What's new

Most Frustrating Double Edge Razor

This has probably been done before but when I look back at the DE's lying fallow in the furrow the Pils has a special place. Because it was my most costly razor, I tried over the years to get a decent shave from it. I'd shave for a week and set it down and come back to it later. I never mastered the technique needed to make it effective. Never fed the Pils ultra-sharp blades for fear of the hara-kiri effect and mostly stuck with Russian Yellows (a personal fave).

I don't know how a Pils may have worked for you guys but I never hear about nor see them "on the market". Does anybody rotate a Pils?

I use a Pils once in a while, maybe going through one blade every couple of years. It is not my favorite by any means. It is a decent razor that gives an "ok" shave. I use 7 o'clock yellows or Iridiums in it to okay effect. There are many razors that do a better job.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I rotate my pils regularly and still like it very much.
Due to design factors, its blades hardly bend and can be said to be flat ; therefore, a very shallow angle must be maintained to achieve its highest shaving efficiency.
Because of the above reasons, the shaving feel of pils is very different from other razors, so you must use it frequently to maintain the operating habits. If the rotation period is too long, you will never be able to adapt to it.
I have to use it continuously for at least 30 days each time before I can switch to another razor.
I remember someone at B&B once said "pils are jealous razors"
Indeed, "she" obviously wants the owner to devote more attention to herself.

True shaving wisdom. I'm a SE guy now but cranked it up a few days ago to see if I could find the best angle. I like the Hammer of Thor look but it's apparently not for everyone. I didn't see it on the Pils website the other day.

I am going to add just a blt more to this discussion.
For the life if me I do not understand why people get frustrated with the Pils razor. After about the first couple of short strokes it was pretty intuitive for me.
I have an affinity for this style of razor, and have owned several similar razors in the past, including the ikon modern, the original Tradere gen 2 sb, the original brass ikon sbs, the ikon s3s, and the aluminum ikon sbs, in addition to the Pils. They were all pretty good shavers.

The Pils is admittedly head heavy, and I wish it had a thicker handle, but other than that it is wonderful. Aggression is just about right for me. It could be used every day without irritation, but it also has no problem mowing down a few days' growth. It's a keeper. It is not really meant for steep angle shaving. If you are a steep angle shaver or really enjoy extremely aggressive razors, or really light razors, the Pils is not for you.

At the risk of sounding like an imbecile, what's a pils?

Take your pick...

1610881688416.png

1610881729647.png

Top Bottom