What's new

Most protective soaps for fragile skin?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Valobra, Speick, Tabac, Mike's Natural, Nuavia... Incoukd come up with more but these 5 are all insanely protective.

Any tips?

Haha you pulled the trigger! I totally missed the fact that mensbiz had a physical store.

I face lather, so that would be my tip. Give it a good load (which it sounds like you have). Hope you find the sweet spot.

Anything vegan soaps do, tallow can do better! For example: Sudsy Soapery vegan soaps, very nice... their new tallow version, FUHGET ABOUT IT!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which Sudsy soaps are you saying have tallow, mate?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just some thoughts. This is my personal opinion, take it for what it's worth of feel free to ignore it completely.

A few years ago I'd have said that tallow soaps are definitely superior but in having tried a lot of the new non-tallow offerings, made by the many skilled artisans, I can no longer say that. In fact, in evaluating a soap I don't look at the labels. I don't even take tallow vs. non tallow into consideration anymore because it's a non factor. The non-tallow soaps have come a long way and in my opinion that performance gap has been completely closed.

Sudsy Soapery is working on a tallow version of their soap. I've been sent a sample of it to try and, while it's better than most of what other vendors are putting out, in my opinion it's not nearly as good as their non-tallow version, which is absolutely outstanding. Do keep in mind that they've set the bar really high with their non-tallow vesion and my expectations for them are extremely high. The vendor feels the same way as his assessment of the soap was pretty much the same as mine, it's just not quite there yet. The Rose and Black Pepper scent that they sent me in that version is definitely a keeper. A really outstanding scent that I'd like to see in their current version as well. So, yes they are working on a tallow version but it's far from done.

The Mitchel's Wool Fat soap is a very good soap but what stops me from using it is the white film it leaves on my sink, razor and anything else that comes in contact with it. To me it's not worth dealing with the mess it leaves behind. Some have had issues lathering it as well but it's never been a problem for me. On a positive note a puck last forever and it's a pretty good shaving soap. For me it's not as good as my top choices but still it's a very good soap.

We have a very similar list of favorites.

I still preffered the performance of Glissant to be honest. The recent pre-sale would have been more tempting to me if it were so, then again I'm also on the fence on the scent.

I do hear a lot of good things about the reserve line, so it's probably a matter of dialing it in.

Have you tried SV's 4.3 formula? If you haven't, I bet you're going to really like it.

I've tried several of the SV soaps in several different versions. I believe that I've tried the 4.3 version unless it's completely new as a friend who's really into their soaps sent me samples of just about everything. For me it's an excellent soap but I don't get the kind of post shave that I get from my other favorites.

GroomingDept

To the OP's (@TheKman) question there are many great ones:

Tallow & Steel
Sudsy Soapery
L&L
WK (Donkey)

The most protective soap for fragile skin I have used is GroomingDept. If you head over to the GD website and look at his final Vegan & Tallow soap ingredient lists you might understand my enthusiasm. In testing these soaps I haven't found a better shaving product for ones skin.

I did reach out to The Grooming Dept and they'll be sending some of their soaps for the soap sample passaround. So I'll get to try them and a lot of the guys participating will have that opportunity as well. It's one I'm looking forward to trying based on your recommendation.

I'm still pretty new to this, but I've reach the point where I've tried several of the soaps mentioned in this thread, and they are good, especially Haslinger, which produces a lot of rich, slick lather very easily. But I'm still partial to Proraso white (for sensitive skin) which doesn't seem nearly as slick but somehow gives me very good results.

Wonderful David. I'm glad Mohammad will participate.

@mozartman yes, Haslinger is really a great soap. I've never had any adverse reaction and the sheeps milk is great come wintertime.

... But I'm still partial to Proraso white (for sensitive skin) which doesn't seem nearly as slick but somehow gives me very good results.

I feel the same way about the green, can't say I really understand why.

Went back to the Fat this morning, still some residual trouble from earlier in the week but definitely recovering. I see a few people taking either small scoops of soft soap, or grating hard soap, into a bowl and pressing it in, then blooming it for a few minutes before building a lather. I've not tried this technique yet, perhaps this is a useful way to ensure correct loading?

How are you sensitive, if it's the ingredients, I'd say Proraso white.

If you want more cushion, slickness, and such for say thin skin that nicks easily, Stirling! I've had the razor or brush slip out of my hand if I haven't washed it off after lathering. Using Stirling is like reducing the sharpness of the blade by a level or two, it's just that protective when lathered well.

After Stirling, it's soaps along the line of Tabac or Dr Harris (very rich protective soap).

Those are the ones that come to bind as being much slicker and protective than the Proraso, but perhaps not as easy ingredient wise on the skin. (Although the Stirling & DR Harris contain very good ingredients, and I've never felt irritation even lathering over a nick or cut).

Actually I didn't use the word sensitive, but rather, fragile. I made the distinction to underline that fact that I no longer think the ingredients have anything to do with the problem, and in fact, I'd opened my experience to include soaps and creams that I would have otherwise dismissed.

