What's new

Most men/women razors look just like this

Those cartridges are impossible to clean especially if you use canned foam which is very thick; even watered down it does not flow well. If you are not a daily shaver the extra length the extra stubble length just clogs it up. I am glad I gave them up for the DE.

Yes, it's a good reminder for all of us that we did good by staying away from those cartridges!
Seriously, they have nothing good going for them.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The brush? How could the brush be gross - it's constantly covered with soap! If soap doesn't clean things I'm going to have to convert all my clothes and dishes to disposables.

The brush? How could the brush be gross - it's constantly covered with soap! If soap doesn't clean things I'm going to have to convert all my clothes and dishes to disposables.
+1. The brush is probably more contaminated from the handling process when purchasing, than after a few good lathers, rinse and hang to dry.:shaving:

Wow. I never used anything with more than two blades, so I don't know what it's like to keep 3/4/5 blade carts clean. But really...

Big thing that annoyed me when I used cartridges razors, skip day or two and there's a good chance you'll be tossing your cart after the shave, anything beyond a day's growth tends to clog them up and with the minimal gap between the blades they're almost impossible to clear out again. At least with a DE you can loosen the cap if necessary.

Also, looking at the picture it looks like he doesn't properly massage his shave gel into a foam so that only going to make matters worse.

One of the joys of DE shaving is that I feel no compunction about just throwing out the blades after a few shaves. Frankly speaking I've now spent more on the hobby than just throwing out a Gillette cartridge every week would have cost. But somehow that didn't feel right and I'd stretch them out. So feeling like i can toss a blade every couple of shaves or stretch them out for half a dozen shaves without guilt is a big part in not ever having to worry about grotty razors.

Brushless shaving cream?
He is using canned gel from Edge.
One of the joys of DE shaving is that I feel no compunction about just throwing out the blades after a few shaves. Frankly speaking I've now spent more on the hobby than just throwing out a Gillette cartridge every week would have cost. But somehow that didn't feel right and I'd stretch them out. So feeling like i can toss a blade every couple of shaves or stretch them out for half a dozen shaves without guilt is a big part in not ever having to worry about grotty razors.
Yes, exactly! Better, more enjoyable shaves and we get to throw out blades with no remorse.

My late Father never shaved with anything other than a Philishave electric. But he would take that thing apart after every shave, and thoroughly clean it out every day. Seeing as how I do not grow hair fast enough to shave more often than every other day, I am guessing it was mostly stubble in there anyway, but still . . .

How hard is it to maintain your gear? :001_rolle
I can still see my dad cleaning his electric razor with that tiny brush and then blowing the whiskers out. He always had a 5 o'clock shadow no matter what time of day it was.

I can certainly understand someone who would be concerned about a brush building up bacteria or mold. Theres certainly been a few threads of people who reknotted their brush only to find mild inside the knot.
Even still, the OP's dad's razor is pretty gross. Im pretty anal about keeping my razors clean. Even with the electric that Im using now, I rinse it out after ever use and oil it once a week. With my DEs, I rinsed them and gave them a quick dunk in alcohol after ever use and gave them a good scrubdown with a toothbrush every time I changed the blade.

It’s not enough to run water over a cartridge after each shave, you have to knock the crap out of it (quite literally) by hitting the razor against the sink while making sure that the impact is on the plastic frame
bottom and not on the blades. Rinse, tap, tap, tap, rinse, tap, tap, tap, rinse...

The amount of stuff I would dislodge out of there every morning was amazing. And I shave every day.

One of the great things about DE is that I can just rinse the razor with blade in it daily and give the razor a thorough cleaning once a week.

Never used a razor like the one pictured, but I have used disposables with multi blades. I found them impossible to clean. I tried an old toothbrush w/o success.
In my Trac II/Mach 3 days, I would keep a toothpick and pocketknife handy in the shave-atorium. If you whittle the end of the toothpick thin, you can get it between the blades without shaving the toothpick. I would have to de-clog the thing several times while shaving. Nuisance? Certainly. But better than having to use three or four cartridges each shave because I couldn't develop enough hydrostatic pressure by swishing in the sink to flush the thing without dousing the entire bathroom. I've never used any, but I suspect the four-, five-, and six-blade arrangements are spaced too thin for the toothpick trick. Water Pik might work. Or a pressure-washer. Or a fire-hose, maybe.

Yes, it's a good reminder for all of us that we did good by staying away from those cartridges!
Seriously, they have nothing good going for them.
The Leading Brand claims their product is "The Best A Man Can Get." Oh, those poor souls who don't recognize the slogan as sarcasm!

The Leading Brand claims their product is "The Best A Man Can Get." Oh, those poor souls who don't recognize the slogan as sarcasm!
It's 'cos no one bothers to read the sub-title-
"Gillette; The best a man can get
(in a gas station in the middle of nowhere at 4am)"

In my Trac II/Mach 3 days, I would keep a toothpick and pocketknife handy in the shave-atorium. If you whittle the end of the toothpick thin, you can get it between the blades without shaving the toothpick. I would have to de-clog the thing several times while shaving. Nuisance? Certainly. But better than having to use three or four cartridges each shave because I couldn't develop enough hydrostatic pressure by swishing in the sink to flush the thing without dousing the entire bathroom. I've never used any, but I suspect the four-, five-, and six-blade arrangements are spaced too thin for the toothpick trick. Water Pik might work. Or a pressure-washer. Or a fire-hose, maybe.
LOL!!:a14:

So, I've been trying to convert my dad to traditional shaving for quite some time now.
I think he has some bad memories from when he first started shaving back in the 70s and used traditional tools.
He keeps saying that using a brush is gross and that they are full of germs.
I just went to his bathroom and found his razor full of leftover hair, gel, and some rust.
It's kinda funny.. His razor is the epitome of disgusting IMHO, but he thinks a brush is worse.
View attachment 962830

I still shave with a cartridge razor occasionally...and my razor looks nothing like your dads.

When the handle of my Mach3 started to look a like it had seen better days (after many years of use) I just purchased a new razor.

I don't think that the razor you pictured above is "normal". Perhaps your dad is right though...if his razor looks like that, imagine how disgusting his brush would look.

Top Bottom