What's new

Most comfortable blades

You really need to try blades for yourself as this is the most YMMV aspect of DE shaving. In addition, my blade choice depends on the razor. That said, my current top tier (in no particular order):
Personna red
Personna lab
Astra SP
Nacet
GSB

+1 on all the advice you've received about sampling many blades for yourself. Some of my favorite smoothies include Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russian Greens,) Wilkinson Sword Classic (German,) Personna Israeli Red, and Gillette Silver Blue.

You can go crazy trying out blades. I have 71 different ones listed on my Shaving Buddy app, and have tried most of them. Haven't experimented much since I bought 100 Zorrik Super Platinum.
The suggestions on blade samplers is a great way to go. Also Try A Blade or Razor Blade Club is a way to sample blades.
The other thing to remember is the Great Blade Exchange. The reason I've tried so many different blades is because I could always make trades with the GBE for blades that I didn't like. Have found that YMMV allows you to trade what you don't like for something else to try out, and for the GBE to stock up something someone else might like to try.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

With poor technique choose a less sharp blade for a more comfortable shave as it'll be a bit more forgiving. With very good technique even the sharpest blades become exceptionally smooth.

Some blades do work better in some razors than they do in others do so there's that to consider as well.

I have only used 3 blades more than a week. But so far I know that Gillette Platinum are really nice (just the price is a bit above average) and I really like them.

I've tried any number of blades in various razors and prefer comfortable over sharp. The only blades I use anymore are Astra SP and the, slightly milder, Red Personna (both the UK 10 pack and the US 5 pack in red box). I must have 250 Astra and 500 IP red, so I'm set for a very long time.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am wondering, with all your experience with DE shaving, what blade you would consider to be the most comfortable how there. Being fairly new to DE shaving, I've only tried Astra SP and Feather. The Feather blades are pretty sharp but not that comfortable and the Astra are a little more comfortable/irritation free in my opinion. But I'd like to know your take on that as my skin, specifically the neck area, is prone to irritation and I'd like to try new blades!

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

Personna lab blues always feel very sharp and smooth for me. Lots of other good choices for sure, but if you haven’t tried the lab blues, do yourself a favor and order 100!

Blades are too much an YMMV item for certain recommendations. For me the most comfortable blades I've tried are GSB, Shark stainless, Sputnick and asco orange (and I've tried a lot of blades). I generally do better with a less sharp blade - yet I'm absolutely fine using feathers.

Mildest blades I have used so far that are still good quality are the Turkish made Lord blades, which are different from the more well known Egyptian Lord brand. I think The Superior Shave is the only place to carry them in the US. They are definitely worth a try if you want a good mild shave.

I find that Gillette Silver Blues are comparable to Astra SPs, but they cost twice as much, so I don't bother with them any more.
Either brand, use them at least 5-10 times before they're comfortably "broken in".

Top Bottom