What's new

Morgan Bones Black Stain

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
With Bones Pipes gaining quite a following I wanted to dress one up to see how good one could look with a little color and shine.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
9E581645-BCCD-4A02-A5F4-F5A789CBA3EB.jpeg

This is a Bones short Prince. Plugged the chamber with a wine cork.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
DB4769D7-6C23-4314-9C41-8FDBF4B3F62E.jpeg

For this pipe I splurge on a TransTint dye. It’s pricy at 24.00 bucks, but so don’t think I’ll ever use it up on pipes.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
B42E20E8-887D-4945-AD50-D586A172C9C3.jpeg

I added about 15 drops to a ounce or so of denatured alcohol and applied with a pipe cleaner. Despite taking great care I got it all over my fingers.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
C93F910B-07F6-4372-9591-81C0A61E15CB.jpeg

3 coats. The first coat was already black, but what he heck I have potentially gallons of this stain so I went to town on it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's not blue... Or a cat ... Poor Topher.

Pipe looks good!

Wax coat? I know Fieblings runs until it is sealed...

Did a cheap tung oil on my other bones and waxed it on the buffer.
image.jpg

I need to practice my own waxing as the shine is inconsistent.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
image.jpg

one coat of low gloss tung oil. Might try some shellac next, but it’s a bit more pricey compared to 6.00 for the tung.

Good job, it looks great.

I'm going to do the same thing with my cauldron. Do you think I can just use carnauba wax to buff it after? I dont have a buffing wheel, so I'll have to do it by hand with a rag.

Would rubbing alcohol work for dye delusion?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Good job, it looks great.

I'm going to do the same thing with my cauldron. Do you think I can just use carnauba wax to buff it after? I dont have a buffing wheel, so I'll have to do it by hand with a rag.

Would rubbing alcohol work for dye delusion?

I think rubbing alcohol would work fine, it may just take longer to dry.

I tried a few things to seal the stain like oils, paste wax, canauba on the buffer, but the stain still came off when it got wet. Some kind of sealer is needed. Most advice I read was shellac, but I ended going with tung oil and wax after.

How did you strip the carnuba off it before staining?

I don't like shellac for finishes that get handled, had a lot of them break down. I really like tung oil for a hard lasting finish, even if it can take day days to harden and cure out.

I don't like shellac for finishes that get handled, had a lot of them break down. I really like tung oil for a hard lasting finish, even if it can take day days to harden and cure out.

I had this question also. I would like to get a Bones pipe if the long poker is available. I'm thinking of using danish oil with a wax finish. I do really like the way the tung oil looks on the pipe.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

I didn’t. I think the carnauba finish is a wipe on if anything, not a buff on. The stain takes immediately to the surface of the sandblast.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
When rubbed hard with a wet finger a bit of the stain still rubs off. One coat of cut rate tung oil isn’t enough...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
image.jpg

2 coats tung oil. It’s a bit glossier than I wanted but oh well.

Top Bottom