.

I just had an elightening experience today. Every time I tried an Astra SS I'd get 1-3 weepers, very rare to get one at all for me. I couldn't figure out why they cost more than the clearly superior SP. I set one out last night to load in my de86 this morning. First pass, felt the burr wear off on my right cheek which is typical. No weepers, cutting smooth & close. Completed the second pass and didn't need any more. Usually 3 or 4 passes and touchup are required on my neck to get it baby smooth. After the second pass I was surprised I was done. I thought about how much nicer it was this time around than the SP, with no weepers either. In fact, Polsilver are about the only blade where only two passes are needed. As I wiped off the remaining soap with a towel I thought "That's a good blade". Upon disassmbling my razor to clean it, I realized I had in fact loaded a Chroma Diamont! Once again, the German blade that flies under the radar gave me outstanding results.

The Big Ben blade has given me 5 great shaves in two different razors ... so far...

and the Lord blade and the Super-Max Platinum from London was really smooth as well.

These blades came in a Blade PIF from Blorkin.. Thanks to him, I've learned about some new blades that I really like.. Still have lots of blades to get through.

View attachment 713059

Gillette Wilkinson Swords really impressed me. I heard they were good, but I still didn't expect them to be so spectacular, especially at their price point. I expected the Personna Lab Blues to be good after I heard so many rave reviews about them, but mine suck. They're in the blue box that says comfort coated with the white wrappers, and some claim that these aren't Lab Blues, which only adds to the confusion. All I know is if they're Labs, they suck.

Gillette Wilkinson Swords really impressed me. I heard they were good, but I still didn't expect them to be so spectacular, especially at their price point. I expected the Personna Lab Blues to be good after I heard so many rave reviews about them, but mine suck. They're in the blue box that says comfort coated with the white wrappers, and some claim that these aren't Lab Blues, which only adds to the confusion. All I know is if they're Labs, they suck.

I really like the Gillette Wilkinson Swords too. They're not the longest-lasting blade, but the shaves they give are great. I find it very hard to nick myself with these blades, despite the fact that they are plenty sharp.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I disliked Voskhod immediately. Tried it again on the next day and it took my face a week and a half to recover. There was very little feed back with alum which is good despite that it wasn't.

The blade that surprised me in a good way is Gillette Platinum's from Russia. I find them as smooth as GSB and a bit sharper. Four and five days in they hit their stride being even more incredibly smooth and still equally efficient. I bought 300 and have 400 on the way.

Last edited:
Kept reading how great Israeli Personas were but went through a whole sample pack without ever finishing a single pass before changing. Just didn't work for me.
Don't like the much-loved Voskhods either. Don't get me started on Treet.

Have not been suprised by any i've liked as they have all come with many recommendations.

One thing is for certain. Never bulk buy blades on anyone's recommendation, and never avoid trying blades because a few reviewers dislike them.

I mentioned a few surprising good blades, time to mention a surprisingly bad one: Crystal. Just awful fir me, tugs and pulls, scrapes and abrades, and leaves me feeling like I gained more stubble than I lost. It's not as bad as GRAFCO blades (TBFH) but it's definitely the next worse for me.

Voskhod surprised me by being dull and tuggy. ladas were similar but that didn't surprise me.

Swedish supersteel surprised me by being even duller. It's meant to be one of rapiras premier blades.

Shark continually surprise me by being at least as good as anything else I have thusfar tried. including silver blues, astras, platinum lux, derby, dorco etc..

Nice topic. The biggest surprise for me was the orange Asco, made by Lord:

$9ePNQO.jpg

Lord also makes Sharks, and both Shark varieties were among the worst blades that I have ever used. The orange Asco has like a 10-foot thick layer of Teflon so that even when the blade was dull and barely cutting hair, it was still really comfortable and I could hardly nick myself even if I had tried.

My biggest letdown was Gillette Silver Blue:

$yno07D.jpg

It wasn't a bad blade but it had a lot of bite. I didn't feel like it was any better than Astra SPs and I was expecting a lot more considering how popular these blades are. Even if I hadn't read any opinions on it before using one, I still would've thought that it was mediocre at best.

I had a shave with a Shark Super Stainless today and had somewhat low expectations after being a little underwhelmed by the other Lord blades I had tried of Silver Star and Big Ben, but the Shark SS produced an outstanding shave. Not the sharpest blade I have used but smooth and forgiving.

I'd say Voskhods as well. Many people raved about them. I didn't think they were special at all. I'd say Personna Labs too. They weren't bad but I got some inconsistent blades and got a nick because of that so no more Labs for me.

I have found the same with labs. Surprisngly meds were almost as good as GSB for me but not willing to pay for them even though most say it is same blade as labs. I bought 100 labs cheap but think I will give them to my Marine son to share with his other baby faced buds who may benefit more than me.

Top Bottom