What's new

Morgan Briar Cigar

Anyone on here have one, and if so, what are your thoughts. Haven’t smoked a pipe in a while, but would like to pick it back up.
I have one. Just got it about a week ago. The model cigar I ordered took approximately 3 weeks longer to receive because of the special finish. Unfortunately, my cigar is still nestled in its case unsmoked.

I am sure you are contemplating the same issues I was prior to purchasing. I ended up watching several of Chris Morgan’s and assorted YouTube videos. I decided on the limited edition metal lightning version. Few like mine out in the wild according to Chris Morgan. He gave me an idea of what he meant by “rare.”

I could have just as well been happy enough and lived with a regular finished Briar Cigar. I instead had to go with the limited edition Silver Lightning Metal Briar Cigar. Since CM only offers the metal lightning series on a occasional basis I blindly took a chance. These cigars are beautiful pieces of kit with or without the lightning finishes. I figure I kinda made a mess of the wood grain finish on my cigar with the high voltage lightning strikes; but, what a pattern. It really is remarkable how that silver neatly fills in ALL the nooks and crannies of the high voltage strikes and tendrils. It certainly is a one of a kind piece.

I also have been hoarding copious amounts of the cigar blended tobacco recently. I planned on only fueling this briar with those blends. I probably will stick with that agenda for now. I so far have accumulated several coveted pounds of Lane Limited Andullo and Cornell & Diehl The Haunting just for the task at hand.

So, not much help to you out of the gate. I’ll probably add more details as time goes by. I wouldn’t have been able to give an honest assessment anyway being I’ve only had the Briar :3 Cigar about a week now.

Cool. Thanks for the replies.

I haven’t had a pipe in probably 5-6 years. Used to smoke mostly English blends. Like the idea of capping the cigar.

Started looking around and about wept when I discovered McClelland is no more.

Have a bunch of tins in the basement I’m gonna try to bring back to proper moisture for smoking. Hopefully they’re not too far gone.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Cool. Thanks for the replies.

I haven’t had a pipe in probably 5-6 years. Used to smoke mostly English blends. Like the idea of capping the cigar.

Started looking around and about wept when I discovered McClelland is no more.

Have a bunch of tins in the basement I’m gonna try to bring back to proper moisture for smoking. Hopefully they’re not too far gone.
I'm sure the McClelland can be revived so long as it's not dust. Tobacco does a good job picking up moisture again.

I've only heard good things about the briar cigars so I'd wager they are a pretty safe bet. I haven't personally been disappointed by any Chris Morgan product I've bought. I own three pipes and two radiator bowls which are in regular rotation.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
A Briar Cigar is at the very top end of my price range (my one Dunhill was the exception to the rule, being only $40 over), so I haven't made the leap yet. I've been very tempted by the new "Stogie Edition" though. Right now all I have is a Cob Cigar, which is pretty self-explanatory. My interest in them is their similarity to the old zeppelin pipes. The Cob Cigar certainly smokes better than the two zeppelins I have, but I don't find it to be particularly great. I've heard the Briar Cigar smokes better than the Cob, but I haven't been brave enough to get one yet.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I’ve had a cob cigar and a briar cigar and they’re both fine. They smoke ok, although it’s a little challenging getting them packed well and keeping them lit. I found that shag tobacco smokes much better than ribbon or flake in these, and having a long narrow tamper like a golf tee is important. Also, you’ll want to rotate the briar cigar a bit as you smoke it so the hot spot above the cherry isn’t the same the whole time. But they do give a decent short smoke and it is a very portable form factor.

Ultimate I ditched mine because I have a Wiebe/Heinemann turban radiator pipe that I like better and does essentially the same thing, but that’s a lot more coin.

Feel free to ask if you have questions getting the smoke dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had a cob cigar and a briar cigar and they’re both fine. They smoke ok, although it’s a little challenging getting them packed well and keeping them lit. I found that shag tobacco smokes much better than ribbon or flake in these, and having a long narrow tamper like a golf tee is important. Also, you’ll want to rotate the briar cigar a bit as you smoke it so the hot spot above the cherry isn’t the same the whole time. But they do give a decent short smoke and it is a very portable form factor.

Ultimate I ditched mine because I have a Wiebe/Heinemann turban radiator pipe that I like better and does essentially the same thing, but that’s a lot more coin.

Feel free to ask if you have questions getting the smoke dialed in.

Thanks for the response. I’m gonna hold off on the briar stogie for now. Still on my wish list though.

It's also not on my short list. When I looked at the price, I kept thinking of traditional pipes on my short list I could have for the price of the briar cigar. That doesn't mean that at some point I may look at it and bite the bullet.

proxy.php

I have one and love it for a quick smoke at work. For those of us who need 5-10 minutes to gather themselves while working, I highly recommend them. I also have the flat mouthpiece.

Drew

Now would be an opportune time for those sitting on the fence about buying a Morgan Pipes Briar Cigar. Tobacco Pipes is running a pipe discount and the price for this pipe will likely never be any cheaper. Take your chances...

I just got one a few days ago. It smokes really dry , but the briar tends to get a little hot, which worries me a bit. But maybe once it has built up some cake, things get cooler. I kind of like it, anyway.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Chris Morgan always gets me with his "mystery pack" sales. I just ordered a Briar Cigar last night, Stogie Edition.

Top Bottom