What's new

Moss Scuttle Notes

I love my small scuttle. I use boiling water in it and when I stuff my brush into it the brush can get so hot on the one side I cannot put it on my face. I have learned to give it a pump and swish before I re lather my mug.
Sara is IMHO a very talented artist and lovely person to boot.

I'm not sure why but I am glad Target does not sell these ..

Jim

Goosemeplease said:
I love my small scuttle. I use boiling water in it and when I stuff my brush into it the brush can get so hot on the one side I cannot put it on my face. I have learned to give it a pump and swish before I re lather my mug.
Sara is IMHO a very talented artist and lovely person to boot.

I'm not sure why but I am glad Target does not sell these ..

Jim

Well, they make great coffee mugs! I had to measure my scuttle last night to be sure it was not the small scuttle. I used it yesterday with my C&E best badger brush, and it seemed to fill up the lather bowl. Based on the measurements, I have the large, but I think an EXTRA large would be nice!

Randy

Randy
This has been said before, Sara will make one for you the size you want- just drop her a note,
Jim

rtaylor61 said:
Well, they make great coffee mugs! I had to measure my scuttle last night to be sure it was not the small scuttle. I used it yesterday with my C&E best badger brush, and it seemed to fill up the lather bowl. Based on the measurements, I have the large, but I think an EXTRA large would be nice!

Randy

I agree, my large Scuttle [brown] is just not large enough for my maddening way of stirring and pumping. I just cannot achieve the volume of lather I get with my extra large coffee/soup mug. I guess you could say..."My Scuttle Runneth Over!" :w00t:

I love the concept, but I need more room to be efficient with it. Then maybe I am an 'overachiever' when it comes to making lather; cause in my opinion a little dab won't do ya! I make enough for me and my neighbors every morning. Just a part of the sensory overload of luxury shaving. :cool:

I am using a Shavemac 22579 Silvertip most days; however, I have tried my C&E Best Badger and it's not quite as messy but I still don't have 'enough' lather for the neighborhood! I have used it maybe 10 times and each time I think more about trading it. For what, I don't know! :confused:

Ron,

I only use the scuttle for keeping the lather warm. I still mix it up in my mixing bowl, then transfer it over.

Randy

Hey Guys!

While PM'ing with Brett G., I had a "lightbulb!" If you're not using your Moss Scuttle for shaving (or even if you are), if you have need of a double-boiler or a fondue pot and don't have one, this scuttle would serve right nice to keep cheese, chocolate (or whatever) melted and ready for dipping. Of course, I don't know if anyone is into fondue-ing anymore. Just keep your hot pot ready to refill the lower section if needed!

That scuttle in the pic looks pretty cool in camouflage colors!

~Tim :cool:

I love my Moss Scuttle.
proxy.php

Works like a champ.

Cliff

rtaylor61 said:
Ron,

I only use the scuttle for keeping the lather warm. I still mix it up in my mixing bowl, then transfer it over.

Randy

I just hate going to that much trouble to mix in one, pour into another, then have two to clean. I just set my big green coffee/soup mug on my mug warmer I bought at Wally World and have 'hot' lather. It will dry it out just a bit if you leave it on through the entire shave. I turn it on before I shower, soak the mug in hot water in the sink, then after showering set the hot mug on the hot warmer and mix away. I then turn it off after the second pass to prevent over drying the lather. It still stays 'more than warm' for at least two more passes. I do sometimes add just a few more drops of water to rehydrate it.

It's just one of those 'whatever works for you' deals. To me, one of the most important things is a BIG lather vessel...size does matter...at least to me! And a Moss Scuttle in the size I would really like would weigh entirely too much to handle. I have even considered a quaich, but I tend to like a round bottom vessel. Some shaving mugs I have are 'square' bottoms and seem to be a bit harder to produce lather. YMMV!

For comparison sake I thought I'd post some pics of my Large Moss Scuttle, Colonel Conk Mug and Big Green Coffee Mug, along with my ShaveMac 22579 Silvertip for reference.

View attachment 1079

View attachment 1080

View attachment 1081

View attachment 1082

The 23mm ShaveMac looks lost in the Big Green Coffee Mug, but I love making lather in it. Instead of running up and over the sides, it stays in the bottom and makes it easy to 'get extreme' in whipping it up! And like I said earlier, I like mounds of lather. Some may call it wasteful...some may even call it Irrational Exuberance...I just call it Luxuriously Lavish! :biggrin:

I know this is off topic but maybe someone can humor me. You know those machines in a barber shop that they use to create lather with that is warm? I have only seem one a few times but I wish I knew what they were and how to find them. I wonder if you can put your favorite shave cream/soap in it and it will pump out warm lather? I will have to look for this, I am now curious after all this warm lather talk.

Ok I found what I was talking about but its very expensive, something like this.
http://stores.atlantabarber.com/Detail.bok?no=184

http://www.shaveblog.com/2006/01/hot-cream.html

I may be shot for doing this, but Corey's shaveblog on the lather machine experience was actually pretty interesting. It is here. Just scroll down to the latherking entries.

I've always been intrigued by the Lather King, but I've never bought one.

I'm enjoying the moss scuttle very much though. I wish I knew that Sara would alter the dimensions for me before I received it.

Jim,

What a unique piece. And I really like the 'Saucer' to park the Scuttle in! I guess that makes you the only one with a 'Scuttle 'n Saucer'. :cool: Absolutely just too cool my man! A cool setup makes for a hot shave!

I'm getting more accustomed to using my Scuttle; I should say more accustomed to the size difference between the Scuttle and my former soup/latte mug. The more I use it, the more I like it! :001_smile

Somehow the 3rd dimension didn't come through my monitor I guess. Or my depth perception is way off. Either way...it's still a way too cool bowl.

My large brown scuttle has been boxed for over a month and is now waiting for me under the Christmas tree. Reading this thread doesn't make the wait any easier. :frown:

One week to go!

I have had my large one for about a month now. I love it. It's such a luxurious thing to have. Especially now, I live in Vermont and it was below 0 this morning. I was shaving before the heat came on. The hot lather felt sooo good! The only time I don't use it is when I take a shower.

I recommend them highly.

DaveS:cool:

I've been using a Moss Scuttle for about six months. I'd love to see a how-to video from someone who has a strong opinion on how they work best.

Personally, I love mine, but I hate the fact that I travel so much I don't get a chance to use it much. I may have to e-mail Sara to see if she can dream up something in a travel model.

I did put rubbber feet on mine because I have a stone countertop in my bathroom, and didn't want to scratch it.

Top Bottom