What's new

More than just a date code?

In the Buy/Sell/Trade section, ReadyMe asked something about the selection of Gilette adjustables that GooseMePlease is offering and I'd been wondering about the same thing myself. The answer hasn't been offered over there, so I'm bringing the question here.

Is there a real difference between the Gillette adjustables from one year to the next? And while I'm here, how does the the head of an adjustable differ from that of a Super Speed? I'd imagine the SS is slimmer, but do the variances end there?

DemocritusJr said:
In the Buy/Sell/Trade section, ReadyMe asked something about the selection of Gilette adjustables that GooseMePlease is offering and I'd been wondering about the same thing myself. The answer hasn't been offered over there, so I'm bringing the question here.

Is there a real difference between the Gillette adjustable from one year to the next? And while I'm here, how does the the head of an adjustable differ from that of a Super Speed? I'd imagine the SS is slimmer, but do the variances end there?

As a practical matter for daily shaving the date range has a negligible affect on the razors in the same model- for example a D 1958 and an E 1959 fatboy are not going to shave differently as a group. Most men will agree there are differences in individual razors caused by wear and tear etc.

The super speed has a flatter Profile than the 1-9 adjustable and is available in a couple of different permutations,as a general rule the earlier ones seem to be favored.

If you are shopping for your first DE razor I strongly urge you to start with a Gillette TECH razor, Many of the newbies here have done so and have had very good results. Post up any more questions- you will get more help than you could imagine.

No, no. Not shopping, really, just curious. I started with an old 3-piece travel Gilette. It doesn't have a date code at all, just a the Gillette logo and a "Made in England" stamp. I've since picked up a couple of fatboys and will probably buy the SuperSpeed that the antique store down the street from me has. Just wanted to find out if there're any real variations, wear aside, in the same models.

Thanks!

DemocritusJr said:
No, no. Not shopping, really, just curious. I started with an old 3-piece travel Gilette. It doesn't have a date code at all, just a the Gillette logo and a "Made in England" stamp. I've since picked up a couple of fatboys and will probably buy the SuperSpeed that the antique store down the street from me has. Just wanted to find out if there're any real variations, wear aside, in the same models.

Thanks!

As Jim said, there are differences in the SuperSpeeds with the early ones being preferred (they usually have no date code and a straight handle). The later 1950s Superspeeds may have a flaired handle at the base and these are less desireable than the 1940s SS but perhaps may not be bad shavers in their own right.

Dennis

FWIW, I have both a 40's and a 50's (flared end) SS and find little/no difference in shaving quality between them.

Top Bottom