What's new

Most Aggressive (non-adjustable) Gillette?

Gillette is known for making razors that won't hurt you. Moreover, there is a persistent notion that each generation of Gillette razor was milder than the one before it.
So, other than the adjustables, the most aggressive Gillette should be the heaviest Old Type (i.e., the Big Fellow).
What do you think? What is the most aggressive Gillette?

The Old Type?
New Standard (aka New Improved)?
NEW Deluxe?
Aristocrat OC?
Sheraton?
Senator?
other?

Which one?
New Improved or NEW deluxe?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I would say The New Improved Completely Flat Bottom Plate one, Like this one Below. It's Def the most aggressive razor Gillette Made.

Attachments

• $Screenshot_2014-01-10-23-03-39.jpg
    $Screenshot_2014-01-10-23-03-39.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 376
The most aggressive I have tried is the Red Tip, though I believe that it is only a notch or two above the Tech in aggressiveness.
cottontop

Agreed, Old Type with the thicker head cap.

You are the first person I have heard express any opinion on the shave difference between the Old Type thin vs. the Old Type thick head. I have often wondered about the difference. Experimentation time!

I would say The New Improved Completely Flat Bottom Plate one, Like this one Below. It's Def the most aggressive razor Gillette Made.

proxy.php

I

Isn't this actually a New Deluxe, and a Big Boy as well (longer/heavier handle)?

Agreed, Old Type with the thicker head cap.
You are the first person I have heard express any opinion on the shave difference between the Old Type thin vs. the Old Type thick head. I have often wondered about the difference. Experimentation time!
The thinner is definitely more aggressive.

Alas...consensus is never easy, is it? :lol:

NEW Standard and then the NEW Deluxe 15mm. The 17mm, like the Big Boy picture above is actually very nice.

So you feel the narrower 15mm New Deluxe head is more aggressive than the 17mm New Deluxe head? ( Or maybe just less likely to be "nice", with "nice" more or less being a comfortable & smooth shaving experience.) Interesting. I've only ever tried the 15mm head myself, on a typical bar handle; but I would have thought it the other way around, just on an intuitive level. FWIW I find the New Deluxe 15mm to be less aggressive than the Old Type but still yielding a very close shave, and a very smooth one as well. Nary any irritation from either the Old Type nor the New Deluxe.

I'm unclear and a bit suspicious to be honest of what exactly different people mean when they refer to a shaver's "aggressiveness". I'm not at all sure we all mean the same thing. To my mind aggressiveness is really just another way of saying closeness - as in how close the shave is. But it seems to me that some use aggressiveness with a sense of how likely it is that you'll receive a rough shave from the razor also being attached to the definition.

IMO it's perfectly possible to get a rough shave (i.e. bumps, burn, weepers, ...) from any razor, including mild razors like an early Tech or SuperSpeed, for example. But that this is a result of poor technique and not an inherent design in the razor. For my part aggressiveness = closeness is simple enough and comes down to how long a close shave remains feeling like a close shave, or put another way, how long before the 5 o'clock shadow creeps in? :laugh:

My own experience is that while it's perfectly possible for me to get a close and comfortable shave with a mild Tech or SS, 5 or 6 hours later or so and I'm able to rub my thumb against the grain and feel the stubble starting come back. With the New DeLuxe (again, 15mm) I'de say it's probably more like 15 hours or so and the Old Type is about 20-24, I'de guess. Now that's fairly subjective of course and also includes the variable that not every shave is a perfectly close or comfortable one, but that's down to me and not the razor. Point being that, IMO at least, any (sharp) razor is likely possible of giving you either an extremely comfortable, smooth, and close shave or not; and that the results hinge on the operator much more than the tool.

I haven't tried a New Improved head yet, but I think I'de like it. But for me the Old Type yields the closest, longest lasting shave; and both the Old Type and the New Deluxe are fully capable of providing and exceptionally smooth and comfortable shave in my experience.

All right, that's me. I'll lower my shields and await the onslaught! :001_tt2:

In my experience I'd say it's easily between the New Improved and the NEW DeLuxe heads. It's a tougher call between those, but I might give a slight edge to the New Improved head.

I'm unclear and a bit suspicious to be honest of what exactly different people mean when they refer to a shaver's "aggressiveness". I'm not at all sure we all mean the same thing. To my mind aggressiveness is really just another way of saying closeness - as in how close the shave is. But it seems to me that some use aggressiveness with a sense of how likely it is that you'll receive a rough shave from the razor also being attached to the definition.

It shouldn't be either of those, and yet both. Aggressiveness refers specifically to how much a razor exposes the blade to you -- essentially how narrowly or widely it guards the blade. A more aggressive razor will expose the blade more, while a milder razor will expose it less. Whether you experience that exposure as a smooth, close shave or a rough, uncomfortable one isn't inherent to the razor, but is down to other things like your face, your mood, or your technique.

It's entirely possible for someone to consistently get a closer shave from a milder "razor X" than a more aggressive "razor Y," but that doesn't make razor X "aggressive." It just means that it's a more natural fit for them than razor Y.

Top Bottom