What's new

Most Collectible Straight Razors

I would like to start a straight razor collection and I am curious to know what the most desirable straight razors are for collectors. The large bladed (8/8+) Wade & Butcher straights seem to be very collectible and the C.V. Heljestrand MK 134 is another that seems very desirable. What other high quality straight razors are popular with collectors and why are they so in demand.

Thanks

I think most of us collect the straights that we enjoy using to shave. Although many would love a big W&B chopper, I would likely pass a free one along to the next guy. And those big MKs are nice, but I prefer the 31s and 32s, which are also highly collectible. I'll take a 12 or 13 over a 14, although the Fili #14 is a highly collectible razor.

Filarmonica, Dubble Duck, Wostenholme, Fredrick Rodgers, Dorko, Theirs Issard and many others. What you have to keep in mind is up until just before WW1, everyone in the world shaved with a straight razor. Their were millions and millions of them produced by huge factories over the years, so razors in general are not very rare. As far as collect-ability is concerned, condition is everything. NOS/pristine Ducks, Dorkos etc. can command some bucks, but excess hone wear or any kind of breakage renders them anywhere from junk to 'restorable' and dollar values are very small.

I had a Wade & Butcher in exceptionally good shape. Near wedge, I did not really like it. Put it on the market. Couldn't hardly get rid of it. Go figure.....

Big choppers, elliots with strange, transitional grinds, stubtails, interchangeable blade sets from sheffield and france, the 8/8 duck, grim reaper, blades with elaborate mop scales, etc... 14 blades are super common but awesome nonetheless. The big thing with old sheffields is getting the original grinds. So many of them have been messed with and there are some flippers around right now regrinding everything like fools.

Western style Iwasaki razors the ultimate and the price of those razors just keep climbing, they were obviously made in very small numbers compared to all the above mentioned razors so much more dufficult to find.

Thank you for all the information guys. Those big choppers look very impressive, but I've never shaved with anything larger than a 6/8" and I'm not sure how I would like them - I want a collection of razors that I actually enjoy using.

Thank you again for the info.... where else can you find such a nice group of enablers?

Congrat's!
You're definitely on a really slippery slope!
Enjoy!

thiers issard feston collection array november 16 2015.jpg

How about collect razors that appeal to you...just a thought as others have said value is really subjective. I have some very old and rare razors in the late 1700 to very early 1800's probably worth big $ but its more about how much i like the way they shave. I have some modern customs, again worth mucho bucks but who cares they shave awesome and look even better...i also have very cheap odd balls that caught my fancy and shave great....

Enjoy what you like the look and shave of... ☺

I'm on the hunt to have a razor from every country I can find one. Basically I've acquired a razor and find another of better reputation then it becomes my keeper. So far the only English I'm keeping is a George plum. Looks like it was honed only a couple of times at most. Hand sanded and put transparent yellowish horns on it. For me I want old and hard to find. So far I'm finding daily shaver is German or American. Maybe because they hone easier for me. Definitely have to be a shaver for me to keep

Legion

Staff member
I like really old ones, early stub tails. Not to shave with, but I just think they are cool to have.

I collect razors from the various barber supplies and hardware stores that were stamped with the name of my home town.

Really whatever strikes your fancy. I like swedes and sheffield razors myself but many people are partial to the french, spanish, and german variety

Just for fun and to have one from every country,I scored a Pakistani for 2 bucks. Guess we all have to have a worst and a best in our collection.

Top Bottom