What's new

Most comfortable pen

I did this with a G2 of mine several months ago. I found that while it is an improvement, the improvement is pretty minor. G2 rollerballs are very good pens to begin with. My suggestion would be to perform this 'hack' once the original refill that came with the pen has already run dry. That being said, I also wouldn't consider the improvement it made for me to be worth the very high price of Mont Blanc rollerball carts. If anybody still really wants to give this a go, I have a new MB refill that somebody can have.

medium black ???

I will take it...

neat idea, but it still looks like a G2 pen.........just sayin'

it is better to lose a hacked g2 than a $200 mb....

what it gets down to me is....the cartridge is what you write with...who cares what it is wrapped in...really if i could find a guy to lathe me out a thicker wooden pen that a mont blanc refill would work in, I would be tickled pink....:thumbup1:

how long are the MB refills & how thick a pen do you want..........? I can do that! :thumbup:

it is better to lose a hacked g2 than a $200 mb....

what it gets down to me is....the cartridge is what you write with...who cares what it is wrapped in...really if i could find a guy to lathe me out a thicker wooden pen that a mont blanc refill would work in, I would be tickled pink....:thumbup1:

buy the nice G-2 pen and do this hack.....and now you will have a Mont Blac for abotu $15 or %20 bucks....all available at office max...and I love mine...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoHDhlY4rxs[/YOUTUBE]

This hack completely misses the point. If anything, the G2 refill is SUPERIOR to th Mont Blanc. People love MB pens because of their EXTERIOR, not their guts. It would make way more sense to hack a Pilot's GUTS in order to put it into a MB's EXTERIOR.

how long are the MB refills & how thick a pen do you want..........? I can do that! :thumbup:

full

Right now I am using a signo 207 that is 1/2" and it is comfortable...i would like something bigger than that...maybe up to but not over 3/4...

Last edited by a moderator:
...really if i could find a guy to lathe me out a thicker wooden pen that a mont blanc refill would work in, I would be tickled pink....:thumbup1:

Lots of guys can do this. Rudy Vey on this board can probably do it, for example.

there are also people who can make you a nice resin pen in any style or color you want that will fit that refill, although these people are harder to find.

This hack completely misses the point. If anything, the G2 refill is SUPERIOR to th Mont Blanc. People love MB pens because of their EXTERIOR, not their guts. It would make way more sense to hack a Pilot's GUTS in order to put it into a MB's EXTERIOR.

What he said...

I have to agree. The MB was not any improvement to me. I use a modded G2 Limited with the silicon sleeve from a Dr. Grip pen. Has a little heft and nice grip.
Mike

The MB refill and exterior are matched to each other - of course the exteriors are sought after. The refill is still great to write with, makes total sense to me that people take out the Pilot refill and replace it with the MB one. The reverse hack - why would you put a Pilot in a $200+ exterior, the MB refill is quite good.

This hack provides those who want to use the MB refill an opportunity to do so without having to buy the exterior.

As suggested by another poster, the Lamy Safari is a nice pen to write with and comes in at under $40.

- Aaron

The reverse hack - why would you put a Pilot in a $200+ exterior, the MB refill is quite good.

The Pilot refills cost between $2 and $4 for a 2-pack where the MB refills cost $12 to $15. It has been my experience that Mont Blanc rollerball carts tend to dry out quickly. I have left a couple of them unused for a couple months and then I can't get them to write. Pilot carts tend to start right up, as they have gel ink. It has also been my experience that while the MB carts are a tad smoother, they can be a little more scratchy as well. Pilot makes rollerball and ballpoint pens that get up there in price just as Mont Blanc does.

You might try the Zebra F-701. Same ink cartridge as the F-301. But the barrel is all metal and a bit wider; easier on the hand.

Top Bottom