What's new

Most common issue during shaving?

What is the most irritating problem you experience which you still cannot put behind you? Is it your gear? Your environment? Your technique?
How long have you tried?

For me, it is time. On rare occasions, I have to rush which leaves me with an irritated neck for several hours. OTOH, when I prep properly (spend a couple of minutes working the soap in the stubble), I never have any issues.

For me it's consistently nicking a certain spot on my neck. The hair grows in a swirl so I'm always going XTG no matter which way I go. I have to pay super close attention to technique in that area, but more often than not I'm pulling out the styptic anyway.

I’d like my beard to grow faster so that I have more to shave off each day. I often skip days because of that. And I don’t like the fact that my face is too sensitive to maintain a daily shaving regimen for any real length of time.

Getting a 99% perfect face shave took me a fair amount of patience and ~ 2 years, but that's now a cracked problem.

On the other hand, getting a 99% perfect neck shave is proving tougher to crack than cold fusion. I'm ready to settle for a plausible DFS there.

What is the most irritating problem you experience which you still cannot put behind you? Is it your gear? Your environment? Your technique?
How long have you tried?

For me, it is time. On rare occasions, I have to rush which leaves me with an irritated neck for several hours. OTOH, when I prep properly (spend a couple of minutes working the soap in the stubble), I never have any issues.
I’ve learned to skip the shave if I’m in a rush. I don’t get a close shave, or I irritate my neck every time. It tells me my technique is good, but isn’t ingrained into my muscle memory…yet.

Oh L forgot, Wish my wife would stop reaching under the sink to get cleaning supplies while I'm sshaving
Move the supplies. I moved them over to her sink and moved the towels under mine. Now all I do is make sure she has a clean wash cloth and clean hand towel before I start.

Repeatedly reopening the same micro nick every shave because I refuse to give my skin a break by skipping a day.
Eben, I put a dab of leftover 'Aquaphor' on any scabs. I used this product on the sutures on my right ear following removal of a melanoma cancer in February. This anti-septic ointment is thick and protects my scabs till they heal.

I think for me is not being satisfied with the soaps and aftershaves/balms I have, wanting to own the next latest and greatest scent. Being financially limited, this is hard to do (and probably impractical even if I wasn't). I then get soap envy reading the threads in this and similar forums. :lol1:

As for the actual act of shaving, the most common issue I have is shaving the back of my head. There are some spots that no matter which direction I shave them, it takes many passes (6-8) to fully get them to the BBS state that I like. This, especially if I get a little impatient, can lead to some irritation. It also extends my shave time. The latter isn't much of an issue for me, but annoys everyone else in my household.

Top Bottom