What's new

Most comfortable pen

Stop looking for the pen and start looking at the writer. It's not the pen giving you cramps. It's you; your writing style, your grip, everything. You're not used to writing as much as you do, so up until now you've dealt with it. You are likely gripping too tightly and writing too hard (too much pressure).

Personally, I took a handwriting lesson (very affordable) and it taught me so much! How I hold the paper, my arm, my hand. All these were contributive of cramping. I also picked up a few other tricks to alleviate the cramping whilst writing. I suggest looking into that. As pens can be very subjective you'll be buying a box full of pens and still have all the same problems.

If you'd like information on a lesson, shoot me a PM and I can give you the contact information. If not, that's okay too.

I'd recommend a Pilot G2. I'm left-handed, and after getting used to them, I really like them--even when writing on glossy paper. You just have to be a bit more careful then because they take longer to dry.

And Rick is right that the way you hold yourself contributes to cramping. I've found that relaxing my wrist and writing at a not-breakneck speed really helps, even in lectures. I can't use a "tripod" grip because it's always been extremely awkward to me, but loosening up your hold on your writing instrument and holding it farther back helps. (Thankfully, people care less about how utensils and things are held now.)

I carry a couple of those rite in the rain pens, 1 black ink, 1 red ink and a pencil. Mostly I write in pencil. As a First Sergeant I'm not sure who is telling you they want reports written because I prefer most reports that are turned into me typed and cac signed, but hey thats me. On my desk I have a retro 51 that is a dream to write with.

I'd check out Fisher Space Pens if you're out in the elements... not only will they write on wet paper, but in extreme cold as well (not to mention over grease, upside down, and in Zero G). I like them because I'm an aviation/space buff, but they have their practical applications too.

I carry a chrome Cap-O-Matic (M4C) or gold Cap-O-Matic Slim (M5G) depending on what watch I'm wearing. These can be had for around $10 each but are still classy with decent mechanisms. My next will be a Gold Grid Shuttle (G4), Black Grid Shuttle (B4), or Original Astronaut (AG7)... I'm leaning towards the Gold Grid Shuttle because of the texture and having mechanism similar to the Original Astronaut at a lower price.

i am a lefty as well....I make pens, and I buy pens. one of the nicer pens I have purchased is:

Retro 51 Tornado - (Curacao BSR1345). great colour, nice balance, good price point too.....

Tim

Last edited:
The Bic Stick Classic Crystal is probably one of the greatest ball points of all times. Great writer with perfect size.

proxy.php

My suggestion would be a Retro 51 Tornado. Great writing roller ball. Sturdy and cheap! Normally about $25.00 Good looking pen too.

proxy.php

After using a quality pen, a BIC feels like writing on sandpaper!

H

HSN

Personally i think that the Schneider Visco-Glide pens are the best pens you could get. There's literally no friction when writing and it's a very comfortable pen! I often struggled with uncomfortable pens and even got blisters and cramps but this pen rocks!!
Check this review here for more infos:
http://hubpages.com/hub/best-writing-pen

greetz HSN

I use a Pilot/Namiki Ageless Future Gel: http://www.montgomerypens.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=6024

It has great balance and is just thick enough to be comfortable for lots of writing. There are two small issues though: it takes G2 short refills (the G2 minis are too short), which are hard to find, even online. Second, I have found the paint scratches and chips more easily than I'd like for a $50 pen.

You could also try the Ageless Present Gel, which is plastic instead of metal, but just as nice. I have one of those in plain ballpoint, so I'm speaking from experience on both pens.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
First Recommendation: Caran d'Ache 849 Original Metal Ballpoint

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1CDi6hc6UpQ/TGaqb10wsfI/AAAAAAAABRo/zGjFh5zWXOc/s1600/caran849orange.jpg
I have this one in this color.

The Goliath refill lasts for ages. If you order a spare with your pen, you will not have to get more ink for years. I use my pen daily, and have not exhausted a refill yet.

Second Recommendation: Any Cross ballpoint. The Cross refills are the standard of the ballpoint world. You can get them in any point and color you wish. They are available widely.

Also, I picked the Caran d'Ache flor orange, as it is a bit unusual in brand and color. It would be hard to miss if someone "accidentally" ended up with my pen. I don't leave it behind easily either. It is slim enough to fit into any pen pocket.

Is this pen worth the $20 + $6 for the blue refill? (i don't like black ink)

I'd recommend a Pilot G2. I'm left-handed, and after getting used to them, I really like them--even when writing on glossy paper. You just have to be a bit more careful then because they take longer to dry.

A-freaking-men. Discovered the G2s during third year, never pick up anything else. Smooth, dark, comfortable and last half of forever.

buy the nice G-2 pen and do this hack.....and now you will have a Mont Blac for abotu $15 or %20 bucks....all available at office max...and I love mine...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoHDhlY4rxs[/YOUTUBE]

Stop looking for the pen and start looking at the writer. It's not the pen giving you cramps. It's you; your writing style, your grip, everything. You're not used to writing as much as you do, so up until now you've dealt with it. You are likely gripping too tightly and writing too hard (too much pressure).

Personally, I took a handwriting lesson (very affordable) and it taught me so much! How I hold the paper, my arm, my hand. All these were contributive of cramping. I also picked up a few other tricks to alleviate the cramping whilst writing. I suggest looking into that. As pens can be very subjective you'll be buying a box full of pens and still have all the same problems.

If you'd like information on a lesson, shoot me a PM and I can give you the contact information. If not, that's okay too.

I agree with you about the way we write. Writing is an arm movement, not a finger or wrist movement...I learned how to "letter" with my fathers Speedball Pens and books. The first thing they teach you is proper technique.

This is something that is not taught in school anymore....

buy the nice G-2 pen and do this hack.....and now you will have a Mont Blac for abotu $15 or %20 bucks....all available at office max...and I love mine...

I did this with a G2 of mine several months ago. I found that while it is an improvement, the improvement is pretty minor. G2 rollerballs are very good pens to begin with. My suggestion would be to perform this 'hack' once the original refill that came with the pen has already run dry. That being said, I also wouldn't consider the improvement it made for me to be worth the very high price of Mont Blanc rollerball carts. If anybody still really wants to give this a go, I have a new MB refill that somebody can have.

Top Bottom