What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

Beer barrel cannons ... wowser.

Absolutely fascinating? I'd love to see pictures of these also. I'm intrigued to hear & be shown how beer barrels could be used in traditional brush making, particulary in the delicate art of hand tying knots?

This Rooney factory must be steeped in tradition. Does anyone have an email address for Lee Sabini that I can get him on? I'm in London soon and just have to see these brush making techniques first hand.

You can find it somehow.

Last edited:
Okay, here is an example of a picture Lee might send you:
View attachment 151937

He seems to make up new handle designs just to try them out, maybe 3 brushes at a time. This handle is designed after an old fashioned beer barrel. Lee explains to me that before the war, the cannons for tying knots were made from beer barrels because these were cheap and the wood had been soaked and so didn't stick to the badger hair. Actually, Lee says he still uses cannons made from old beer barrels. I think this is very cool. My apologies if the actual spelling is canon, not cannon.

Oh, and Lee says this handle design is very comfortable in the hand. I believe it.

The brush in this particular picture has a 24mm knot and 50mm loft. Sound perfect? (not asking you, Ken)

Andrew

Andrew

If you get any more information about this technique I would be very interested to know more. My family has 100 years experience of making brushes and I have just been speaking with my dad and neither of us have ever heard of this before. Can't believe this has slipped under the Simpson family radar!

Gary

Andrew

If you get any more information about this technique I would be very interested to know more. My family has 100 years experience of making brushes and I have just been speaking with my dad and neither of us have ever heard of this before. Can't believe this has slipped under the Simpson family radar!

Gary

Gary, it's great to know you are following this thread. I have asked Lee to send some pictures, and he said he would put some good ones together in the next few days. He mentioned that only a few of his cannons (sp.?) were made of the beer barrel wood - some of the older ones. I'll post what he sends me - should be interesting.

Andrew

Gary, it's great to know you are following this thread. I have asked Lee to send some pictures, and he said he would put some good ones together in the next few days. He mentioned that only a few of his cannons (sp.?) were made of the beer barrel wood - some of the older ones. I'll post what he sends me - should be interesting.

Andrew

Look forward to it. My grandfather used to speak with Priscilla often over many years and I can't recollect hearing this method before. Has left me a bit confused really!

I know patience is hard, it is the same for me when I order things from the US so I do sympathise. All I will add is that it really is worth the wait.

The Beauty and The Beast are cooooomiiiiing...:tongue_sm
Ladies and gentelmans, It's a pleasure to intorduce you The Beauty and The Beast!! The bigest knot/loft sizes are 28/56mm; the smaller is 25/53mm.

Pre Bloom pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Pic in comparison with the Rooney 1/3 silvertip.

proxy.php

Pic in comparison with the Semogue 2000 boar brush.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Left to rigth: Rooney 1/2 silvertip, M&F 25/53 bloomed after cleaning one time, Rooney 1/3 silvertip, M&F 28/56 bloomed after one shave, Vulfix the Grosvenor reknoted with TGN UK Super Badger 23/60mm.

proxy.php

Top Bottom