What's new

Most comfortable edge you can get on a budget?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The CrOx didn't stick well to the cotton lol. The blade is honed fresh and stropped to try again soon however.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The CrOx didn't stick well to the cotton lol. The blade is honed fresh and stropped to try again soon however.
A small amount of the Chrox shavings suspended in Mineral Oil should work better for the cotton application.

Tonight I'm going to re-hone with the 4K-8K and the CNAT, then dry my Norton and wrap a cut piece of old 100% cotton t shirt around it and CrOx it with some of the crayon type I have. See if that gets it gozing comfortably. I used to use a balsa that got lost in a move and have been trying to hone on just stones since then but maybe a finish on this will get me where I want to go without spending anything more.
That was my first set up. Was ok for the price. Balsa for the CrOx will prevent premature rounding off of your edge, which you'll get over time if you use CrOx'ed fabric or a strop. Somebody else suggested the mineral oil suspension, use that for application.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Try diamond on lapped balsa. Beats the pants off of CrOx. Doesn't cost much more since you only use a couple BBs worth every month or so, for each grit you use.

Hello again!

So I tried the diamond balsa out. Ted Pella .5 followed by 100 laps on the .1. Ended up MUCH too aggressive for my skin. Backed up to the .5 again, feels better on my skin now. I will need to give my skin a rest after the work I did with the .1 edge and try a whole shave with the .5 Diamond Balsa paste again. I only did a touch up with it. The touch up felt very similar to CrOx, however.

Top Bottom