What's new

Most forgiving razor blades

Even feathers are silky smooth if you treat them right. And all blades will bite if not handled correctly. They are razors not cotton balls.

I've found that Derbys and Super Crystals are very forgiving. Astras are not bad, but are definitely a notch up from the previous two. Cut myself quite a few times on an Astra honing my technique.

SchickSchick Plus Platinum , if you can find em , made in England Wilkinson Sword , and Astra SP .

Last edited:
At its sharpness Polsilver SIs have surprised me. There have been many instances where I've known (and previously have had) a Lab Blue, Med Prep, feather, or a 7 o'clock yellow would have given me a pretty good nick where the Polsilver hasn't.

New production Gillette platinums aren't as sharp as SIs but fairly forgiving. I have a hard time telling them from silver blues except for blade life. I've debated hoarding these.

I like personna reds over sharks. Haven't had issues with either being unforgiving but the personna is a tad sharper which makes it much less tuggy for me.

Astras don't last long enough for me to get into, I can only get 3-4 good shaves from one and the personality can change a bit with each progressive shave. They are 90% of what a polsilver is to me, except for blade life.

Perfect case of YMMV, IMO. Some guys have shoe leather skin on their face others have saran wrap. Compound that with varying razors and varying razor blades and you have an endless number of permutations. That, to me, makes this a very difficult question to answer. Some guys swear by Derby, others condemn them, so on and so forth.

To me, Derbys are not forgiving at all whereas the Personna Reds are. The lab blues will depend on the day. I haven't tried Astra SPs at all yet. I tried the SS a few times and am not a fan. I'm still searching for that butter smoothness myself but the Reds have treated me the kindest thus far.

Edit: I thought I would add - It's not hard now to see why there are still so many manufacturers in business making all sorts of different blades. Better for all of us :)

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Another vote for Voskhod (my 'go-to' blade)! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]"Dа...Время от времени, лезвие может быть между фокусами и изумление". Aнонимный (Translation...“Yes...at times, a razor blade can be between gimmickry and amazement". Anonymous[/FONT]

PS Did you know that Voskhod means 'sunrise'
proxy.php
in Russian
proxy.php

Last edited:
Glad I stumbled upon this thread because as a result of some of the posts here, I've got some Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blues, and Polsilver SI's on the way! Looking forward to trying them out. I'll surely be giving some away (+a few other brands) as a variety sampler PIF sometime in the new year as a thanks to this awesome community!

I really love Derby blades. In my humble opinion and experience, they are not only forgiving, but consistently last about six shaves. The shaves they provide compared to Shark and Wilkinson Sword (Black) blades are smoother, more comfortable, and always have far less irritation.

Is my wife forgiving towards me? What a silly answer it would be if I said, "She's very forgiving as long as I treat her right to begin with." You can tell your wife is forgiving only when you do wrong by her, for only then do you have need of forgivenes.

What razor blades are most forgiving? What a silly answer it is to say, "All blades are forgiving of you treat them right." You can tell a razor blade is forgiving only when you let your technique slide, or screw up, or are just learning to shave; for only then does your shave have need of forgiveness.

Now, having said that, what blades have been slow to fight back when I've mistreated them? Well, definitely Voskhod. Even when I was first learning, my poor technique was met with grace and kindness by Voskhod. A little sharper and nearly as forgiving: Gillette Russian green box. Even sharper and two ticks less forgiving: Astra SP or SS. Sharp but not forgiving: Polsilver and Treet DuraSharp. Not sharp yet somehow also not forgiving: not sure yet, but I'm trying a Sharp DuraBlade tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

I also like the DuraSharp, but I've gotten bit a few times by them so, to me, they're not forgiving. More forgiving than some, I suppose, but not at the top of my list.

Top Bottom