I had awful acne as a young man which required prescription topical treatment, and later medications. I also started developing a beard quite young which resulted in a lot of scaring. By the time I was working professionally there was a lot of damage done, not to mention the prolific moles. So, I'm searching for something which can help prevent cuts and irritation on my mottled skin while still allowing me a close shave. I have one of those beards that just looks untidy (not to mention grey now), so a clean shave is the only option.

I can partially relate to the fragile, I have a nice scar under my chin and one on my left cheek from childhood accidents, which take some care when shaving. (Open comb razors and slants seem to grab them). Try some Stirling, I've never had an issue shaving those areas with any of the Stirling soaps, and they're only around $2.00-$2.50 an ounce, as the container is huge.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Baume.be yet. It is a very slick and protective soap. I get closer shaves with it than anything else (Pannacrema, SMN, SV, Jabonman, MdC, LPL, XPEC, i Coloniali, Boellis, ADP, ABC, etc.).

I still prefer SMN for my daily driver due to scent and post shave feel.

For the SMN, I don't load in the tub, I scoop out an almond size amount and load in a bowl and lather on my face. It is not the kind of soap that produces super thick yogurt-like lather. If you don't think your SMN is going to work out for you, PM me and we'll see if we can work something out :)

Actually I didn't use the word sensitive, but rather, fragile. I made the distinction to underline that fact that I no longer think the ingredients have anything to do with the problem, and in fact, I'd opened my experience to include soaps and creams that I would have otherwise dismissed.

I had awful acne as a young man which required prescription topical treatment, and later medications. I also started developing a beard quite young which resulted in a lot of scaring. By the time I was working professionally there was a lot of damage done, not to mention the prolific moles. So, I'm searching for something which can help prevent cuts and irritation on my mottled skin while still allowing me a close shave. I have one of those beards that just looks untidy (not to mention grey now), so a clean shave is the only option.
Please keep us posted on your findings. FWIW, I've found that the biggest improvement from my adoption of the "shaving hobby" is not razors or blades, but soaps. My facial skin is much clearer and smoother than it has been in many years, and I think it's mostly due to better soap, something I paid little attention to for most of my life.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Please keep us posted on your findings. FWIW, I've found that the biggest improvement from my adoption of the "shaving hobby" is not razors or blades, but soaps. My facial skin is much clearer and smoother than it has been in many years, and I think it's mostly due to better soap, something I paid little attention to for most of my life.

That's a great point. When I got into DE shaving and the better soaps/creams, I noticed much better shaves even from my cartridge razor I used while traveling...

Gladly, and inline with mozartmans's findings, the SMN may have just highlighted another flaw in my routine.

This morning I decided to to remove a small amount of the SMN from the tub and bloom it in the warm shave bowl during my shower. It's clear now that I wasn't loading the brush enough the first time, because this time I made a rich and thick later very easily. My skin it still recovering from the first attempt, but, with a new RPL blade and this new rich lather the shave was very comfortable indeed.

I've been paying very careful attention to every step of the routine recently, and because this shave felt comfortable and there was very little alum sting and no visible additional redness or soreness I though I'd nailed it. So when I felt a little soreness after a further 30 minutes I realised that the moisturiser was at fault. After washing off the Nivea Men creme, all is now well. Lesson; assume nothing. I've been using it for years and didn't realise it was irritating my skin.

So now I have a solid pre-shave routine, the right razor and blade, speculatively the right shave cream, now I just need to hone the post-shave routine.

I'd never have learned all of these lessons if I wasn't inspired to try a DE. I'm very grateful to the B&B community for all I've learned here. Thanks folks.

Gladly, and inline with mozartmans's findings, the SMN may have just highlighted another flaw in my routine.

This morning I decided to to remove a small amount of the SMN from the tub and bloom it in the warm shave bowl during my shower. It's clear now that I wasn't loading the brush enough the first time, because this time I made a rich and thick later very easily. My skin it still recovering from the first attempt, but, with a new RPL blade and this new rich lather the shave was very comfortable indeed.

I've been paying very careful attention to every step of the routine recently, and because this shave felt comfortable and there was very little alum sting and no visible additional redness or soreness I though I'd nailed it. So when I felt a little soreness after a further 30 minutes I realised that the moisturiser was at fault. After washing off the Nivea Men creme, all is now well. Lesson; assume nothing. I've been using it for years and didn't realise it was irritating my skin.

So now I have a solid pre-shave routine, the right razor and blade, speculatively the right shave cream, now I just need to hone the post-shave routine.

I'd never have learned all of these lessons if I wasn't inspired to try a DE. I'm very grateful to the B&B community for all I've learned here. Thanks folks.

Glad you found a method to make the SMN work for you, and on the revelation regarding your moisturiser.

Have you considered a face moisturiser during the day? I've been using Sukin sensitive under my chin a few hours after I've shaved and it seems to calm down any irritation and redness that I have.

I grabbed some of the wife's QV skin repair today, seems ok. The Nivea has alcohol in it which might be the problem.

Top Bottom