What's new

Morik's first PIF

Hello fellow shavers (Badgers? Not sure what we call ourselves),

I've been here a while and have accumulated some products that I'd like to PIF. Mostly soaps & aftershaves.
I've never done a PIF before, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

So first, the list of stuff:

Scuttles:
1 dirty bird pottery brush scuttle. I prefer my G20. (Will include this so long as it fits in the flat rate box, if it doesn't then I'll find something else to do with it.)
(If the winner prefers, I will not include this.)

Bath Soaps: I found a bag of (completely unused) Mystic Water Soap bath soaps. Full size bars & some sample bars. None of the scents are for me (my wife is super sensitive to most scents).

Razor blades:
Just for fun I'll toss in a couple Astra SPs and Med Preps, unless the winner doesn't want them.
(I have lots, they are my main two blades)

Creams:
- Maybe 1/5th tube of proraso green shaving cream.
My first cream, it is kinda meh, though I haven't used it in forever so maybe it was my technique :-D. Anyway, I've moved on to other creams and won't be using the rest, so someone else should use it.

Aftershaves:
- Stirling Glacial Lemon mentholated balm: One 4oz bottle, used once.
Too liquidy for my taste, even after much shaking. (Stays kind of separated.) Also the lemon scent was too strong for me.

- Nivea for men balm. 3 unopened bottles, 1 open bottle used once.
The scent is not to my liking; I ordered a 4-pack thinking it was unscented. Its not.

- SaintCharlesShave Avocado balm. 4oz bottle (I think its 4oz). Used once.
The scent is too strong for me.

Soaps:
- Martin de Candre (MdC), Unscented. 1 tub. Slightly used (maybe 6 shaves off it).
Turns out I'm allergic to something in it :(. The more sensitive areas of my face bright red and burn. (Took me a bit to narrow down as I was also experimenting with new razors, blades, and techniques at the time, but after more trials, its definitely the MdC. I did some research and it seems a very small number of people have this reaction to it. My unsubstantiated guess is that it is the coconut acid ingredient, as I don't see that ingredient in any of my other soaps, and haven't had this reaction to anything else.
BTW the unscented version definitely has a chemically odor to it. Not super unpleasant, but not pleasant either. Fades pretty fast though. Fantastic performer in terms of lather though.

- Razorock XXX: One tub, unused.
Smelled it, not for me.

- Razorock Mudder Focker: One tub, used once
The scent is somewhat pleasant, reminiscent of a strong cologne. Too strong for me though. Great lather.

- SaintCharlesShave "Smoke and Beads": Sample puck, unused.
Not a fan of the scent.

- Mystic Water Soap: "Prospect Creek". Unopened puck. Mentholated, peppermint.
There are other mentholated soaps that I like better. I can't seem to get the lather down from this one; its pretty protective, but I always end up with tons of tiny bubbles instead of a nice rich cream.

- Mitchel's Wool Fat (MWF): 1 puck, moderately used (10-15 shaves off it?)
While this performs like a boss, the scent is not to my liking. I've found enough other solidly performing soaps now that I'm ready to give this one up.

I have several more soaps on my backlog to try out; I will likely be adding (based on initial impression from the smell, but I want to give them a shot first):
(EDIT 9/17: They are added!)

- DR Harris, Arlington, 1 puck. Used once. A piney scent.
Got decent lather out of it, but 2 problems.
1) It makes me sneeze pretty bad. (Most soaps make me sneeze at least some, but this one was worse than most.)
2) I had a similar reaction as to the MdC: very red & burned cheeks

- Razorock, Classic, 1 tub, unused
Smelled it again and decided it just wasn't for me. The scent isn't unpleasant; its kind of an Amaretto smell. Just not my style.

All soaps are either:
- In the original container they came in.
- Not in a container (only for unopened pucks/samples, they are wrapped but not in a container)
- In a tupperware container if I got it without a container and used it at all. (I'll send you the tupperware.) EDIT: I'll saran wrap & label them--the tupperware will take up too much space. I imagine I'm gonna have trouble fitting it all!

I'll flat rate ship it to the winner.
EDIT: If you are outside the US, I'll still ship it to you, but unless you are very broke (we can chat), I'd appreciate some help with the shipping cost. Flat rate box in the US is $12. International is $66. Big difference...

The rules:

• You must have had at least 25 meaningful posts. (By the cutoff date.)
  • Member since July 2015
  • You may keep whatever you like out of the above. re-PIF anything you do not keep & use. (Do not throw away, do not sell)
  • My intention is to let someone who hasn't experienced any or most of these soaps give them a shot. (The other stuff is a bonus.) So while not a strict requirement that I'll be checking, I'd appreciate it if those who have already experienced most of the soaps above would abstain from entering.

If you meet the above requirements and wish to participate, start your post with:
I'm in

The signup cutoff is October 14th (4 weeks from now).

Hope someone enjoys these soaps!

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'm in. I haven't tried any of these soaps. Most will probably be added to my Active Duty PIF stash (assuming i win)

I'm in I need to start trying some soaps. I've been at this over 6 months and have only tried VDH luxury and deluxe. I keep saying I'm going to order one, but the wild hunts and RAD keep taking up all my shaving budget. I've been thinking of doing a razor PIF just want to try the ones I didn't like a couple more times and see what I think with more experience first.

Not in. I've tried most of these soaps.

As a side note, I've always thought coconut acid was the another term for coconut oil.

Acid meaning "fatty acid" = oil

If this is the case, coconut oil is widely used and your reaction to MdC may be something else in it.

Now, I may be wrong and I do reserve the right to be wrong at least 10 times per day. :001_smile

Last edited:
Hmm, if coconut acid = coconut oil, then yeah it must (well, may) be something else. (IIRC) I didn't see anything else in the list that isn't in some of my other soaps. Maybe its a concentration thing, and they just use a lot more of one of those ingredients and I'm sensitive to it, but only when there is a lot.

WOW what a collection. I think the only thing I have tried is DRharris (I like it) and I am currious about the fabled MdC. HOWEVER the last thing I need is to actually posses more soaps (or God forbid learn that I like another). I am NOT interested in being included in the PIF but I think who ever gets a crack at your box of soaps is going to have some fun exploring.

NOT IN

Edited: After JBaker23's post, I am withdrawing my "I'm in". I can't in good conscience participate when there are brothers among us for whom this would be a shining point in a dark time.

Thank you, Morik, for the PIF, and JBaker23, best of luck for your life's fortune to turn for the better!

Last edited:
Top Bottom