What's new

Most overrated and unnecessary shaving products?

More than one of anything. I have 3 brushes that sit around doing nothing. I have 3 razors that sit around doing nothing. I do have one menthol and one non menthol soap so that's not as bad but more than a couple pucks of soap is a waste. Preshave products and most post shave products as well. Never could tell a performance difference from Thayers and bargain brand witch hazel.
This list could continue.

I used to use a preshave, and a alum block. I have no need for them anymore, I get a great shave without them. It's all personnel preferences on what you like.

i usually forget to put on the preshave oil and i think i get as good a shave without it, just make sure i get a good lather. however, i have a medium/light beard, so that may be the reason for me. i will use it up, when i remember to use it.

there's always a plan B

I don't really see the need for preshave products such as the funny oils and such. IMO the shaving soap is the only preshave I really need. I find I get a really nice shave without anything else. I use aftershaves just because I kind of like the burn and enjoy the smell.

Sometimes I chuckle when I read many shaving forums and groups posts. Wet shaving is supposed to be a harkening to the days of manly simplicity and utility, the days when men were still men. Fathers, grandfathers are recalled with nostalgia, the manly rituals recreated and reimagined.

What we have now instead is plain childish consumerist indulgence -- kids in a candy shop who don't know when to stop. Hardly a manly endeavor.

"Expensive/niche is better." I scratch my head when I read fawning reviews of $300 brushes, $50 soaps, $300 colognes, $400 razors. Are they good, amazing? Of course they are! They better be -- for that kind of money. They better be -- for that kind of material sourcing, for that kind of time and labor put in which is reflected in the price.
Yet so many wet shavers of all shaving persuasions scour flea markets, antique shops, and ebay for vintage Gillettes, GEMs, etc. They search for items which were machine tooled and mass produced on Fordian scale -- opposite of artisanal, niche products.
In my book, finding a product that is scalable for the global capitalism/consumerism and still delivers top notch quality for a decent, affordable price that works for many and not just few is a true gem. Thus, give me an Omega boar any day over some fancy handled art piece. Give me a Jacques Bogart EDT and Aqua Velva AS over a Tom Ford creamsicle or some other 10 word "creation". In other words, $300 brush or razor (oh the scales! the detailing!) makes you about as manly and part of a tradition of wet shaving men as a Prince of Keepdreamea.

"Sometimes I chuckle when I read many shaving forums and groups posts. Wet shaving is supposed to be a harkening to the days of manly simplicity and utility, the days when men were still men. Fathers, grandfathers are recalled with nostalgia, the manly rituals recreated and reimagined. "

Now when I myself read something like that....I also chuckle. Wet shaving is "supposed to be..." Really ???
It's supposed to be whatever a person wants it to be. If that includes a person enjoyed a finely machined $300 razor, so be it.
Things can stay the same for some...for others they can change and progress in to new areas. Whatever suites you.

dreinhart said:
It's supposed to be whatever a person wants it to be. Things can stay the same for some...for others they can change and progress in to new areas. Whatever suites you.

Yep

I'm a minimalist and pinch pennies but have no problem with indulgence.
My only turn-off is when people use over the top hyperbole in denigrating a "cheap" product they wouldnt use for an up-market one in order to show they have "taste" and "refinement"

I agree - shaving is shaving. It's a task that most of us perform at least every other day. It's the end goal that is what drives the user.

1) Remove hair from face. (standard cartridge/electric/sandpaper/waxer).
2) Clean shave and feeling good afterwards. (Cartridge/DE/SE/Straight with more care than 1)
3) #2, with the goal to NOT be throwing plastic away constantly. (DE/SE/Straight)
4) #3, but adding in taking time to make the face feel as good as possible, for as long as possible.
5) #4, but ending up feeling _really good_ about yourself. The ultimate scent, shave, and zen moment. (The consumerist)

This idea that the manly men of the past had one (01) razor, one (01) brush, and a tin mug that they brought home from Iwo Jima isn't really accurate IMO.

