What's new

Most Overrated Aftershave?

The jingle, oth, is way underrated.

I've tried a variety of under 10 dollar after shaves and the only one I could use was Clubman. Was quite fond of it for a long while. After buying the expensive stuff made of Unicorn snot, Yeti intestines and the filtered sweat from 60 year old virgins who worked in Hollywood, I stopped using Clubman. I think the cheapest AS on my shelf right now are the Fine aftershaves which I find remarkably good. Especially the Clean Vetiver. And the most expensive is north of a hundred. It was a gift and one I enjoy more than I have a right to.

I have cheap tastes in many things, but alas, aftershave ain't one of 'em. I envy you'se guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua Velva. Tried it twice just to be sure I didn't get a bad batch, I didn't. Gas station men's room urinal cake. Love me some Skin Bracer though, go figure.

For me Mr. Fine's aftershaves are overrated. $15 bucks for a short ingredient list, very light scents and huge amounts of menthol. In addition, I was unfortunate enough to get the new, ugly bottles. I'm glad they are very easy to sell on BST.

I have a $4 bottle of Aqua Velva that performs exactly how an aftershave is supposed to. I'd say, in the truest form of the word "overrated" anything more than $4 would be my answer.

Ask me which ridiculously expensive bottles of aftershaves I don't think are worth $.20 and then you'll get some different answers.

I keep my aftershaves simple and to the point. I do not use any aftershave that costs more than $20. I do not use the highly reviewed after shaves, the only exception is Fine (which I think is a great product).

For myself Ogallala Bay rum was a so-so product, definitely not worth buying for the 2nd time.

There are many over-rated AS when it comes to price. Higher price does not necessarily mean higher quality. But to me the most over-rated AS is due mainly to scent. Pinaud's Lilac Vegital (The Veg). I know there are many that like it, but I don't get the hype. Most times it's the urine smell that is off-putting, but get past that and there is no lilac, it's all vegital and I don't don't find that pleasant (and don't forget the uniquely Veg characteristic of being unable to wash the scent off). Plus there are no healing qualities to it, scent aside. So there it is. YMMV.
Well said. I agree 100% !!!

Master's Bay Rum?

My very first introduction to bay rums. Thank god I thought "they can't be all like this?" and tried some others. But I have to say it makes a good chaser in a bootlegger's cocktail. lol

Honestly, i don't really have a specific over-rated aftershave...I am just not a fan of spending too much $$$ on one. Similarly, I think bottles are over-rated. As long as the bottle has some type of reducer then I am good to go. I don't care about a special flask-style bottle or one with fancy labeling - give me the cheapest bottle with a reducer and direct the cost difference to more aftershave fluid.

I'll have to agree with the others who have mentioned Pinaud Clubman - I can't stand the scent. And I'll throw one more in, even though I know it's going to rile up the already angry villagers: Alt Innsbruck - I just can't stand that sweet, cloying scent at all. Thank goodness for samples. YMMV, of course, with all due respect.

Special Reserve , can't stand the scent. Not impressed with Speick,scent is very fleeting, which I guess is a good thing. With all due respect to those who love these 2, and I know you are out there.

Am I going to kick up a sh*t storm here?...

Witch Hazel

It is touted on threads here to be magical and the answer to our shaving prayers, however I found the benefits did not live up to the hype.

Floid blue, kind of meh for me. Will have to do something with it as it's mostly full and I haven't used it in about 6-7 months.

Top Bottom