What's new

Morris and Forndran (history)

Hi, my name Scott and I have been reading this forum for a while now and thought I'd let you know what I know about Morris and Forndran. I believe they were in Finsbury park London in the early 1900s and moved to Bletchley Buckinghamshire in the late 1950s.

I was employed by them in 1976, as apprentice cabinet maker. Around 1983 a long time employee of 69 years, Jim Hill, took me under his wing and taught me his trade, which was the turning on the lathe. After Jim retired, I was turning the shaving brushes, razor handles, hammer and gavels etc for companies including Floris, D R Harris. Truefitt & Hill, Taylors of Old Bond Street to name a few.

In May 1993 Morris and Forndran closed, due to its parent company S J Rose, over extending itself, in the move of all its operations to a new location in Bletchley. So June1993 myself and the workshop manager Tony, purchased the materials and machinery from the liquidators and started Anthony Scott Ltd to carry on with the trade that was using the skills that had been passed down over the years. The company ran until 2006 but due to health issues we had to close. We met Lee Sabini at our factory where he purchased some of our materials, stock and machinery. He then took on the name of Morris and Forndran

Hi, my name Scott and I have been reading this forum for a while now and thought I'd let you know what I know about Morris and Forndran. I believe they were in Finsbury park London in the early 1900s and moved to Bletchley Buckinghamshire in the late 1950s.

I was employed by them in 1976, as apprentice cabinet maker. Around 1983 a long time employee of 69 years, Jim Hill, took me under his wing and taught me his trade, which was the turning on the lathe. After Jim retired, I was turning the shaving brushes, razor handles, hammer and gavels etc for companies including Floris, D R Harris. Truefitt & Hill, Taylors of Old Bond Street to name a few.

In May 1993 Morris and Forndran closed, due to its parent company S J Rose, over extending itself, in the move of all its operations to a new location in Bletchley. So June1993 myself and the workshop manager Tony, purchased the materials and machinery from the liquidators and started Anthony Scott Ltd to carry on with the trade that was using the skills that had been passed down over the years. The company ran until 2006 but due to health issues we had to close. We met Lee Sabini at our factory where he purchased some of our materials, stock and machinery. He then took on the name of Morris and Forndran
Hello there and welcome to Badger&Blade!

That is a very interesting inside story of a great success in the continuation of a venerable shaving company despite the odds, for a good thirteen years.

It's obvious you have a great amount of experience and knowledge of the making of some of the finest shaving tools, as well as the perspective of keeping a traditional business going so I am sure you will be very happy here!

Again, welcome.

Scott,

Thanks for the background story about my favorite brush maker. If you don’t mind my asking, what was Lee’s involvement with the company before he bought it, and how did you meet him?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great story how life can carry on, I know of few other companies in the shaving world that have changed hands over the decades also. Morris and Forndran makes some nice brushes, looks like the new owners are keeping up the quality control.

Scott,

Thanks for the background story about my favorite brush maker. If you don’t mind my asking, what was Lee’s involvement with the company before he bought it, and how did you meet him?
Hi Lee had nothing to do with Morris and Forndran or Anthony Scott ltd. We used to do some repairs for Rooney's and when we decided to shut the company down he enquired about buying some of our machinery so he came to the Anthony Scott factory. Lee did not buy the company he just took over the Morrison and Forndran name

Sorry cannot agree or disagree as I have not been in the trade since 2006 and not stayed up to date with what's going on until I came across this site

Thanks for sharing Scott !

Wow great story .
many times the name alone is not enough …
it is a real pity, however, that many excellences ( like you ) have been lost.
who would have thought that the wet shave would be reborn ?

Top Bottom