As I remember it, most guys had several DE razors - at least one at home (including a broken one), one at the office or the gym (or both), and maybe one in a travel kit. Obviously some were favored and others rarely used, including a few that they got as gifts.
Same with most of the rest of it, because shaving equipment was a popular gift when men required equipment to do it. Canned foam displaced brushes and mugs pretty quickly based on sheer convenience, but all the drug stores and department stores featured big displays of shaving stuff around the holidays including high-end DE razors, aftershave, hot lather machines, etc. I'm sure guys with more money had more expensive stuff, as is always the case.
I agree that some of the high-end soaps are a little "frou-frou," but for every one puck of Penhaligon out there, there are probably a thousand of Arko or Williams. There are always items to splurge on or for gift-giving, for any interest you may have.

It is the same as that legendary carpenter who could make a Grand Piano and had just one handsaw - that guy might be out there, but he's the exception, not the rule. Most carpenters had a whole case of different handsaws, beautifully kept, along with a dozen or more specialized planes in different sizes, and on and on. That is more the nature of things than Spartan asceticism IME

On topic - I don't need any pre-shave products, aftershaves other than witch hazel (Thayer's preferred), or hot-water scuttles (although I'd be happy to try one if I got it as a gift :001_smile )

Wow. Somebody struck a nerve. Well, I'm a minimalist in the sense that I have one razor and one brush, but I also bought a lathering bowl (1) that was made for the purpose. When I started wet shaving, I batted around trying a number of recommended shaving soaps, bought a pre-shave oil, and a selection of AS balms and splashes. I spent more money than I meant to, but also put some things I didn't want to splurge on on my Christmas list. One result is I have enough of a variety of good-to-great products to last me til next Christmas and beyond.

I don't need a lot of it. But I like it. I don't remember anyone except maybe some vendors ever telling me I needed anything.

I find using the bloom water off the Ogallala Bay Rum Soap does just as well as the Proraso Red Preshave... but i have brought it so I will use it....

"Travel" sized razor handles.

The difference (in mass or volume) between those and regular handles is not worth the inconvenience, when thrown into a suitcase or carry-on bag the size of a hockey bag.
A telescoping handle might make a bit of sense.

Travel brushes are a different thing though. I love my Wee Scot, and I don't travel anywhere.
If I did travel a lot, I would get one with a "turnback" style handle/case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind, the travel bags were NOT the size of a duffel. These were intended to fit into a bag around 8 inches long, three inches wide, and four inches tall. It held _everything_ that a man might need if his luggage went to Istanbul while he was flying to New York. It also might fit into a briefcase, so you could stop for a quick touch up shave in the bathroom before stopping in a board room. Underwear, shaving equipment, soap, shampoo, cologne - quite possibly a small mug for the soap.

How do I know that? It's what my grandfather did for years, travelling around third world countries, such as Turkey, Mozambique, Somalia, Sicily, Colombia, New York. Big suitcases in hold, and the travelling bag in his mitts. Worst thing happened, he could wash his shirt in the sink, hang it to dry, shave in the morning, and if he had enough time, stop to buy a new shirt/underwear/socks on the way to the ESSO offices.

The large razor(s) were kept in the big bags. This was a "Just in case everything goes to hell" package.

I use a pre shave oil, Jojoba with 6 drops of tee tree oil. It's not Truefitt & Hill expensive but it makes a very real difference to my shaves.

I have coarse hair and sensitive skin, soaps & blades really make a very real difference to my shaves. That doesn't mean I have to buy MdC to get a good shave but bar soap ain't cuttin it either.

The rest of that stuff is luxury items that nobody is seriously saying is 100% necessary for a good shave. Since we all already know it's not necessary you condescendingly sharing that makes you sound like a pompous windbag.

But since this is America I don't have to justify my wants with you first, thank god.

Top Bottom