What's new

Most aggressive razor I've ever used

I've been wet shaving for 50 years, mostly with injectors which I prefer over DEs (although I have also used many DEs). I have shaved with almost every injector made, including a Cobra Classic (I know, I know, it's really not an injector--but might as well be). The only one I never tried was a Schick Type E, and my current favorite is a G4.

I found a very nice E2 on eBay, bought it, and it arrived two days ago. I sterilized it and checked it closely for the usual potential problems--tightness, blade alignment, etc. I could see by comparing it to my G4 that the head geometry was slightly different, with a greater blade exposure. But everything looked good.

Today I loaded it with a new Schick blade, super lathered, and took it for a test drive with a three-day beard.

Lordy! What an aggressive razor! I knew on the first stroke that it was more aggressive than anything else I had ever tried. First pass somewhere between CCS and DFS, second pass a BBS everywhere except two small spots under the jawline, which were DFS. I debated some touchup by J-hooking or blade buffing, but by then, the hair on the back of my neck was standing up, and my nerve failed me. My alum block stung a little more than with the G4, but I had no nicks, cuts, weepers, or redness, and have had no irritation since the shave.

Normally, I find injectors to be comfortable, forgiving, and very easy to use. But that E2 was like riding a rocket sled--uncomfortable and touchy. It's not a bad razor--in fact, in the hands of someone who was fearless and steadier than me, it could be a fantastic razor. But I'm a coward. I'll keep it for my collection, and maybe use it at very long intervals, but I'm going back to my G4 for regular use.

I guess I'm more like James May than the Stig.

I'm with you on this one. Maybe not the most aggressive I've ever used, but I too find the E to be a little too much razor for me. I've got a couple, but they rarely see action. Using one, you can understand why the folks at Eversharp-Schick de-tuned the later designs. By the time they got to the L, they'd probably gone too far the other way, IMO. My preference in injectors tends toward the I, but I agree that the G is very good as well.

I agree that the Is are also very good. IMO, with the Js the handles were getting a little too long for convenience. The Ls were novelty razors. The Ms were good because of the adjustable feature, but the Ns were too mild for me to get a good shave. I have an nos O, but have never shaved with it because of the collector value, although I have heard that they are pretty mild, too. But that E really intimidates me.

I've got both the E & the G. I can use both on my face no problem, but head shaving with the E is a no-no. Still less aggressive than my Gem MMOC which tore my dome up something awful

I like my e schick and use it regularly without problems, but the mmoc now thats another beast alltogether, i allways get irritation.

Hiya Steve,

As you know, I luvs my Es'!That being said, I've found for me at least(ymmv) that nos vintage blades smooth out and are to me a better choice to use in my E than a Chick. But yes the E reminds me of the effectiveness of my slant and is highly effective at whackin' whiskers. For me the end result with a light touch is always a dfs or bbs. More so than other Schicks the E just shaves me with less effort that the higher lettered razors.Give it a week and just maybe.......

Hi, Cool. Good to see you. You are certainly right about the closeness of the shave I got (I may not have to shave again for a couple of weeks :biggrin1:), and there was no damage. I always heard that the E was the most aggressive Schick, but I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be THAT aggressive. I don't have any nos blades that I'd be willing to shave with--most are really old, cruddy, carbon steel blades. Maybe I'll see if I can find some more recent ones on the 'bay and give it a try. That will give me some time to flush the adrenalin out of my system. :ohmy:

Last edited:
I believe the best injectors are the G and the I. I also agree that the E is too aggressive. But I have found a good way to tame the E is to shave with SLOW strokes.

Hi, Cool. Good to see you. You are certainly right about the closeness of the shave I got (I may not have to shave again for a couple of weeks :biggrin1:), and there was no damage. I always heard that the E was the most aggressive Schick, but I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be THAT aggressive. I don't have any nos blades that I'd be willing to shave with--most are really old, cruddy, carbon steel blades. Maybe I'll see if I can find some more recent ones on the 'bay and give it a try. That will give me some time to flush the adrenalin out of my system. :ohmy:
Good to see you also! Sometimes the E feels like a straight shave and so easy to shave with. The G is a tad milder to me but still gives a DFS. The main thing is light strokes and listen to the blade. It might just be me bout my Es' also like tallow based soap better than veg. ymmv. Anyway, Happy Holidays to you and yours!!

$il_570xN.507732382_2s1c.jpg I so like this advert.

Very good point, Steve. I too was taken aback at the quantum leap in aggressiveness between the E and the G. Usually these kind of design changes seemed to have resulted in fairly small, incremental differences in shaving quality, but the designers at Schick went for the sea change between the the E and the G.

While the G is a pretty efficient razor that demands some respect, the E, for me, is the proverbial blade on a stick. Let's anoint it the R41 of injectors.

^+1 I've never shaved with an R41, but from what I've read, it takes a real he-man to use them. I imagine that the E and the R41 might be a close match. In fact, I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of the two razors by anybody who has both.

I have both razors, and in my opinion the 2013 R41 is the more aggressive razor. I would rate the E at 7 and the R41 at 10, but as ever ymmv.

Just my 2p

I'm tempted to buy one now...

Everytime someone says something is really aggressive I throw caution to the wind and buy it. I did that with an R41, hated it, then sold it to my brother for the same price. Theres also that time I used a Futur cranked all the way up with a Feather blade, I'm probably still missing some skin from that one.

I'm tempted to buy one now...

Everytime someone says something is really aggressive I throw caution to the wind and buy it. I did that with an R41, hated it, then sold it to my brother for the same price. Theres also that time I used a Futur cranked all the way up with a Feather blade, I'm probably still missing some skin from that one.

Buy it! surprise!

Top Bottom