What's new

Most Overrated and Underrated razors in your collection?

Sorry, I missed that. From the review,
"There is no Gillette branding or marks on the razor, none, nada. If you took a vintage common bar handle and had it chrome plated, or just buy a new one and put a Muhle r89 head on it, you would make a razor identical and indistinguishable from the Gillette Heritage. Why? Because that is what Gillette did.

Overall, a good bargain for a Muhle r89 with a nice case and a nice tuck of blades. But you do not get a Gillette razor, only a Gillette case."

I do like the looks of the handle.

Most overrated is the Muhle R41. Yes, it is very effiecient, but it is not very comfortable to use. Also, most slants are overrated IMO.
I won't say the Muhle R41 is the MOST overrated, but I will say it's a close second (to the EJ 89, but for different reasons). The Muhle is a road grater - - carves into your face more like a wood chipper than a sleek samurai's sword. But as a user of OC's, I have to go with Fatip and Shone at the top of the preffered list. As for underrated - - any Parker OC; extremely serviceable razors.

Over:
Heavy handles (large heavy handles suck, I sold mine off and have only Ti now, which is the perfect weight)
Gillette Adjustables (gimmicky, bulky, pretty though)
Rockwell 6S (ok shaver, absolutely hideous appearance)
Any cast zinc razor (professionals have standards)

Under:
Weber Polished (shame the production issues killed it, the only sintered head razor I use)
New Deluxe (hefty for a Gillette head they didn't skimp here, more aggressive than most of Gillettes heads)
Rocket 500 (the only TTO than makes it to my rotation)

Honorable mention:
Gamechanger 84 (Hard to call this over or underrated, shave reminds me of the Weber Polished, but has better tolerances, is still in production and is very fairly priced.)

Over:
Heavy handles (large heavy handles suck, I sold mine off and have only Ti now, which is the perfect weight)
Gillette Adjustables (gimmicky, bulky, pretty though)
Rockwell 6S (ok shaver, absolutely hideous appearance)
Any cast zinc razor (professionals have standards)

Under:
Weber Polished (shame the production issues killed it, the only sintered head razor I use)
New Deluxe (hefty for a Gillette head they didn't skimp here, more aggressive than most of Gillettes heads)
Rocket 500 (the only TTO than makes it to my rotation)

Honorable mention:
Gamechanger 84 (Hard to call this over or underrated, shave reminds me of the Weber Polished, but has better tolerances, is still in production and is very fairly priced.)
Here here re heavy handles. I find the appeal baffling.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Over rated: Everready Streamline, one of the nicest razors to look at but you need good technique to master it.
Under rated: Most Gem Razors, Everready 1914 & 1924, Oneblade Core, Gillette New long comb & Razorock Mission & Razorock SLOC & a lot of Schick injector E-M type razors.

As a daily shaver I like mild to mid range aggressive efficient razors it seems so if it Vintage or Modern I will more than likely enjoy them with the right blade.

Underrated: Star DE razor. To me, a slightly better Tech razor than the Gillette. It’s ever-so-slightly more efficient and the head is slimmer.

It preceded the Tech and is a better razor (IMO) but it cost twice as much at .99. The rest is history.

Overrated: Gillette 1.95 aka Fatboy. It’s nice to look at, but not as nice as a good 3 piece razor (IMO).

Like other have said one of the most overrated razors I fell is the Fatboy and the Krona one of the most underrated. I would like to add that the Razorock MJ90A should get more notice too. Great razor.

My last eleven razors I put on BST. Sold eight of them, put the other three in the back of the closet. I have one razor in the den. Fatip Gold Grande

Attachments

• 5B00CD9F-5405-4BA7-A23A-5E2FADEFF083.jpeg
    5B00CD9F-5405-4BA7-A23A-5E2FADEFF083.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 55
Underrated: Lord L5. Simply a fantastic razor at a bargain price.

Overrated: Schick Krona. I can get BBS out of it but it takes work. Finicky; very narrow angle of attack.

Kronas and Superspeeds aren’t BBS razors. DFS at best. They’re from an age when you shaved absolutely every day. Like a little stubble? Not allowed in the office. 2nd day growth? Same thing.

Your comment on the Lord L5 though is interesting. They’re cheap. I may just have to try one.

Underrated:

Feather AS-D2. A lot of people write these up as being incredibly mild but I'd disagree. There's no blade feel but they are very good at mowing down whiskers.

Muhle R41. It seems that it's a right of passage to have an r41. I see many guys who buy an r41 with little or no experience who butcher themselves with this then go online badmouthing it. Used correctly it's a fine razor.

Edwin Jagger DE89. A beginner's razor. Many of us started with this but it seems to get a bad reputation these days. People very quickly get jump ship as they don't want to be seen using a beginners razor when in actual fact this is possibly all they will ever need.

Overrated:

Rockwell 6c/s. Every man and his dog are raving over this but I just don't get it. Its bulky/unwieldy and there's many reports of the threads stripping. I realise it has 6 choices of plate but who uses them all? Most people will pick one and stick with it meaning the rest gather dust.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Don’t own an AS-D2 so I can’t comment on that but I agree on the R41 and DE89. Especially on the DE89. I have had an Edwin Jagger for years and it is a great smooth DFS shaver.

Don’t know why it has become de rigueur to slam it. As for the reports of the post breaking off when you drop it, stop dropping it. I haven’t dropped a razor in 30 years. What is going on?

Overrated: RFB New - The two I have don't feel or perform any better than ordinary New LCs.

I'm kind of sceptical about the hype surrounding all the rarer razors, especially Gillette razors. It just seems so unlikely that out of all the many razors they made, all the best ones are coincidentally the ones they made so few of.

Underrated: Standard Aluminum - nicely finished smooth shaver that never attracted a hype train like so many other modern razors do.

Yep, forgot to mention my Standard Razor. I lucked out a got them at $25 for scratch and dent. Perfect finish, just think they were unloading for version 2. Feels like a much lighter, but much more aggressive version of the R89.
You are right .....I got one too its a very good razor.You have to be careful with sharp blades as its more aggressive than it looks and feels!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom