What's new

Morgan Bones Jaw Hanger help

I purchased this recently and really like it, but I am having an issue. This thing is smoking extremely wet for me. This is causing me to not be able to smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl and build a cake there. At first I thought the huge moisture buildup was due to smoking an aromatic, so the next time I used it, I smoked Carter Hall, but the results were pretty much the same (using breath method).

Also it's just super annoying to have gurgling and not be able to do much about it. The stem and shank hole don't seem to line up very well and I cannot pass a pipe cleaner through to the bowl with the stem connected.

How difficult would it be to drill the hole in a way that I can properly pass a pipe cleaner through it, without ruining the pipe?

Is it worth the effort or should I just put this pipe down until I get better technique (new to pipe smoking) or could part of the problem be that the holes don't completely line up?

Thanks!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Most bent pipes won’t pass a cleaner without first bending the end of the pipe cleaner before putting it through the pipe. Once inserted, push until you feel it stop, then pull it out just a bit, rotate the cleaner and try again. Eventually it will make it all the way down to the bowl. I’ll make a vid later.

Also the breathe method, for me anyway, induces some slobbering and the saliva finds its way down into the pipe.

Finally, moisture is a result of combustion, as well as the act of drawing air through the bowlful of packed tobacco that still has some moisture content. Slowing down will give the briar time to absorb the condensate. If you find you always have wet dottle, there is no need for cake in the heel anyways.

FWIW I just pass a cleaner when I get gurgling.

Normally if I have gurgling i'll pass a cleaner through as well, but for the life of me I can't seem to get one through on this pipe.

I don't really ever have gurgling or wet heal issues with my Savinelli 624.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Normally if I have gurgling i'll pass a cleaner through as well, but for the life of me I can't seem to get one through on this pipe.

I don't really ever have gurgling or wet heal issues with my Savinelli 624.

Supposedly the more bent a pipe the more turbulence, and sometimes more condensation. Then again it could just be the pipe.

If your outside you can shake the moisture out but I wouldn't recommend it inside. Could also try lightly blowing to force the moisture gurgling back into the chamber.

On my bent outdoorsmen pipe when I first got it the draw was kinda restricted. Ended up being that because of how the bend was the drilling in the briar didn't align with the stem drilling and the tenon was too tight to the briar at the end of the mortis. Thus cutting the draught hole diameter down significantly. I ended up having to shorten the tenon a little to allow a little more space for the air to flow. Probably not the issue with your pipe but sometimes they do have some little issues to be tweaked. Sometimes widening the draught hole can help but I wouldn't attempt it just yet.

Regarding cake on the very bottom of the chamber, don't worry about it if it never forms up there. Less to ream later. And if cake isn't forming the tobacco isn't burning (could be an high draft hole or other factors too) chances are other tobacco won't burn there and you won't be burning through your bowl.

Ok I wont worry about cake in the bottom of the bowl on this pipe then. Lighting and trying to smoke wet tobacco really is not pleasant anyway.

I would like to figure out a way to get a pipe cleaner through this damn thing though.

Yes, great video! I was finally able to get a cleaner through to the bowl. I still think this might need to be opened some however. Its drilled pretty off center or is this normal for bents?

I took the best pics I could. What do you guys think?
proxy.php
proxy.php

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 8

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If the hole was drilled straight inline with the stem it wouldn’t end up in the bowl. It would exit somewhere below.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
And I’ll say the moisture will get better after you’ve smoked it 5-10 times.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Great job of 'splainin, @ Kentos! Obviously the greater the degree of bend in the shank, the more offset occurs, prime example is shown in a cross section diagram of a Peterson System pipe. In some cases, the drilling of the draught hole will actually notch the bottom of the mortis hole opening.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
What about inside the chamber? does the draft hole intersect at the bottom or is it higher on the sidewall? A low heal can be raised with wood puddy or pipe mud.

Its slightly higher. When the pipe cleaner is ran through it does not rub the heal like the rest of my pipes, bit its not super high either. I would say a millimeter or two.

Top Bottom