What's new

Most moisturizing cream or soap?

I searched through the forums and I haven't been able to find a good answer so far. I've been dealing with dry skin on my cheeks for years, but when I say dry I don't mean flaky dry, I just mean my skin gets very tight to the point where I have a stretch mark on my cheek from years ago before I learned about moisturizer. While the switch to wet shaving has helped somewhat I still find that my cheeks are dry and tight and I have to slap on three layers of moisturizer after shaving just to get through the day (and this is an improvement!). If I use Nivea cream afterward it only requires one application but leaves a shiny, greasy layer on my skin for hours.

So I'd like to throw this question out there, what is the most moisturizing cream or soap, I have no preference, out there? I understand that YMMV and that each person is different but I'd like to make a list of things to try in (for lack of better description) my quest for moist cheeks.

Just as a reference point, so far I've tried:
Soaps: VDH Deluxe, Williams, Col. Conk, Wilkinson, Proraso Green Tea & Aloe
Creams: Proraso Green, JM Fraser's, Nivea, Real Shave Co Moisturizing, Gillette

All of these leave my skin dry and tight to varying degrees. Any other advice is welcome as well. Help!

What about changing your moisturizer instead?

Since soap is a wash off product that won't be making that big of a difference if your having problems with dry skin. But a leave on product will make a big difference. Have you considered using the moisturizer twice a day as well. (in the morning and in the evening)

Mineral oil is a petroleum based product is used in many lotions, creams and moisturizers because it's used as a barrier ingredient, much like putting a piece of seran wrap over your skin. But the skin won't absorb it but those that mass produce products use it because it's a cheap ingredient to use .

Another ingredient that is commonly added that can actually dry skin out more is glycerin. It's been thought to be good for the skin for years but I'm glad research is coming out on this product to show that it can actually draw moisture out of your skin which dries it out even further. Many commercial producers use it because it's a cheap filler ingredient. They also use it because it adds to the "forever" shelf life.

So you might want to read the labels on the products your using. Do some research on the ingredients being used and decide if you should switch to a different moisturizer.

Here is a great article covering both mineral oil and glycerin. There are several others but this one is written up very well and contain both ingredients on the same page.
http://www.muracream.com/minoil-gly

Woody's Meat and Potatoes bar is the most moisterizing bath soap I used till today. It blows Porto Claus back to Portugal (I have them too).
The good thing is this soap can be used as a shaving soap as well and it is a good one which is in my regular rotation.
I don't use any splash or ASB after I shaved with this one but I have a normal skin.

Here is my review.

If it doesn't work for you than you can always take it to the shower.

not having a humungous experience on loads of products i'd still say MWF springs to mind as the obvious choice due to the lanolin in it

Kiss My Face Lavender with shea butter is pretty dogone moisturizing, and available locally at many health food stores.

IK for soap
Provence Sante Green tea Shave cream. (doesn't lather well, but is very slick and I get very close shaves with it and skin feels great after using)
GFT coconut oil Shave cream, and TOBS Avocado are good, but the scent on these 2 are very much YMMV.

You may want to try L'Occitane CADE. It comes in soap or cream. The SS is $10 for a puck (but $28 for the dedicated aluminum bowl, which is nice, but not necessarry), the SC is about $28 for a tube, and both are excellent. I particularly like the soap, and together they make a wonderful superlather.

I like Krissy's advice, since there may well be many more factors at play here than just your shaving cream. Per your original question, though, I haven't found a more conditioning shaving cream than Nancy Boy, either scent.

I'd Try These:

Soap:
L'occitane Cade
Provence Sante

Creams:
Trumpers Coconut or TOBS avocado.

I found that MWF dried my skin out, and many of the British soaps, while not necessarily drying, did not do a good job when it came to moisturizing, but were more neutral.

I use the above creams and soaps exclusively.

I'd Try These:

Soap:
L'occitane Cade
Provence Sante

Creams:
Trumpers Coconut or TOBS avocado.

I found that MWF dried my skin out, and many of the British soaps, while not necessarily drying, did not do a good job when it came to moisturizing, but were more neutral.

I use the above creams and soaps exclusively.

+1 on Trumpers Coconut, and I found that any of the Trumpers creams I tried moisturized well.

Valobra and Gold-Dachs soaps also worked quite nicely.

I have to say I found the cream to be somewhat drying. I've heard better things about the soap but I haven't tried it myself. I've heard the same thing about Institut Karite. I have the cream and was disappointingly underwhelmed at the moisturizing properties therein. The soap is supposed to be better. That being said, ToBS Avocado is nice, as is Tabac. both leave my face pretty darned soft.

You may want to try L'Occitane CADE. It comes in soap or cream. The SS is $10 for a puck (but $28 for the dedicated aluminum bowl, which is nice, but not necessarry), the SC is about $28 for a tube, and both are excellent. I particularly like the soap, and together they make a wonderful superlather.

+1 on TOBS avocado. I have very dry skin, and it feels best on days I use this. But I also think your last step is more important than your first for moisturizing. Nivea is not my favorite balm either.

MWF for soap.

I bought this soap and used it a few times now and I think it it not as moisterizing as people claim.
My Woods of Windsor soap (tallow based) and Woody's (Aloe vera, glycerine, shea butter, tea tree oil, canabis seed oil) are far more moisterizing.

MWF moisturizes me like no tomorrow. Totally beats out Tabac and Pre de Provence in that area (not all other areas, of course; all three soaps are great).

Hiya ZZ,

I use P160 soap, its soft and I find it very moisturizing ( it contains tallow).

Or another option I heard discussed is using some sort of oil, such as olive oil as a shaving medium. It was used by the roman's centuries ago.
I don't know whether or not that would appeal but it would keep your face very moisturised, although it is a very different experience (having experimented with it myself).

In any case hope You find a Solution

Regards :001_smile

Top Bottom