What's new

Most Essential Accessory?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Alum block and another vote for the Styptic Pencil. Anything that stems the flow of blood.

I am referring to an... accessory to your mirror, like this:

proxy.php

A little Al Green or Ottis playing in the background never hurt either.

Truley one of life’s most blessed indulgences; a post-shower relaxing evening shave with some great musical accompaniment. An unrushed approach turns routine into absolute pleasure.

Aside from the standard razor, brush, and soap; what do you think is the most important shave accessory to have? Or what is your favorite accessory that isn’t necessarily important, but makes your experience more enjoyable?

I just acquired a very nice brush/razor/bowl stand that I think looks great on my counter and makes me enjoy my new hobby even more. Just curious what everyone else is into!

A stopwatch and a scale that weighs in grams.

Styptic pencils are always a must have accessory regardless if you’re a rookie or a long time wet shaver. I keep a stockpile of them in my den. The best place to buy styptic pencils is Walmart; a jumbo stick sells for $1.28 a stick at Walmart compared to $4 at your local drugstore.

I use a whistling tea pot to boil water to add to the water in the sink bowl to raise the temperature to just so.

Alum

It does so much!

Not only does it condition your skin post shave,
it closes minor nicks and weepers,
it has antimicrobial properties, helping stave off infection,
it helps stave off razor burn,
it tells you where your technique was sloppy or overly aggressive,
it helps grip the razor without slipping,
it helps grit the skin for stretching without fear of slipping at the wrong moment,
it even makes an effective deodorant.

I am sure there's additional uses / benefits I've forgotten to mentions. All in all, it is probably the most versatile tool in a shaver's dopp kit!

Witch Hazel. eliminates the need for a styptic pencil or alum block, and the Thayer's rose water scent is heavenly.
THIS. I started off using aftershaves and lotions, but high alcohol aftershaves tend to dry out my skin and lotions feel too greasy. Simple Thayers cucumber or original scent are super refreshing and soothing.

Top Bottom