What's new

Most beneficial upgrade?

Would add a couple of cotton balls and map the growth of your beard if you haven't already. This will add so much understanding to why you are getting irritation/stubble in the wrong places when you are shaving. Some books/websearching on how blades work also would not be a bad idea. Knives with different angles do different things in different ways, and razor blades have different materials and shapes for a reason, figuring out what sort of angle/materials work for you can help you select another blade that is similar, though it might not be needed if you stick with the slant. It equalizes a lot of that by keeping the edge pinned and more rigid. Beyond that, I would ask, what do you want out of the shave/what are you having issues with?

Oh and the blades that you don't like shaving with (for me it was Dorco/Derby), turf those to your first aid kit.

and if you are buying vintage (used razors, a jug of barbicide!)

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the advice guys! This is truly one of the miss informative and helpful forums I've seen!

that being said, I placed a couple orders and should have some stuff coming that will fulfill some of your recommendations. I've got a Merkur 37c, Prosaso red and greed, Maggards babershop soap, RozoRock Don Marco Bergamont Neroli soap, D.R. Harris Arlington AS, Seomgue 620 & 830, a Maggards 24mm Synthetic brush, Maggards alum, and Fine lather bowl all one the way to me this week and I'm still waiting on a bunch of samples from The Shave Den.Needless to say I went a bit nuts a Maggards, lol, but I'm very anxious to try all of it!!

On top of all that, I got a very generous offer on a SE razor from a fellow Missourian so I'll be giving those a shot soon as well!

Thanks again for all the useful advice. I'll keep y'all posted on how it all works out for me and thanks for the new addiction! Lol

Based on my 16-month journey, I would suggest a FaTip or Muhle R41 razor. Both are a bit more aggressive than your current options but, in my experience, not over the top. I would also pick up some Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer. I greatly regret not using aftershave until I was 58 years old. To me, the splash is the best part of the shave.

I didn't think the SS was all that and a bag of chips but they are easy to find and fun. Someone suggested a Merkur 39C (slant) and someone else said MWF, those are my two and I can't decide which one of them makes the most difference. OTOH, that Goodwill I got is one of my favorites of late so ... YMWV.

An alum block was my first thought, but I see you've already gone for that.

Second would be shave sticks. Arko is dirt cheap, lathers easily, and performs quite well. La Toja is right up there with it, with a very different fragrance. Palmolive is a classic whose scent pairs well with Proraso green. All three of those produce sightly different lathers.

Third, but only if you like the scratchiness of boar brushes, is a horse-hair brush. The boars will soften up over time.

Lastly, blades. I actually think you've got some great ones in that picture and highly recommend giving the Gillette green and Feather some time. Do realize that they're on the sharp side of the spectrum and require great care in the beginning. But some other decent blades to try that are cheaper than those are Astra (either SS or SP) and Ladas. Astra will last longer, but Ladas will shave better for the few shaves you'll get out of them.

Alum Block and/or styptic.
Clearly missing, but very important (Especially if you jump into a more aggressive razor) If that doesn't fit the bill, you can't go wrong with more soaps, or more aftershave balms (or at least ahve one if you primarily use splash vs balm.

Well most bang for your buck I would say something you haven't tried yet.
A slant merkur, since you like Merkur it seems, an Omega synthetic for traveling and just ease of use not having to soak, an adjustable (would say slim for price but the progress is very nice too.... slim will last forever and brass)
As far as the razor goes, if you don't like it it won't be hard to resell as long as you don't pay too much for it lol... shop a bit.
Not really sure. I love all the stuff I picked up along the way, but my synthetics seem to be the most used now because I change razors all the time.
There's really no wrong answer.
If you're like 93% of us what you don't get bow, you'll get later.
But the synthetic will be the cheapest. Omega s brush is about $10.

Thanks again for all the advice guys! This is truly one of the miss informative and helpful forums I've seen!

that being said, I placed a couple orders and should have some stuff coming that will fulfill some of your recommendations. I've got a Merkur 37c, Prosaso red and greed, Maggards babershop soap, RozoRock Don Marco Bergamont Neroli soap, D.R. Harris Arlington AS, Seomgue 620 & 830, a Maggards 24mm Synthetic brush, Maggards alum, and Fine lather bowl all one the way to me this week and I'm still waiting on a bunch of samples from The Shave Den.Needless to say I went a bit nuts a Maggards, lol, but I'm very anxious to try all of it!!

On top of all that, I got a very generous offer on a SE razor from a fellow Missourian so I'll be giving those a shot soon as well!

Thanks again for all the useful advice. I'll keep y'all posted on how it all works out for me and thanks for the new addiction! Lol

Great choices!!!
I literally have everything that you just purchased besides the B&M.
The fine bowl is great!!
You'll love the proraso, especially the green. You can also superlather that with another soap so it has menthol in it!!!
All very good choices. I think you'll like the 37c. Only piece of advice with it is the break any habit you have of aligning your strokes with the head, and align them with the handle or you'll defeat te slant design. It's supposed to be slanted compared to the direction to your stroke. Took me a couple shave to do that but when I used the handle the scythe action really makes a difference!!!
I.E. the direction the bottom of your handle is is the direction of your stroke. Sounds dumb but you'll see what I mean when you use it. It looks angry but it's a really great razor, as long as you respect it. :)
Welcome to your first tumble down the rabbit hole!!!
Be sure to let us know how you like your new stuff!!!

Last edited:
Well I see I'm not the only one to say this. But vintage items should be in every shavers den. I use both vintage razors as well as vintage brushes (restored of course)

Well, I had a chance to use/play with some of the new stuff last night.

Razor: the 53 Superspeed was..., ok. I got a couple small weepers, but no irritation and a DFS. I was using a feather blade, but that's been my go to blade with the 34c

Brush: played with both Semogues. They both performed exceptionally and had none of the terrible odor that my Omega boar had. Love these so far!

Soap: I used the Razorock Don Marco Bergamont Neroli. The soap performed wonderfully, lathered easily, great slickness, and after shave feel was fantastic. However, I'm not a big fan of the scent. It wasn't horrible, but it almost reminded me of orange sherbet, which I hate. I think I'm just more of a natural/woodsy scent kind of guy.

Aftershave: The D.R. Harris Arlington was meh. My wife didn't care for the scent and I found it to be boring.

Alum block: how have I not used one of these before?? I ran it under cold water and it felt amazing on my skin and took care of those weepers nicely. I will be using n alum block from here on out after every shave!

The Maggards synthetic brush was amazingly soft and had decent backbone. It also lathered well and held it good! Very glad I tried this and I look forward to using it more!

The 37c slant came in today so I haven't got a chance to use it yet, but probably will tomorrow.

Lots of good gear there. :thumbup1: Have you tried Captain's Choice AS splash yet? Lots of good flavors from which to choose.

Not yet, I'm going to pull the trigger on their soap and AS samplers pretty soon. I've heard good things about their Bay Rum and I'm anxious to try it.

Top Bottom